• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I swapped my Captivate for a new Captivate, and bought two iPhone 4's 2Day

BobPaul

Aug 2, 2010
The new Captivate's GPS works no better, it remains to be seen if it shuts off randomly like the 1st one.

So, my wife and daughter where standing there and wanted new phones. When we walked in I thought they might get HTC Aria's. But, they picked up an iPhone and the GPS locked rock solid in about 3 seconds, they have been listening to me complain for two weeks over my Captivate. The short story is they looked at the sales guy and said "Two iPhone 4's please."

I suppose ATT gets the sale regardless BUT if you are listening Samsung you missed two sales today. And it remains to be seen if I don't end up ultimately ditching the Captivate as well.

This is so frustrating, I want to have a high-end Android but it just may not be.

yep samsung said there will be a fix, if youre to inpatient to wait for it then get an iphone

I am not impatient. I've got an old fashioned flip phone that I prefer to use day to day. The Captivate is just to play with, making apps and such.

I'm still not 100% confident that Samsung will ever have GPS working 100% on the Captivate.

Upvote 0
I'm still not 100% confident that Samsung will ever have GPS working 100% on the Captivate.

Well, for what it's worth, there has been a leaked early debug build of the next Captivate firmware which has shown not only huge improvements in GPS reception and lock-retention, but massive speed increases and battery life improvements as well. Samsung has also changed their tune from "we're working on this" to "a fix is coming in September", something they're now repeating over and over.

Might be a bit premature to write off the Captivate quite yet...

Upvote 0
Well, for what it's worth, there has been a leaked early debug build of the next Captivate firmware which has shown not only huge improvements in GPS reception and lock-retention, but massive speed increases and battery life improvements as well. Samsung has also changed their tune from "we're working on this" to "a fix is coming in September", something they're now repeating over and over.

Might be a bit premature to write off the Captivate quite yet...

In a perfect world, I'd agree with you 100%. I was one who took his back for a different phone. I was not (and to be clear would not) allow my 30 window to expire - keeping ANY phone, that did not perform as advertised.

It should not be required to 'have faith.' Simply put if you buy something like this (with a 1 to 2 year period where you are mated to the device), it SHOULD work as advertised - right out of the box.

Good or bad, the phone I replaced the Captivate with does this.

And the bumper is not required to make it happen.

Upvote 0
The thing is, you'd be hard-pressed to find any phone where every advertised feature works "as advertised, right out of the box". Except maybe the dumbest simple phone. Certainly no smartphone. Certainly not the iPhone.

I am not saying I approve of this reality but disapproving of it doesn't change it, so you're left deciding how to manage living in that reality. My suggestion to people is to weigh the bugs of one phone over the bugs of another, and go with the one that starts off getting them the closest to where they ultimately want to be, along with the one that shows the most-promise of resolving remaining issues and stumbling blocks. For me that was the Captivate, despite the issues (which I am not silent about). The new proof of the upcoming fix validated that decision, and gave some additional presents (was not expecting the battery life and speed increases).

While I respect that you very well might have gone through this process, I don't think it's really fair to simplify it to something along the lines of "return any phone that doesn't work perfectly as-advertised". Otherwise you'll be left with this:

rotary-phone.jpg

Cheers...

Upvote 0
You know though, really we as consumers should be able to expect everything working on any item we purchase. The only exception should be a damaged or defective unit, not product line. I first started experiencing this trend 15 years ago with video games, manufacturers would release a game that was basically a glorified beta test and then release patches to turn it into a finished product. While that has grown to be the norm in software, I don't think we should allow this to become the norm in every other product we buy.

If everyone who bought a certain brand of car had no reception on the radio, then they would they would either have a massive recall to fix the problem or there would be a class action lawsuit. However, when it comes to electronic devices, from phones to computers, we sit on our hands and await a "fix" whenever the manufacturer feels like releasing one.

I personally love my captivate and want to keep it, but I think I am going to exchange it so that I have another 30 days to wait out a fix for the GPS. That is the only issue I am having and it only recently started. I actually use my GPS a lot with the apps I have so it is important to me. Hopefully

Upvote 0
Now that explains everything. You haven't yet progressed to the dark (fun) side of technology where you are willing to deal with almost anything to hold it in your hand. Nothing wrong with that but explains why your getting frustrated.

Yeah, I suppose there is a great deal of truth in this comment.

I admit I am somewhat of a Luddite with regards to tiny plastic things with batteries inside.

Upvote 0
You know though, really we as consumers should be able to expect everything working on any item we purchase. The only exception should be a damaged or defective unit, not product line. I first started experiencing this trend 15 years ago with video games, manufacturers would release a game that was basically a glorified beta test and then release patches to turn it into a finished product. While that has grown to be the norm in software, I don't think we should allow this to become the norm in every other product we buy.

If everyone who bought a certain brand of car had no reception on the radio, then they would they would either have a massive recall to fix the problem or there would be a class action lawsuit. However, when it comes to electronic devices, from phones to computers, we sit on our hands and await a "fix" whenever the manufacturer feels like releasing one.

I personally love my captivate and want to keep it, but I think I am going to exchange it so that I have another 30 days to wait out a fix for the GPS. That is the only issue I am having and it only recently started. I actually use my GPS a lot with the apps I have so it is important to me. Hopefully

I agree with your observations on "the trend." I think it is highly related to the WalMart mentality where quality is sacrificed in the name of cheap.

Not exactly the same thing for sure but our society does seem to trend toward this type attitude.

The bar is not set too high for most these days.

Upvote 0
had the iPhone 4, not impressed. Woo hoo, GPS works... and? Try making a phone call. That's more important to me. When I travel, I take my TomTom, it's never let me down. These things are PHONES people. The iPhone 4 fails horribly at being a phone.

I also think you are completely lying when you say "2 iPhone 4's please" and the salesperson just walks in the back, grabs 2 from the back, and hands them over. There are shortages everywhere, and Dallas is no exception. I have family there, and they still say there is a HUGE waiting list for iPhone 4's.

You can deny it all you want... post a pic with all 3 phones on the table and maybe we'll believe you.

Upvote 0
I can't speak for Dallas, but when I took my Captivate back, he did have 1 new iphone, I picked it up the following day, because 'my name was not on the account' that my wife and I have had for oh since they were cellular 1.

It was the only one within 20 miles - that's as far as I was willing to go, he said there were several in outer DC areas and MD - but I did not want to go to the city (needlessly), nor MD.

Such is life - this was roughly 2 weeks ago.

Upvote 0
Probably because he was basically called a liar and told to post a picture if we were to believe him. Some people find more offense at that than others. I couldn't call him on it either way, though I know I have walked into one of our BestBuys and there be 10-20 in stock waiting to be sold and then I have walked in there the next day and none be for sale, nor for weeks afterwards.

Upvote 0

The 30 day window is from the original date of purchase. If you bought your Captivate on the first of August and exchanged it on the 25th, you will only have 5 days left with the new phone.

They do this so that people don't chain exchange their phones into a lifetime warranty.

Upvote 0
yep samsung said there will be a fix, if youre to inpatient to wait for it then get an iphone
didnt samsung also over the last few years...for older models from them...promise various things...example...updates to newer android platforms...then not come thru?
have various models that needed support due to wonky performance..then leave those people in the dust when newere models took their interest away?
i have read other samsung forums and there are some pretty bad reps from samsung for after care treatment of customers and issues.
just check out their kies software alone for the comments.
if they did stuff like that can one be sure they will actually come out with a fix?
i worry..i am supposed to get a captivate in two weeks and i absolutely consider gps probably my 2nd most necessary item next to using it as a phone for calls first.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones