• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help I need to stabilize & speed up my Magic, opinions wanted.

tig5

Lurker
Sep 9, 2011
PVT 32B
HBOOT-1.33.0013
CPLD-10
Radio-2.22.23.02

Hey guys,
I recently bought an HTC Magic off Ebay. It came from Hong Kong with a version of Cyanogenmod installed, ADW Launcher and a bunch of Chinese applications (most of which were preceded by QQ, e.g QQsecurity, QQmessaging) that I had to use SuperManager to remove.

The main problem I'm having is maintaining usable speed and stability. I'm quite a fresh Android user but I have spent some time trawling the net for info on how to speed up my phone but have had mixed results.

Once i get an application going it is usually ok. I can play games like Speedx 3D without issues and My Paper Plane. However, I have continual issues with my homepage taking a long time to draw, general tasks like messaging or facebook lagging a lot etc. I have experimented a lot with the settings on CM and ADW Launcher and have had temporary positive results.

The thing that confuses me is that the phone seems to have VERY little memory available and this can fluctuate between low and very low with no applications running. If I open AdvancedTaskKiller (I know these programs aren't well thought of) and close the 1 or 2 apps that may be running I have seen a maximum of 28M available at the top of the screen. This figure has been as low as 6M with no apps running. I have been into "running applications" and disabled them this way with the same results. At the moment for example, in my "running services" list it says at the bottom "Other: 38MB in 4, Avail: 6.7MB+0.00B in 0. I guess I'd like to know where all my memory is? I understand I have 190MB of RAM? What is using it all? In my app drawer I have a total of 48 icons, of which all that can be shifted to the SD card have been. Quite often when I go to open My Paper Planes it will say that I don't have enough memory to play it and I need to close some apps, even if there seemingly aren't many unessential ones running. I have noticed that if I go into manage apps and force stop Google Maps I get a slight performance increase but of course I need to kill this app often as it seems to keep re-spawning.

Soooo....what would you guys suggest I do? I'm looking for speed and stability first and foremost. I currently have ADW and Launcherpro installed, both run about the same. If I go into my system/app folder I have 2 "SuperUser" icons, one slightly bigger in size than the other. Can I safely remove the smaller one? Is it likely something in my system hogging RAM? Would I be better off with a different ROM? Can I find out which CM version I'm running? Is there an app I can download that will show me what is chewing up speed?

Any help/opinions would be much appreciated!

I use a 32A which I believe has more memory so I can't give specifics about what you should do. However I'd highly suggest doing a total reflash with the best combo for your device. It might take some reading over at XDA paying attention to the model you have. This forum is too dead for much help on this kind of thing so head over to xda. I'm running a 2.3.5 gingerbread rom on mine and it is better than new but it takes a little tweaking to make good use of the limited specs.

Upvote 0
tig5
Hi, I beg official firmware and everything will fall into place! I used this. MyTouch1.2_OTA_FRG83D_rooted_ZA_DO (T-Mobile). Copy it to the flash drive and rename it to update, then restart your phone holding down the house, from the menu choose to apply sdcard update.zip or apply any zip from sd
Unfortunately I can not even give a link, but if necessary I can throw a Private Message!

Upvote 0
Since it has original software, and many unwanted software.
You should do backup, and flash a new rom. But you probably need to read through many information, since you are new.

There isn't much you can do actually. It is old device now. 1st of 1st gen of android. Even the newer device has ram issue.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones