• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I think I broke it good...

StJason

Jan 6, 2012
Long story short:
Rooted v4.1.2
Cleaned out the bloat - Phone worked great.
Did some sort of cache cleaning app (which I can't find in the play store now. :/)
Did a reboot, suddenly it's in full factory reset.
Now phone is not only not-rooted, but the FM radio and live wallpapers don't work.
The rest of the phone (at least the parts I use) still work fine, as far as I can tell.

Tried a hard reset, checked a few things. Not finding out what broke.

Anybody have any thoughts, preferably ways to fix it?

This will take you off the update path, but you're probably already there...

Re root, install flashify. Use flashify to install the CWM recovery. Download Doctoror's 4.1.2 ROM and place it on the root of your external SD card. Reboot into CWM recovery. Install the 4.1.2 ROM. Wipe cache & data. Reboot and start over.

That should just about do it.

Upvote 0
Reactions: StJason
Upvote 0
Repair tool does nothing, as far as I can tell. Click the button and nothing happens.

Well, try and see if Verizon will replace vs. no camera/radio/wallpaper vs. a ROM that I really do not want. Hrm.

Update... I think I might have figured out what broke it. Amongst the tweaks I tried was a zipalign app. According to some research on the web, that can break unsigned apks. Don't think Verizon would do that, but it is either that or cleaning out the dvorak cache... which shouldn't do that either.

Any thoughts?

Upvote 0
Something along the lines of "Hey Verizon, I finally let my phone update and now the camera and the FM radio doesn't work. I think the update screwed up my phone." should fix you right up.

Not sure why you wouldn't want the ROM. It is the OEM update to 4.1.2, not some weird developer creation that only "almost" works.

As far as what messed it up to begin with? Doesn't matter, you screwed with the file system without having a recovery.

Upvote 0
I don't want the ROM because it is far more tinkering under the hood then a moron like myself to be trusted with.

As for what messed it up? Yes, it actually does matter, because I didn't mess with anything that should have done anything to those components (and weird combination of things to mess up, don'tcha think?). Plus, curiosity.

Went to Verizon. New phone should be in the mail. :/

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones