1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root I ran Unrevoked, got S Off but root programs wont run

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by yahar, Feb 12, 2011.

1. yahar

yahar Newbie
    None

Dec 2, 2010
    I followed this guide http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/194918-rooting-dummies.html

Unrevoked ran, rebooted my phone a number of times and then it said Done! Then my phone rebooted to some screen with a number of options one being "install zip from SDCard" sense the guide didnt mention this I just rebooted the phone into recovery.

It says S off but no Root programs will run. What should I do? What did I do wrong?

Edit: I ran Unrevoked a second time. When it rebooted Unrevoked said "Error: Can not get root. Is your firmware to new?"

Advertisement

2. Xtremedays

Xtremedays Android Expert
    None

Apr 5, 2010
    Male
    Auto Technician(for now)
    So you have S-off and recovery correct?

3. yahar

yahar Newbie
    None

Dec 2, 2010
    When I boot with the power button and volume down it says S Off in green, but if I run apps that require root they don't work.

4. Xtremedays

None

Apr 5, 2010
    Male
    Auto Technician(for now)
    When you go to Hboot, select recovery, what happens? If it loads, what version does it say?

5. yahar

yahar Newbie
    None

Dec 2, 2010
    It starts up the ClockworkMod Recovery, it is v2.6.0.1
    should i hit install zip from sdcard or apply sdcard:update.zip?

6. Xtremedays

None

Apr 5, 2010
    Male
    Auto Technician(for now)
    Sounds like you just need to download superuser and busybox from the market. you could also flash a custom rom as most would include the programs you need. Have you looked at any custom roms?

yahar likes this.
  7. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    Near Los Angeles
    You can certainly flash a custom ROM at this point if you want, but unrevoked should have rooted your ROM. Boot up normally and try the following:

1) Verify that you have the superuser app in the app drawer. If you don't, install it from the market.
    2) Search for the terminal emulator in the market and install it. Open it and type "su" without quotes, then enter. If the prompt changes from $ to #, then you have root.

If you still don't have root after that, install z4root and use the permanent root option. Now that you have s-off, it will work (normally, z4root is useless on the evo, as it doesn't have s-off by default. Most rooting methods give you s-off and root the ROM. When you end up with S-OFF, but not a rooted ROM, z4root should work at that point, and finish the job).

Xtremedays likes this.
  8. yahar

yahar Newbie
    None

Dec 2, 2010
    Ah it seems Superuser is in the app drawer. I do have root access. I had Orbot Tor port app installed but root wasn't working for it.

I have not looked at any custom ROMs. What would you recommend I look at, and why?

Thanks a ton for the wonderful help.

9. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    Near Los Angeles
    It said that when you downloaded it from the market? Did you check in the app drawer to make sure you don't already have it? If you already have it in /system/app, it's going to say that when you try to get it from the market, more than likely. Did you check with the terminal emulator yet? No need to flash a custom ROM yet unless you want to jump straight to that :).

Tags: