• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help I really want to pull the trigger but...

vgsantiago

Nov 5, 2009
Been so ready to pick up an Android phone with Sprint but the issues talked about on the forum makes me gun shy.

Excited about the Hero, then the Moment was annouced. Defintely wanted the hard keyboard. But now it seems Sprint was way too early in releasing an Android phone running 1.5

They had to have known that 1.5 would have these issues on their CDMA network. I mean they tested this right?

THe Moment seems to be solid hardware wise, but not knowing when and what OS update will come down and more importantly not knowing if it will fix the issues are disheartening.

all I know is I got the hero, and am probably getting the moment and passing the hero to the wife (want a keyboard, no problem with the hero).

anyways, yeah, the hero has some bugs, BUT, it works just fine for making and receiving calls, checking voicemail, and texting with a 3rd party app.

any problems that are there are pretty much in regards to the fun side of the phone. and no other phone Ive had was near as much fun to play with as the hero is. cool games, cool apps, etc... so I have no regrets to my choice (aside from the fact that I want a real keyboard again, even though the virtual one isnt that bad.)

Upvote 0
When I made the leap I thought about it this way:
I want a large-screen touch-screen that has a physical keyboard, something that can multitask, something that is solid, and something that is fast, with a good amount of apps.

Looking at the various phones, there were many that fit a few of those criteria pretty well. The Hero fits everything except for the keyboard and the speed(compared to the moment). The Pre is good, except it seems to be the most fragile phone on the market, and it has no support from app creators (and those that do create apps are not allowed into the app store for weeks or months after submission, which is further discouraging them). And the Pre is also not as fast.

Anyways, unlike the Hero and the Pre, the Moment has the right hardware (solid make, slider keyboard, fast processor, large screen). The software can always be updated in the future, but you are stuck with the hardware in whatever you buy.

Upvote 0
anyways, yeah, the hero has some bugs, BUT, it works just fine for making and receiving calls, checking voicemail, and texting with a 3rd party app.

In the end that's what is supposed to do, agreed. But being a tech head and I'm sure most who look past the commercials and dwell into what the Android can do have to be slightly annoyed.

Might have to wait and see if an OS update or patches will resolve the fun side of these phones.

Upvote 0
In the end that's what is supposed to do, agreed. But being a tech head and I'm sure most who look past the commercials and dwell into what the Android can do have to be slightly annoyed.

Might have to wait and see if an OS update or patches will resolve the fun side of these phones.

I wont say it doesnt bother me that these things are wrong with it, but its perfectly tolerable for me, especially knowing that there is going to be an update at some point. buying something thats not 100% right and knowing there will be NO upgrade, that pisses me off.

Upvote 0
buying something thats not 100% right and knowing there will be NO upgrade, that pisses me off.

As of right now that's what both phones have basically done so far. Not given us a definite yes or no. We've seen speculation but nothing in stone.

Wouldn't they bring in more customers if an informed consumer knew the hardware they're buying will get the needed update or upgrade. Just read Sprint is laying off 2000+ employees Sprint to lay off more than 2,000

Can't be comforting to someone on the fence as to which carrier to go with. Especially if Verizon has the Hero equivalent.

Upvote 0
As of right now that's what both phones have basically done so far. Not given us a definite yes or no. We've seen speculation but nothing in stone.

Wouldn't they bring in more customers if an informed consumer knew the hardware they're buying will get the needed update or upgrade. Just read Sprint is laying off 2000+ employees Sprint to lay off more than 2,000

Can't be comforting to someone on the fence as to which carrier to go with. Especially if Verizon has the Hero equivalent.

not sure about the moment, but HTC has said they are working on the update for the hero and that they are going straight to 2.0

I havent really paid attention to the moments stories that are out since I have the hero, but I thought I had read that they have said that the moments update IS in development, just havent said 1.6 or 2.0...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones