• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

yahoowizard

Android Enthusiast
Jul 29, 2010
So. Google did mention that when Ice Cream Sandwich comes out, they're going to make sure that everyone gets the update, at somewhat the same time and make sure that all phones are basically up to date with one version of the software, rather than the fragmented version right now with tablets having differnet versions and each phone having 2.1 or 2.2 or 2.3 or something else of the sort.

I'm still looking, but I can't see anything specific about the older phones being updated, but it does the Galaxy S II about being updated a lot, just not the first one (sort of a bitch to google stuff about the Galaxy S when links about the Galaxy S II pop up more). I mean, in all honesty, I do feel like we're all going to get updated into Ice Cream Sandwich, but at the same time, Samsung's past track record with software updates isn't the best.

So. Google did mention that when Ice Cream Sandwich comes out, they're going to make sure that everyone gets the update, at somewhat the same time and make sure that all phones are basically up to date with one version of the software, rather than the fragmented version right now with tablets having differnet versions and each phone having 2.1 or 2.2 or 2.3 or something else of the sort.

I'm still looking, but I can't see anything specific about the older phones being updated, but it does the Galaxy S II about being updated a lot, just not the first one (sort of a bitch to google stuff about the Galaxy S when links about the Galaxy S II pop up more). I mean, in all honesty, I do feel like we're all going to get updated into Ice Cream Sandwich, but at the same time, Samsung's past track record with software updates isn't the best.

By the time we get Gingerbread, let alone Ice Cream/Ice Cream sandwich, the Captivate will be End of Life, we won't see it.

Upvote 0
Well, doesn't seem to be up to Samsung as much as it does Google. Google's making sure all the manufacturers can produce Ice Cream Sandwich on their devices so that when it does come out, fragmentation is over and everyone's on one version. But at the same time, there might be a line to draw somewhere between the G1 and the Samsung Galaxy S II as per timeline of updating.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones