1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

I need to know the Android generations

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by doggiela, Aug 15, 2011.

1. doggiela

doggiela Lurker
    None

Aug 15, 2011
    hi everyone,

i am a newbie to Android. when i searched online, they listed too many android phones. At this point, i dont know which ones are better than others.
    Does anyone know the android generations? ie, which were first and last out in the market?

Please let me know and thanks in advance!

Advertisement

2. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    Wikipedia has an entire list of all the Android handsets ever made. I'd start there.

3. Bob Maxey

Bob Maxey Android Expert
    None

Sep 24, 2010
    For every person telling you that Brand A rules, there are thirty telling you Brand A sucks, try Brand L. Google that and wash, rinse, and repeat.

I suggest deciding what you actually need in a phone, how much you want to spend, and pick a carrier. Also, next month Brand L will be replaced by thirty others just like yours and they all rule, they all suck, they have better screens more memory, and the cost is fifty percent lower. Welcome to the technology curve... do not fall off.

EarlyMon and B2L like this.
  4. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    Welcome to the forums!

The first Android phone was made by HTC. Now lots of good models are out there from HTC, Motorola (getting bought by Google now), Samsung, Sony, LG, Hauwei and others.

The latest version of Android is 2.3.x (where x is .5 today, but most phones at the 2.3 level are at .3 or .4 of that).

The versions have names to go in place of numbers - Cupcake (1.5), Donut (1.6), Eclair (2.0 and 2.1), Froyo (2.2) and Gingerbread (2.3). Better tablets run Honeycomb (3.x) and in the near future, we expect a unifying version for phones and tablets called Ice Cream Sandwich. (Look at the first letter of each name to see the trick: C, D, E, F...)

Minimum you'd likely want is Froyo, but starting out with the latest (Gingerbread) on a phone will suggest you've picked up something more future-proof.

There are many variants and while there are some notable exceptions, most of the models have counterparts with different names (but essentially the same phone) as marketed by and for different carriers.

In the US especially, pick a carrier with good coverage and a decent plan for you, then pick your phone - cannot stress that enough.

Hope this helps! :)

5. takeshi

takeshi Android Expert
    None

Dec 6, 2009
    ^ This. Shop based on your needs/wants -- not some generic "best" list that may or may not be relevant to what you need/want. Or based on release date for that matter. The latest release date doesn't guarantee that a given device is best suited to you.