• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I plan to get this phone. Who's with me?

They sometimes own up to problems when there are enough complaints and it gets bad press.

What all the makers have done is kind of short sighted, and it goes like this -

Crank them out in assembly, do minimal QA defined by statistics. Expect to ship bad ones because taking returns for them is cheaper than deep inspection of every unit. Saves money, lowers prices to us, at the expense of some of us getting headaches.

But where do you return it? The store and they don't have a vested interest in playing that game.

So, to really check properly, you have to go to a corporate Sprint store and get a proper test - RF test in this case. If you bought from Sprint, they'll replace the bad one. Last year I had the same symptoms on my new phone from Radioshack. It was bad, so they sent me on my way with a note. I presented it to my Radioshack store, they said no problem and swapped me out with a good one.

Because the phone was bad, there was no charge even though I bought it elsewhere. Had it been good, I would have owed for an hour of shop time because I bought elsewhere. Had I bought from them, it would have been free regardless.

I got it done easily by dialing *2, talking to a rep, and having them set up the RF test appointment. When I walked into the store, there were no silly arguments because corporate had scheduled me, end of discussion.

Hope this helps! :)

Reactions: dan330
Upvote 0
Knock on wood, but so far my experience has been very positive. I haven't traveled widely yet, but reception seems solid. GPS locks fast. No wifi cut outs as of yet. Still getting used to ics/sense4 and will eventually (later tonight?) root. About the only mildly significant issue I've had so far is that the capacitive button back light shut off and wouldn't light back up for a short while. Don't know why they went out or why they lit back up.

Description in a word >right now<? AWESOME!

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
I bought directly from the Sprint store, and am not having a good experience. Signal reception is really bad, even when friends with older EVOs and other phones are sitting next to me with great signal and fast speeds. I'm hoping it will just be a defective unit but can't take it back til tomorrow.

FYI if you call the Sprint number there's still a recording saying they're aware of problems with making & receiving calls, data connections, etc. and are working to correct the problem. Whatever is going on isn't just with our phone - my daughter has an iphone with Sprint and has been having problems too (texts not going through, dropped calls, calls going direct to voicemail, losing internet connection). I didn't stay on the line with Sprint to ask what the source of the problem is because my phone is working pretty well - but there is apparently an issue with the Sprint network right now since they've acknowledged it themselves. No idea why, but it doesn't seem to affect everyone.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
I guess you folks can disregard my post above.

I went ahead and won a one month old pre-used EVO 4G LTE off Ebay. I got it for $187 plus S/H $5.45.

There was a bunch of folks trying to get their hands on this bad boy. I guess I had the best timing.

Note: Make sure to place your highest amount @ 12 seconds before the bidding ends. Lmbo! :D

I hope this is the beginning of a special bond for my EVO 4g LTE and I.
I'm sticking with my EVO family. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones