• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I plan to get this phone. Who's with me?

I don't know if this has been mention but I think the HTC EVO 4G LTE is the first phone to be release with ICS. I can't think of any other phone since Samsung Galaxy Nexus was release in October.(US)

:thinking: It won't be. Galaxy Nexus for Sprint are set to release on the 22nd.

If we're talking other than the Galaxy Nexus, yeah.

Upvote 0
Have to watch for the One X and S release dates for the USA as well...

And, just saying, the Verizon Galaxy Nexus delivered in December, the international (developer) GSM version was November.

PS - I think that every time the expression "retinal display" is used, a really cute kitten is overcome with a great sad.

Apple changed the definition of it for the iPad 3 (citing the exact reason I gave some time ago in the Evo forum), and many of us never bought it anyway.

Upvote 0
ahhh retina display, the dynamic marketing term of our favorite company... i'm glad they can just change the definition to suit their products only

Apple: the ipad has big PPI, anything over 300 is retina, blah blah blah

android: cool, i have phones with ~320 ppi now, we have retina too

Apple: UPDATE! our new ipad has ~350PPI so the old iphone doesn't have retina anymore because we are changing the definition to be 350 PPI but the new ipad DOES have it. all android devices don't have it any more so they must look crummier all the sudden

Android: Oh no! how did apple make our screens look crummier! noooooooo

Android: oh wait they still look just as brilliant, GTFO apple

all numbers used in the above skit were made up from my head as i don't know exactly what they are. good day

Lmfao! That was funny as hell!

Upvote 0
What is a "retina display?" When apple launched the first retina display device (iphone4), they said that it had a ppi of 3xx and it was a retina display because the human eye cannot detect pixels at a density of 300+. Ok, maybe yes, maybe no. Never really argued it. The screen did look nice.

Enter the new ipad. being marketed as a "retina display." Yet, the pixel density is less then 300. Well apple, you just told me that for something to be a retina display it had to have a 300ppi+ pix density... so how is this sub-300 ppi display being marketed as a "retina display?"

See the contradiction here?

Thats when I realized the retina display was just another marketing gimmick by apple. I tell ya, that Steve Jobs character never ceased to amaze me.

Yes.. I'm getting the EVO LTE! I think its awesome.. cant wait for it!

Upvote 0
As you get something closer to your eyes, you should see more details. Unless you cross the threshold where it's impossible for your eyes to focus that close up.

Apple claimed that they achieved that on the iPhone display and called it retinal.

I claimed that they played loose with that boundary point of close up, and Dr. Soniera, the source that Apple cited originally, agreed with me.

I also claimed that no one cares about that near-field boundary, and after laughing at fans who disagreed, Apple marketing agreed with me when marketing their new iPad - no one looks at things that way, judge from reasonable viewing distances.

Sound familiar?

There is no retinal display (*) and we all see differently. Better near field acuity exists. But it's one metric. It says zero about color or motion sensitivity or five other parameters that I could name.

If it feels good, do it, and if it looks good, buy it. ;) :)

*Footnote - poor kitty, there, there. There, there.

Upvote 0
The Sprint rep told me the $200 price is AFTER my $150 saving on a new contract. My Evo will be worth $80 to trade it in. But we'll see.
I'm not trading in my Evo. If something were to happen to my LTEvo, then I want a magnificent piece of hardware to fall back on until I get a replacement.

PS - I think that every time the expression "retinal display" is used, a really cute kitten is overcome with a great sad.
*Footnote - poor kitty, there, there. There, there.

Made for you.

Enjoy ;)
attachment.php

Attachments

• iClub280.gif
    iClub280.gif
    129.4 KB · Views: 257
Upvote 0
I won't have LTE in Eastern Washington State for awhile. I don't want to be w/o 4G speeds. My contract is up in November. I will wait at least through the summer and into fall, and likely until a year from now. There might be some phones as good as the EVO 4G LTE by then. I know it sounds like a long time, but if it has nothing but 3G then it is a deal breaker for me.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
I won't have LTE in Eastern Washington State for awhile. I don't want to be w/o 4G speeds. My contract is up in November. I will wait at least through the summer and into fall, and likely until a year from now. There might be some phones as good as the EVO 4G LTE by then. I know it sounds like a long time, but if it has nothing but 3G then it is a deal breaker for me.

I wouldn't be surprised if they worked out the issues with the quad-core/LTE compatibility by next summer (2013). It'd be a good, calculated bet that there'd be much better phones by then.

Upvote 0
And I will be here doing it again.

Evo launches are fun. No disrespect to anyone else, but the Evo crowd always seems like the friendliest and most fun loving. :)

ehhhhhhhhh it's because we are da best :p

i think a lot of it has to do with EVO exclusiveness on Sprint, the GSII crowd is worldwide and can't relate as much IMHO

but whatever it is, i agree that the EVO crowd is by far my favorite

Evo crowd sucks! :p

In all seriousness, it is one of the things I missed the most after moving on to the Photon. Although many of us Photon fanatics were original EVO owners, it was still nice having so many people on those forums and the forums constantly being active with different topics.

Upvote 0
I never felt like it was exclusive in the sense of excluding people.

I did feel like it was exclusive in the sense of OMGZ!! PWNIES!!! Look what I got, you have got to get you one of these!

So, compared to our expectations, both the Evo and 3vo were exclusively wonderful experiences compared to most personal electronics purchases. (With notable exceptions of people sometimes preferring other models, like drex and the Photon, but Android is all about choice, so how cool is that? Very.)

While the other superphone users were always going happy comparing their benchmarks to ours, we have always been more about comparing to what we had before (with noted exceptions of me whining that benchmarks are mostly useless :D and everyone being patient about that).

One of the oddest forums overall was for the Rezound. That made people so happy and so comparatively few issues that people didn't have much to chatter about. :)

Somehow, that group always felt a bit like EvoVille to me.

And with that, the penny finally dropped and the light just came on for what has been in the back of my mind all along.

HTC already has CDMA + LTE + 720P + extended memory with sd card building experience - the Rezound. And it came with a 1620 mAh battery.

And a whole lot of Rezound owners say that they hit it out of the park with that phone.

Reactions: CriticalCritic
Upvote 0
I called into sprint the other day and just like magic I have an upgrade. Can't wait to get this phone. I think the 3D was a disappointment, I sold mine and went back to the Evo and have been very happy. This is the phone that will keep me satisfied for another 2 years.
When did you get your last upgrade? Are you getting your upgrade early?

Upvote 0
So, compared to our expectations, both the Evo and 3vo were exclusively wonderful experiences compared to most personal electronics purchases. (With notable exceptions of people sometimes preferring other models, like drex and the Photon, but Android is all about choice, so how cool is that? Very.)

While the other superphone users were always going happy comparing their benchmarks to ours, we have always been more about comparing to what we had before (with noted exceptions of me whining that benchmarks are mostly useless :D and everyone being patient about that).

Benchmarks never really bothered me, during my original EVO days. That was, until, I started to run out of memory and the phone started to lag slightly because of it. I was actually on the verge of rooting that phone, especially because I didn't really care for the EVO 3D...and that's right when the Photon was announced.

Now that I've experienced Motorola, it's caused me to have a conflict between manufacturers. As much as I have been an avid HTC guy for the past 4-5 years, if Motorola continues to offer a superphone for Sprint, I'll always be considering it (along with the HTC offering). These 2 manufacturers just really sold me on their support.

Upvote 0
Benchmarks never really bothered me, during my original EVO days. That was, until, I started to run out of memory and the phone started to lag slightly because of it. I was actually on the verge of rooting that phone, especially because I didn't really care for the EVO 3D...and that's right when the Photon was announced.

Now that I've experienced Motorola, it's caused me to have a conflict between manufacturers. As much as I have been an avid HTC guy for the past 4-5 years, if Motorola continues to offer a superphone for Sprint, I'll always be considering it (along with the HTC offering). These 2 manufacturers just really sold me on their support.

I found a night and day difference with the 3vo rooted. A host of app crashing, media bugs and sound quality issues went away when I got rid of the 3D bloatware games - they were sharing memory with primary functions and really hosing things.

Hopefully, the ICS feature to freeze any system app you want will be there and we can address similar issues if they arrive on day one, no root required.

I like the Photon and Epic Touch success stories. I use them anytime someone tells me that Sprint doesn

Upvote 0
Call it what you want but right now there isn't a screen that looks as good as the iPhone 4s screen.

I just sold my 4s and currently back to my evo. Man its hard to resist the urge to get the new evo. Not sure if I can wait and see what apple brings. Or Samsung. Or Motorola. Ughhhhh eff it.

Upvote 0
If the Galaxy SIII gets the Exynos 5250, the choice between these two will be difficult. Although, the kickstand, camera and sense would still have me going Evo 4G LTE.
I have the quad core Tegra 3 in my Transformer Prime, and honestly, quad core isn't all it's cracked up to be so far. I'm not really seeing the benefits from all four cores on a regular basis... in my experience faster dual cores are going to be more efficiently used by Android in its current iteration.

Upvote 0
Call it what you want but right now there isn't a screen that looks as good as the iPhone 4s screen.

I just sold my 4s and currently back to my evo. Man its hard to resist the urge to get the new evo. Not sure if I can wait and see what apple brings. Or Samsung. Or Motorola. Ughhhhh eff it.

What are you comparing screen v.s. screen i.e. 3.5 (iphone) vs. 3.5 (HTC), because if your comparing iphone to larger screen size, your doing apple's and oranges because a smaller screen will have mpre dpi then a larger screen (not all cases, but most) and HTC has a phone(s) that have have more dpi then the iphone, I think it's the Rezound! So since the Rezound has a higher res screen, is the iphone still better!?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones