• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I need someone to root my Droid

Follow these instructions and you'll be fine:

* Once you install RSD lite, set it to run as administrator. Ask if you don't know how to do that. The easiest way is to find the program on your PC (the one that the desktop shortcut points to), right click on it and set it to run as adminstrator. Ask if you need help.

Okay... I installed RSD Lite, and I found where to set it to run as Administrator, but when I pick the Administrator option, there is a space for a password, and it is requiring a specific password that I do not know... it won't let me go any further without a password. I don't know if there is a standard *default* password I should use, but nothing I key in works. Is it necessary for me to set RSD Lite to run as Adminstrator?

Upvote 0
Believe me, this isn't that difficult w/ such a helpful and supportive community around. I'm not very technologically inclined, but w/ guidance and friendly advice I have come a very long way. I do suggest learning to do this by yourself b/c you'll need the knowledge in the future when you wish to customize your Droid further. And when something doesn't go quite the way you want it to (and it def won't from time to time), you'll know how to solve the problem.

Upvote 0
Okay... I installed RSD Lite, and I found where to set it to run as Administrator, but when I pick the Administrator option, there is a space for a password, and it is requiring a specific password that I do not know... it won't let me go any further without a password. I don't know if there is a standard *default* password I should use, but nothing I key in works. Is it necessary for me to set RSD Lite to run as Adminstrator?

What kind of computer are you using? Is it custom built or name brand?
The main account you use daily should have administrator privileges. It would be a password you'd know because you'd have to log on every time you booted up your computer. Unless who ever set up your computer made your account a limited user. Are you running Vista or 7? XP won't need administrator to run.
To run it do you right click on the program and select "run as administrator"?

Upvote 0
What kind of computer are you using? Is it custom built or name brand?
The main account you use daily should have administrator privileges. It would be a password you'd know because you'd have to log on every time you booted up your computer. Unless who ever set up your computer made your account a limited user. Are you running Vista or 7? XP won't need administrator to run.
To run it do you right click on the program and select "run as administrator"?

I'm running XP. I don't have a password setup to log on or anything. It is one of the last computers you could buy (about 3 years ago or so) that still had XP on it rather than Vista (Vista had just come out). Anyways, it flat out will NOT allow me to set RSD Lite as Administrator and leave the password field blank. Nor does it accept any password. Just wondering if this is really necessary.

ALSO... tried installing the 64bit drivers, and I keep getting an error message telling me that my processor is not compatible with installing those drivers!

I don't want to get into Mac vs PC flame wars here... but crap like this is precisely why I switched to a Mac. I'm a smart guy - but I don't do technical stuff like this all the time, and I don't have time to research and troubleshoot one Windows problem after another. I just need things to work. My experience with Windows is whenever I really need it to work, it fails. THIS, my friends, is why I was asking for assistance in the first place. I want to understand the process, but I just don't have the time (I run and operate my own company) or the expertise to solve these ancillary problems quickly when they occur.

Upvote 0
I'm running XP. I don't have a password setup to log on or anything. It is one of the last computers you could buy (about 3 years ago or so) that still had XP on it rather than Vista (Vista had just come out). Anyways, it flat out will NOT allow me to set RSD Lite as Administrator and leave the password field blank. Nor does it accept any password. Just wondering if this is really necessary.

ALSO... tried installing the 64bit drivers, and I keep getting an error message telling me that my processor is not compatible with installing those drivers!

For XP you do not need to run RSD Lite as an administrator. That's one of those tricky Vista features you have to use. Since you are running XP you also only need the 32 bit drivers. XP only ran in 32 bit mode regardless of your processor. Vista will run 32 or 64, so if you ran Vista you would need to check which version of Vista you were running to determine which drivers.

Reactions: djkeller3
Upvote 0
For XP you do not need to run RSD Lite as an administrator. That's one of those tricky Vista features you have to use. Since you are running XP you also only need the 32 bit drivers. XP only ran in 32 bit mode regardless of your processor. Vista will run 32 or 64, so if you ran Vista you would need to check which version of Vista you were running to determine which drivers.

Well, that explains it. Thank you for the advice... feeling much better!! :eek: Guess I should just chill out and know that I will eventually have a rooted Droid... you all are awesome!

Upvote 0
You may want to give this a look. I wrote this up hoping it would cut down on some searching and make it seem not so daunting of a task for new rooters. Some people take offense to me cutting down on the use of the search button and duplicating work from multiple threads, but I like consolidation. That should get you through the process fairly easy.

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-droid/78483-how-root-2-1-a.html

Upvote 0
One thing that I had to do the other day when I used RSD lite is I had to download winwar and unzip RSD lite. You also have to install the 32 bit drivers for windows xp. Once you flash your phone you are pretty much set to root. It's not as hard as it seems. Watch some of the videos on here or go to droid-life.com, look under the root section and there are 2 videos ( which i watched), that will take you right through the process. Good luck

Upvote 0
Hey all, I am deeply thankful for all the help, support and encouragement to root on my own... because last night... I DID IT!! No problems at all that I couldn't work out on my own.

I got BB1.0 installed (after downloading Rom Manager). Went with the full wipe options and installed BB1.0. I selected the 1.3ghtz setting first, and when it rebooted, I was stuck in a boot loop. The only way I could stop the boot loop was to do a Nandroid recovery (thank God for the advice given to perform these or I would have been screwed royally). It recovered nicely and I installed BB1.0 again - this time selecting 1.2 ghtz instead and then I got a normal boot up.

All I can say is that my Droid is running soooo smooth now and with break-neck speed - even with live wallpapers running in the background with lots of widgets scattered over 7 Helix homescreens! Un-friggin-believeable! If I'd known it would be this sweet I would have rooted as soon as I heard about it.

Again, many thanks to everyone... indeed, rooting is everything people are saying it is... maybe even more!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones