• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I really like the phone, but it would be better if the GPS would work.

I'm not experiencing this. GPS works great for me!

Take a look at this easy workaround and see if the GPS works any better:
http://androidforums.com/epic-4g-su...-cache-problem-workaround-tested-working.html

GPS has been fantastic for me ever since I tried that. Yesterday I was actually stuck in traffic and tried to find some backroads home. I switched on my GPS 5 minutes later to see if I was on the right track. It found me in 10 seconds and had driving directions up in about 10 more. Discovered a new way home from work :) I'd call that a working GPS.

Upvote 0
Is using wireless networks on?
You want that off for GPS to work properly. It does nothing to help aGPS, and as your phoen can attempt to use that much less accurate method, you should not use it ever unless inside, in which case you should turn off aGPS when you have "use wireless networks" on.

Sprint DEvice Team has confirmed the cache bug on GPS. The problem is intermitant and depends on usage habits which is why some don't experience it. we all have the bug, it can be masked and not an issue depending on your usage habits.

Apply the fix noted by Jim above. I created it with help form a few of use who knowo our way around GPS. There are other small bugs with Epcis GPS but they are not bad ones.

The symptoms our fix repairs is this: you expreince GPS lock sometimes, but no GPS lock within 30 seconds on other occassions despite being in good view of sky. You install GPS test or GPS status and note oen of the follwoign condtions: a) no Satellties seen (expired almanac still in cache); or more commonly b) Adequate satellites seen, but none or less than four "in use" (expired ephemeris in cache). This is definitive symptoms which our fix will repair

Upvote 0
I'm not experiencing this. GPS works great for me!.
Jim,. your GPS has a bug. It is the type of bug that some users will never experience due to habit, or experience very rarely. Others will experience it a lot. Lots of things can clear the GPS cache (a reset and many other things), but the one thing that should always, expired data present, does not.

Upvote 0
You want that off for GPS to work properly. It does nothing to help aGPS, and as your phoen can attempt to use that much less accurate method, you should not use it ever unless inside, in which case you should turn off aGPS when you have "use wireless networks" on.

Sprint DEvice Team has confirmed the cache bug on GPS. The problem is intermitant and depends on usage habits which is why some don't experience it. we all have the bug, it can be masked and not an issue depending on your usage habits.

Apply the fix noted by Jim above. I created it with help form a few of use who knowo our way around GPS. There are other small bugs with Epcis GPS but they are not bad ones.

The symptoms our fix repairs is this: you expreince GPS lock sometimes, but no GPS lock within 30 seconds on other occassions despite being in good view of sky. You install GPS test or GPS status and note oen of the follwoign condtions: a) no Satellties seen (expired almanac still in cache); or more commonly b) Adequate satellites seen, but none or less than four "in use" (expired ephemeris in cache). This is definitive symptoms which our fix will repair

I use it, and I never get the problem where the phone cannot locate me. I can use navigation too.

Upvote 0
I use it, and I never get the problem where the phone cannot locate me. I can use navigation too.

My point is why would you" It does not help in navigation, you can not use "use wireless networks" mode in navigation and the fact that you are saying you are using the mode in "navigation" which is IMPOSIBLE and your ERROR in claiming as neither google maps and Sprint nav won't use it for car navigation!

You are coming onto a thread. LOOK AT THE THREAD TITLE, LOL! The guy has the bug Spritn is now working on!

It is about GPS, "use wireless networks" isn't in the least bit related to GPS on Epic! Seriously :eek:

Upvote 0
I don't think it's just a cache bug. I rebooted my Epic the other day and turned on the GPS in My Tracks immediately after. It promptly locked on to several satellites and showed my location....more than 1/8 mile away from where I actually was.
You have to insure that use wireless location is off. Your statement that you ware located 1/8 of a mile away indicates it is on that is typical for the non GPS method.

post your google tracks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones