• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I talked my roommate out of getting an Android phone

Chopstick2U

Android Enthusiast
Dec 4, 2009
California
It's true... I teased him with all the fantastic features that Android provides, told him about the great sale that was going on, and seriously set the hook. But then I remembered that this guy needs his hand to be held with any gizmo he has. I got him an iPod shuffle for Christmas last year and I had to walk him through its use like he was my grandma.

If I didn't have an insatiable thirst for tweaking and exploring the functionality of all my devices, I think I would be very frustrated with my Eris. It would quickly get bogged down and the battery's juice would evaporate like beer thrown on a bonfire.

So what do you think? Is the average user ready for Android? Would you give an Eris to a loved one if you weren't going to be around to keep it running? I wholeheartedly concede that my roommate is dumber than average when it comes to electronics, so that's probably affecting my cynicism.

Chopstick, you're saving yourself a lot of problems steering him toward a Chocolate! I think that's hilarious because that's what I do with my friends and relatives. If not your going to be setting everything up for him and getting weird texts saying "Dude are you busy, my phones jacked up."

Forums, the place to go to see your not the only one with Luddite friends.

Upvote 0
My family recently got our new phones, and i got my sister the chocolate because she wasn't there and i thought she'd like it. Turned out she hated the touch screen because it seemed to be pickier than she wanted it to be. I think it's a great phone, but if it's going to be his first touch screen phone let him know that it will take a minute to adjust to all the sweet spots. :)

Upvote 0
My father was looking to see what I did with a phone, because he wants to get rid of his BB Curve. He "wants a touch screen phone".

I told him not to bother, for two reasons. First, his fingers are pretty big, and he'd have ALL kinds of problems with the virtual keyboard.

Second, there is no way I could convince him that he needed to constantly check on the battery life and awake time %. He'd be like "what"?

Android phones are honestly for tweakers, not for general users. Why do you think the iPhone is so appealing? It's dumbed down for the masses.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones