1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General I Read The USB Port Is Prone To Breakage

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by gapi, Feb 23, 2014.

1. gapi

gapi Android Expert
    None

I just returned a N7 2012 To WalMart because the port failed. It had a nice little notch like feel at first and then without mishandling or being dropped it just went limp. No feel of connecting at all, like its not even touching the sides. You could lift the tablet and it would fall out.

Is this common?

Thanks

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Extreme Android User
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    The microUSB connector is one of the flimsiest connectors ever designed. It was definitely the wrong choice for a connector that's usually going to be plugged into at least once a day, and by people who don't know up from down when it comes to connectors.

Is it a common problem? Is dryness a common problem in the dessert?

No matter how careful you are, if you keep the phone long enough, the port is going to go bad. What can we as consumers do about it? Not much. It's not even something a class-action suit could be filed for - it was just a bad decision, and companies are allowed to make them. The port they should have chosen should have been something virtually welded to the case, with (relatively) massive contacts. (It would hve taken a new design, but the cost per phone since then wouldn't have amounted to a penny.)

3. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe
    Are you sure it wasnt the charger's micro usb that got limp?
    My nexus charger is still really new and "clicks" into place really firmly but my other chargers dont.
    If its the charger end, you can easily bend the metal out a bit to make it fit tighter :)

4. gapi

gapi Android Expert
    None

Thanks Both of You,

Its the socket on the tablet. The same OE cable end snaps in other devices like it should.

I have a Galaxy Nexus that has the same connection type but since 2011 it has held up well.

I did Google it up while I waited on you guys and it looks like its pretty common to this device.

Shame. Its just like my Galaxy Nexus on Steroids. I may try another in a refurb unit. Sometimes when devices go on a bench in front of a technician they get special attention.

funkylogik likes this.
  5. JohnHwessel

JohnHwessel Newbie
    None

Feb 26, 2010
    Male
    Ex-IT
    Leicestershire, UK
    I have the same problem. I now cannot charge from the USB port unless I get the cable in just right and forced to one side. I bought the official Nexus dock which charges using the POGO connectors, and charge it that way. Unfortunately Google no longer market the dock, but you can get them still from Amazon.

funkylogik likes this.
  6. ucepit

ucepit Lurker
    None

Mar 6, 2014
    The socket on the tablet is _extremely_ flimsy. Ours became inoperative within a few weeks of purchase.

Both Google & Asus ping ponged my warranty claim between themselves here in Australia. I gave up & took it to several large reputable repairers who all stated 'parts unobtainable'.

Exasperated, I tore the flimsy plastic cover off the back of the tablet & observed that the USB socket was slightly torn & spread apart. I simply pushed the metal back together with my finger nails & pressed the socket closed to make a tight fit. It works fine but needs repeating this every couple of weeks even with careful use.

I'm resigned to the fact that this will eventually fail & an otherwise perfectly good device will be land fill.

7. gapi

gapi Android Expert
    None

Thanks, I was distraught with it and returned it going for a new N7 2013 WiFi 32GB.

8. ucepit

ucepit Lurker
    None

Mar 6, 2014
    How is the connector on the 2013 model?

9. brosko

brosko Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 25, 2012
    The usb connection on the 2013 n7 seems to be pretty durable. I have charged it almost daily for a few months until I got a wireless charger. It seems very sturdy with no signs that there will be a problem.

10. gapi

gapi Android Expert
    None

Seems to have a better feel but there are a few reports of problems out there. It's certainly doing better than the 2012 did. None the less I am talking special care.