1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root I screwed up...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by sykmade, Mar 18, 2011.

1. sykmade

sykmade Newbie
    None

Mar 2, 2011
    Entrepreneur
    Vermont
    So, I rooted my Ally (version 2.2.1) with SuperOneClick. As of right now, I had to do a hard reset, which has done SOMETHING to my droid.

I can make calls, read e-mails and go on facebook, but I cannot get any of my other apps back on, nor can I put my old theme on. It's almost like it's stuck.

NOW, my brother just got an Ally and we have done NOTHING to it. What I want to do is this.

Reset my droid to the ABSOLUTE stock.
    I had already deleted some bloatware with the premium version of Titanium Backup after I installed SuperUser; I want to reset it with my brothers settings and then root both of ours with the fastest stuff.

What I need, is someone who knows this stuff really well, to kind of put a step by step guide as a response (or atleast point me in the direction of what to do IN ORDER). I'm sort of a thick headed nitwit when it comes to technology so pretend you're dealing with an idiot (or don't pretend).

I really appreciate whoever helps me, and there will be a little incentive for the person who helps me.

Advertisement

2. McLovlein13

McLovlein13 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 1, 2010
    School
    Minnesota
    http://androidforums.com/ally-all-things-root/234826-i-need-volunteer-who-wants-go-back-completely-stock.html
    follow these directions, its the easiest and fastest way to go stock. the only kicker is you need a recovery so if you dont already have on go on the market and download ROM manager and flash recovery. once thats done download the "stock froyo.zip" and put it on your phone under the folder "nandroid" (if there isnt one make a file and name it nandroid) once thats done unplug your phone and reboot into recovery on the rom manager app. click nand restore and click the file. reboot

now that your both stock use SOC again but when you remove apps use this guide
    http://androidforums.com/ally-all-things-root/268619-froyo-app-safety-list.html

sykmade likes this.
  3. themessenger

themessenger Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 29, 2010
    Yep. ^ then reroot.

sykmade likes this.
  4. sykmade

sykmade Newbie
    None

Mar 2, 2011
    Entrepreneur
    Vermont
    What's the best way to reroot then? And how should I back everything up so I don't have to worry about this again?

5. McLovlein13

None

Nov 1, 2010
    School
    Minnesota
    set up your phone how you like it, then click the backup/restore button and backup everything

6. themessenger

themessenger Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 29, 2010
    Go to the 2.2.1 root guide in the root forum. They have a download now that gives step by step instructions and actually does most of it for you through batch files. You'll make a nandroid backup during this process. There is also a stock recovery image that you can download to your computer so that if anything ever happens you can load that image.

sykmade likes this.
  7. sykmade

sykmade Newbie
    None

Mar 2, 2011
    Entrepreneur
    Vermont
    It keeps talking about a nandroid... What is a nandroid?

8. McLovlein13

None

Nov 1, 2010
    School
    Minnesota
    a nandroid is like a memory file that saves everything. if you screw up and have to "restore" a nandroid, it will put your phone exactly how it was when you saved it

9. sykmade

sykmade Newbie
    None

Mar 2, 2011
    Entrepreneur
    Vermont
    Still having issues.

I have successfully un-rooted my phone, but it has left me with SuperUser still installed. Should I try and run the superoneclick again?

10. sykmade

sykmade Newbie
    None

Mar 2, 2011
    Entrepreneur
    Vermont
    And apparently I lost my fastboot? What's that?

11. sykmade

sykmade Newbie
    None

Mar 2, 2011
    Entrepreneur
    Vermont
    K. Doing this.

When you say "put it on your phone under the folder 'nandroid'" - Do you mean,

Code (Text):
    1. sdcard\[B]nandroid\folder-with-stock-froyo-nandroid[/B]
    Me being impatient, I'm doing this with sort of a guess-and-test method.

I just want to say again, Thanks Guys - I really appreciate all the support, this seems to be the best place to troubleshoot ANYTHING droid.

12. sykmade

sykmade Newbie
    None

Mar 2, 2011
    Entrepreneur
    Vermont
    that's what it tells me when I try to reboot into recovery. What's next?

13. McLovlein13

None

Nov 1, 2010
    School
    Minnesota
    try reflashing the recovery in rom manager... i dont know how you lost fastboot and if reflashing doesnt work im not sure whats wrong but a full proof way of getting it done would be this
    http://androidforums.com/ally-all-things-root/263285-guide-froyo-2-2-1-root-users-updated-3-3-2011-3-40-pm-est-now-easier-than-ever.html
    if you follow the first set of steps perfectly you will have fastboot and a rooted FroYo and if you need help with any part of it PM me

also if you repost exactly whats wrong in the ally-all things root forum you will get a lot more feedback

Tags: