• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I really would love to root my Hero (Sprint)

Yes - You don't HAVE to download from your lap top - then transfer from your phone -
You can just download from your Phones Browser.... (thats what I do)

You CAN use Rom manager - its probably good to do it that way the first time.....I do it manually now - especially if I need to change kernals and themes and any other mods.....

+1

Upvote 0
Ok - Launcher Pro can go up to 7 screen - and 3 dock bars -
You can adjust scolling speed to your liking -
When was the last time you tried it.....possibly an older version.

YES - don't go dev roms.....

as far as 2.2 over 2.1 - I like it Much Better - You can flash Gapps Sprint VVM and a few other things from the market to give you some sense feel - but keep the 2.2 Speed.

Upvote 0
Ok - Launcher Pro can go up to 7 screen - and 3 dock bars -
You can adjust scolling speed to your liking -
When was the last time you tried it.....possibly an older version.

YES - don't go dev roms.....

as far as 2.2 over 2.1 - I like it Much Better - You can flash Gapps Sprint VVM and a few other things from the market to give you some sense feel - but keep the 2.2 Speed.

Ah, perhaps it was an older version. Or, maybe I just didn't see the means of changing the settings for that.

So from what you've seen, 2.2 is a noticeable improvement in speed over 2.1? And what about battery life? I noticed you've overclocked yours ("I run overclocked at 768 on CM6"). Do you find much of a battery impact on it?

Also, I noticed references to galleries. Some are 2D while others 3D. Does that refer to the appearance of screen artifacts, icons, widgets, etc? 2D probably makes things move faster, but 3D looks better?

Upvote 0
I have the LiquidSense rom zipped folder on my laptop. Do I just drag it to my SD card? If so, then what. How do I get the current rom off my phone? I think I'm posting in circles today.

Have you done a nandroid backup? Definitely do that first, so you can easily restore your phone.

I found a description of doing a ROM here. Not sure if this is the most up-to-date... but I'd read a couple of tutorials first before doing it, just to be sure you've got it right. And when i do something like this, I always write down the instructions converted for *me*... in language I understand... so I can go back to it anytime and not have to figure things out again. :)

Nobody wants to go in circles, or end up befuddled by impossible situations... Not even Captain Kirk.

TheApple_Gilligan.jpg

Gilligan: "Oh, thank God you guys are here! You're... you've come to rescue us, right?"

Upvote 0
I have the LiquidSense rom zipped folder on my laptop. Do I just drag it to my SD card? If so, then what. How do I get the current rom off my phone? I think I'm posting in circles today.

:D- Check Don's sig line for step by step.

Short version -

Yes - Pull the Zip to your sd card - Download folder.

2 options from here -
Rom manager - Install Rom From Sd Card - download - Liquid sense.
You already have a backup - So check - Wipe Data and Cache then OK -
Let it do it thing and reboot - you now have Liquid Sense Rom

option #2 (i prefer) Turn Phone Off - Boot into Recovery - hold volume down and power button - Click Wipe Data - Clear Cache - advanced - Clear davlik cache - Back - install zip from SD Card - Download - Liquidsense - let it do its thing - the Reboot.

Upvote 0
Ah, perhaps it was an older version. Or, maybe I just didn't see the means of changing the settings for that.

So from what you've seen, 2.2 is a noticeable improvement in speed over 2.1? And what about battery life? I noticed you've overclocked yours ("I run overclocked at 768 on CM6"). Do you find much of a battery impact on it?

Also, I noticed references to galleries. Some are 2D while others 3D. Does that refer to the appearance of screen artifacts, icons, widgets, etc? 2D probably makes things move faster, but 3D looks better?

I switch Between Cm6 And Aosp - Prefer Aosp -
Cm6 i overclock -Aosp - Run stock don't need to Ok.

so, I noticed references to galleries. Some are 2D while others 3D. Does that refer to the appearance of screen artifacts, icons, widgets, etc? 2D probably makes things move faster, but 3D looks better? YES

Upvote 0
With overclocking on CM6, do you find that it pretty much matches AOSP stock? Do notice any battery consumption differences? If so, which appears to be better?

I'm very visually oriented, so I'll probably stick with 3D and just put up with lesser performance. If it's anything like what I'm already seeing with Sense, that's OK with me. What I DO want to see go away is this period lag that happens sometimes... you select a function and the phone will just pause for a noticeable period of time before proceeding. Doesn't happen all the time... just once in a while, and when it does it doesn't matter what apps are running. It also isn't dependent upon data being active.

Upvote 0
Ah... I see. I may end up going the same route. I like to tinker as well. :) But when I'm out traveling on foot without a place to charge, battery life is important to me. Switching depending upon my circumstance sounds like the way to go. Does the whole ROM reside on your SD card? How long does it take to complete the switch?

Upvote 0
I did see your tips on backing up... and I'm also of the mindset that I'd rather take an extra step or two than have space occupied by a program. ROM Manager seems rather rich with functionality. I'll try it out for a while and then I can always remove it later.

I just used ROM Manager to perform my first backup, which seemed to go without a hitch. Next, I'll get Titanium Backup installed and get rid of that bloatware. This way if I ever go back to my stock ROM, I won't have that junk in place.

I'm glad to hear that these ROM's don't take up too much space and that 8Gb is sufficient. I've got music on there as well, so I may have to do a little pruning. ;)

Upvote 0
Be careful of what you uninstall, some apps are still needed for your phone to run properly

I did see your tips on backing up... and I'm also of the mindset that I'd rather take an extra step or two than have space occupied by a program. ROM Manager seems rather rich with functionality. I'll try it out for a while and then I can always remove it later.

I just used ROM Manager to perform my first backup, which seemed to go without a hitch. Next, I'll get Titanium Backup installed and get rid of that bloatware. This way if I ever go back to my stock ROM, I won't have that junk in place.

I'm glad to hear that these ROM's don't take up too much space and that 8Gb is sufficient. I've got music on there as well, so I may have to do a little pruning. ;)

Upvote 0
C&P

ALL OF THE APPS LISTED BELOW HAVE BEEN CONFIRMED WITH NO ERRORS AFTER REBOOT WITH CURRENT SPRINT PATCH FROM 11/18/2009.

Sprint_TV.apk
Sprint_Navigator.apk
Sprint_TVWidget.apk
Sprint_NFL.apk
Sprint_Nscar.apk
amazonmp3.apk
Stock.apk
Stock.odex
DCSStock.apk
DCSStock.odex
HtcFootprints.apk
HtcFootprints.odex
HtcFootprintsWidget.apk
HtcFootprintsWidget.odex
LearnMore.apk
com.htc.StockWidget.apk
com.htc.StockWidget.odex
VoiceDialer.apk
VoiceDialer.odex
HtcSoundRecorder.apk
HtcSoundRecorder.odex

Reactions: andygu3 and xevious
Upvote 0
Thanks, Don. I was aware that you can get into trouble removing some apps and that there's a list somewhere, but you've made that much easier to find. :)

Is there a website page somewhere that describes what these are? Some are obvious, but others are a bit ambiguously named. For example, I assume "StockWidget" is some kind of stock ticker app. I haven't a clue as to what Footprints are. Maybe a silly game? ;) Also, if you remove "SoundRecorder", does that leave you with no way to record voice notes by default? I guess there must be better 3rd party apps for that.

Upvote 0
:D- Check Don's sig line for step by step.

Short version -

Yes - Pull the Zip to your sd card - Download folder.

2 options from here -
Rom manager - Install Rom From Sd Card - download - Liquid sense.
You already have a backup - So check - Wipe Data and Cache then OK -
Let it do it thing and reboot - you now have Liquid Sense Rom

option #2 (i prefer) Turn Phone Off - Boot into Recovery - hold volume down and power button - Click Wipe Data - Clear Cache - advanced - Clear davlik cache - Back - install zip from SD Card - Download - Liquidsense - let it do its thing - the Reboot.

I chose to try the first option. I'm watching it happen now. It's rebooting and I'm saying a prayer. I have no clue what's next.

OMG!! I did it!! Thank you so much MahaloCat for your instructions. :D
Now, how do I get stuff like Titanium Backup, ROM Manager and Z4Root back on the app page? What else might I need that I had before? I don't see Sprint Navigation either. Can I get that back from the SD card or do I have to go somewhere and download?:thinking:

I also would like to know where to find the Themes thread. I can't seem to find it.

Upvote 0
I'm wondering if you need to customize your ROM's from scratch, get all the apps installed as you like, then back it up so that switching back from another ROM will ensure you've got them all in place. And, if you rig it so you can run them from the SD card, it'll save time and reduce the size of your backups.

I heard somewhere that Sprint Navigator isn't available for some of these ROM's, and you'd just have to use GoogleMaps or some other navigator. I personally like Sprint's version a lot... but I'm willing to try out a few others to see how they stack up.

Upvote 0
I chose to try the first option. I'm watching it happen now. It's rebooting and I'm saying a prayer. I have no clue what's next.

OMG!! I did it!! Thank you so much MahaloCat for your instructions. :D
Now, how do I get stuff like Titanium Backup, ROM Manager and Z4Root back on the app page? What else might I need that I had before? I don't see Sprint Navigation either. Can I get that back from the SD card or do I have to go somewhere and download?:thinking:

I also would like to know where to find the Themes thread. I can't seem to find it.

Go back to the Market and Download Titanium Backup -
You should be able to restore your Apps after you load it.

I haven't run Liquid Sense - so not sure what is included -
If you want Sprint Nav you will have to flash it. Do you have the little Blue arrow nav in your app drawer (thats google nav and better then sprints by a mile)

Fyi - you don't need Z4root - you are rooted and good to go!

Go to Android Forums - Themes - its not in the Hero Section -

Reactions: vals4con
Upvote 0
Go back to the Market and Download Titanium Backup -
You should be able to restore your Apps after you load it.

I haven't run Liquid Sense - so not sure what is included -
If you want Sprint Nav you will have to flash it. Do you have the little Blue arrow nav in your app drawer (thats google nav and better then sprints by a mile)

Fyi - you don't need Z4root - you are rooted and good to go!

Go to Android Forums - Themes - its not in the Hero Section -

Ok, I am beside myself with glee! This is excellent!!! When I go to the app list in Titanium, do I just select the item I want back and hit restore? Is it really that easy?? Also, why do you like the google nav better than Sprint? I'm running over to the themes now, I'll check back here soon. Am I allowed to Squeeeee on this board? :D:D

Upvote 0
hmmm Not sure what Squee means...sounds dirty...ask a mod first! HAHA
Titanium backup - Yes - In theory thats all you have to do. (doesn't always work though)

Google nav is smaller simpler and more user friendly - You can Speak a destination and it takes you there.....better for the car. The only thing SPRINT on my phone is sprint TV....unfortunatly needed to watch Bball while at work!
: )

Reactions: vals4con
Upvote 0
You can also set a batch up and schedule and will restore all without having to click on every app one at a time, scheduler will schedule period it back ups, check the video I posted

Ok, I am beside myself with glee! This is excellent!!! When I go to the app list in Titanium, do I just select the item I want back and hit restore? Is it really that easy?? Also, why do you like the google nav better than Sprint? I'm running over to the themes now, I'll check back here soon. Am I allowed to Squeeeee on this board? :D:D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones