• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I returned the Nexus today :-(

Shockwave78

Android Enthusiast
Oct 16, 2011
NH
After waiting 3 months for it and drooling over it every day here on the forum I had it for a tad more than 24hrs. The phone is hands down the best phone out IMO ...but, the battery life is just atrocious. I ran it though 4 full battery drains and charges, disabled everything imaginable other than 4g and the phone still had bad battery life. Today taking it off the charger at 4am it was down to 30% by 10am with 1hr30min of actual usage.

A few things I know will be said ...I should have given it more time and the battery life will get better. I agree! But there is no way it is going to double or triple In its longevity as I would need. Even if it was double it would have only lasted to maybe 3:00pm with only 3hrs usage. Still not acceptable, triple the battery life and it would be perfect. The extended battery doesn't do much from everything I read.

A few more comments!

Yes I had good signal, 4 bars lte consistently

No I would not switch it to 3G and keep it there, it's a 4g phone!

LTE Is blazing fast in NH! 30 down 10 up consistently!

A button at the bottom would have been nice, I am so used it from the iPhone!

App store was great, found everything I wanted

Notification center is awesome...now I know why it's praised so much

After waiting 3 months for it and drooling over it every day here on the forum I had it for a tad more than 24hrs. The phone is hands down the best phone out IMO ...but, the battery life is just atrocious. I ran it though 4 full battery drains and charges, disabled everything imaginable other than 4g and the phone still had bad battery life. Today taking it off the charger at 4am it was down to 30% by 10am with 1hr30min of actual usage.

A few things I know will be said ...I should have given it more time and the battery life will get better. I agree! But there is no way it is going to double or triple In its longevity as I would need. Even if it was double it would have only lasted to maybe 3:00pm with only 3hrs usage. Still not acceptable, triple the battery life and it would be perfect. The extended battery doesn't do much from everything I read.

A few more comments!

Yes I had good signal, 4 bars lte consistently

No I would not switch it to 3G and keep it there, it's a 4g phone!

LTE Is blazing fast in NH! 30 down 10 up consistently!

A button at the bottom would have been nice, I am so used it from the iPhone!

App store was great, found everything I wanted

Notification center is awesome...now I know why it's praised so much

Sucks but good for you brother. Many have waited for this phone for months, the anticipation, the rumors, the sleepless nights.....all for nothing.
Are you going back to the iPhone? Was it a superior device?
:cool:

Reactions: GalaxyNexus
Upvote 0
I wouldn't even trust the battery meter after only a day or so of charge cycles. It may have been showing false low percentages, unless the device was actually dying on you.

Meh, everyone else's is the same by the looks of it, if after a couple weeks we start getting a flood post saying battery life improved 10 fold then I will just buy it again.

Upvote 0
I would have given it more time than that. Like one of the posters above mentioned, it could have been reading falsely since you haven't had the phone that long. Either way, sorry to hear that. I hope I don't end up returning it too. This is the first phone since the OG Droid that I've been this excited about :-/

Good luck finding what you're looking for.

Upvote 0
Your phone obviously had issues, my very first full charge yesterday the phone lasted me from 3 pm yesterday to this morning when it died on the way to work. I took the phone off the charger maybe 3 hours ago and played about an hour of games and the battery is maybe 20% gone.

Your issues are not from the phone, probably a bad battery, they do happen. Take is from someone who has been using LiPos with RC cars for years.

Upvote 0
Sucks but good for you brother. Many have waited for this phone for months, the anticipation, the rumors, the sleepless nights.....all for nothing.
Are you going back to the iPhone? Was it a superior device?
:cool:

Ya going back to iPhone, but I will agree e nexus is a better phone and OS now. Very nice , just the battery I can not deal with.

I may get the 4s to hold me over even though I dont really want it

Upvote 0
Ya going back to iPhone, but I will agree e nexus is a better phone and OS now. Very nice , just the battery I can not deal with.

I may get the 4s to hold me over even though I dont really want it

It's just that the battery level meters on these devices can be way off when they're brand new. The "30%" may have been 60% or more in reality.

Calibration helps, as well as usage over time (helps with battery life a bit, but mainly helps show something closer to the true charge percentage remaining).

Upvote 0
i understand your issue, however i am having different results. mine came off the charger at 6:30am, it is now 1:30pm and i am at 63% and i have a ton of things running including 4g (i get a pretty good signal) and have the screen turned all the way up (auto brightness sucks).

having had android phones for awhile (i am actually waiting patiently for decent wp7 hardware on VZ) i can tell you battery is something that bugs me. but 9 times out of 10 a factory reset or hunting down of some offending app is always the issue. normally on a verizon phone it is that damn pre-installed blockbuster app that murders batteries but the gnex doesn't have it (thank god!). i would be willing to bet there was an app on your phone causing it to stay away, apps may install and seem to run ok but don't quite play with ICS and get caught in a loop etc... or keep the 3g/4g radio up and that will kill a battery in no time.

i have had 6 different android phones the last couple of years and i can tell you every one of them had bad battery life until i found the app or setting causing it then they were tolerable, heck even the thunderbolt is usable once you finally stop all the blockbuster app syncing and the services it fires up for drm even though you never opened the thing. Given what you described it is likely that, there isn't a phone that would drain like you said without something causing it.

either way good luck to you, you might want to check out the razr (the white one is really awesome looking). guy in the office has one battery life seems to be almost as good as my droid X (which is amazing on battery life).

Upvote 0
Interesting ....the thing I noticed though it was that it did not display actual usage time, only time from its last charge. If it last hrs from 4am to 2pm for me that would still not be good enough. The thing with the iphones is that I would get 8hrs of actual usage time, with about 16hrs of total time like android reports.

This intrigues me though, maybe I did have a bad battery, the rep even said it but of course you can't believe those guys as they just don't want you to return it. But reading others post here I would say about 60% of the people are having the same battery life

Upvote 0
Yeah I can tell the battery meter on mine needs a little "experience". Yesterday I charged from ~50% to 100% in less than an hour. I then went from 12:00pm until 7am this morning without charging (Had 12% left on the battery when I plugged it in). It was back at 50% within 30 minutes, but then took well over 2 hours to get back to 100%. I guess its too late since you already took it back, but I would have waited a few more days before making that decision, especially if you liked everything else so much...

Upvote 0
What is funny about this whole thing is when I'm at my girlfriends we sit there and play cell phone games and her iphone 4S always dies faster than my old droid which had terrible battery life. Real world usage I never see this great battery life out of the iphone. Might get 4-5 hours at best if you just sit there playing games and don't put it down, that is probably an overestimate.

Upvote 0
I am in the same boat.

I ran mine down to about 25% yesterday, then threw it on the charger overnight. Today I ran it down until it shut off. This was about 2:00 PM. I am currently charging it now, and I will charge to 100%, boot cycle, then put it back on the charger for a while to see what happens. We'll see how that works.

Between that and the crappy signal, this phone may be a non-starter for me. People have reported some great speeds up and down. My max speeds with 2 bars of 4G have been no better than 3G (about 7.5 up, 2.5 down). Plus, the signal craps out in areas in my building at work where I still had signal before. Finally, when it does crap out, it takes forever to restore to proper function.

Unlike some people, I use this phone a lot for work. I depend on it being a reliable and useful tool. I'll give it about a week or so and see what happens.

Upvote 0
I'm currently at 8hrs and 30%. A couple of things that cause me not to worry.

1. Custom Kernals will change this battery stuff extremely
2. Now a days i have a charger everywhere i go
3. I'm starting to wonder if the screen is still eating up juice even though you have it off. If so a custom Kernal will take care of that. Would be nice to get a Chad's IncrediKernal on this thing :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones