• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I think hubby inadvertently bricked his phone (not by factory reset)

Sorry for delay. WiFi is super slow.
Please tell me if the md5 sum matched.
Also list the pre-ROM wipe and format steps you took.
Please give me as much specific info as well.
Edit: Doh!
Take SD card out of phone. Transfer all data on SD card to your computer. Go to Start/Computer. Then reformat SD using the right click option. Once done, put back into phone and erase, then reboot phone. Put back in computer and transfer data back. Put back in phone and reboot.
I think the SD card might have gotten corrupted some how, which is what might be causing your problems.

Reactions: PoisonIvy
Upvote 0
If it took a while it must have gotten corrupted. Usually only takes a minute or two.
While you have it freshly formatted once you put back in phone to wipe, instead of just rebooting phone go to the recovery/advanced/partition sd card. Choose to make a 1GB partition with 0 swap. Then before you transfer data back to SD card, reformat the ext.3 partition the recovery made to ext.4 using Mini Tool Partition Wizard. For more info go here: http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-all-things-root/695963-link2sd-tutorial-new-updated-version.html

Reactions: PoisonIvy
Upvote 0
Ok, so I went ahead and reformatted via pc a second time, (it took forever this time too), then turned off my phone, plugged in his sd card, booted up, erased in settings>storage, rebooted into recovery, made the partition, powered off. Took his card out of my phone & put my card back in my phone, then put my phone up & away so I can't get the two of them mixed up (that would be bad). Took his sd back to pc, ran mini tool and recreated the partition as ext4. Put all data back on sd card. I was just about to begin re-wiping & reflashing, etc when the recovery showed that the battery was low. I powered off & plugged it up so it can get some juice before I start fooling around with it some more.

In the mean time, I'm re-reading your guide about the proper set-up of bean-wiz, and noticed that you say "Format: boot, cache, data, system & sd ext (only if you have a partition on the sd card)". Well now that I have a partition on the sd, I'm assuming that I would now include this step. I figured I would, but wanted to be double sure. :p

Upvote 0
Yes: Now that you have an SD ext partition you need to format that as well.

The SD card format should not have taken that long the second time. The SD card might have some serious problems?
If still having problems, put a Froyo ROM like the Resurrected Bumblebee on your SD card. Put in your husbands phone. Flash the ROM. See how everything acts. If this makes all the problems go away, then his SD card is bad.

You can get a new Sandisk class 4 16GB micro SD card from WalMart for $19.00 ($12.00 if on sale). It has the best read speed of any micro SD card (40MB/s). Read speed is the most important for Android Phones.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones