1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

I think I had a lemon

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by MoodyBlues, Jul 1, 2019.

1. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues Compassion is cool!
    VIP Member Thread Starter

First some background:

I've only had Motorola smartphones. I never had a single problem, so I didn't hesitate to buy another one when I wanted to upgrade.

My most recent was a Moto X 2nd Generation which--after four years of perfect service--started having battery problems. After buying a replacement battery and tools...yeah...these old eyes weren't about to attempt the repair on my own.

So I bought a new Moto Z² Force Edition instead!

Now that's where it starts getting weird. The very first time I used its default camera app to take a picture, it crashed. Like 'restarted the phone by itself' crashed. Odd, I thought. :thinking:

Then I installed my normal camera app, A Better Camera Unlocked, took some pics with it, no problem, so I chalked it up to a fluke.

But then other stuff happened, including screen burn-in (which I didn't even think was still a thing!), despite never leaving the screen on and idle for long periods.

So in May, I got off my lazy ass long enough to call Motorola and ask for a replacement (it was under warranty), which arrived a couple days later. And guess what? No weird problems!

It's been a month+ and everything's as I expect with a Motorola phone. I think I simply got a lemon with the first one.

And, if anything, this whole experience actually made my loyalty to Motorola even stronger. There was a problem, they resolved it quickly and painlessly, and I'm happy with my phone. Can't ask for more than that!

PS I still use the Moto X--I just keep it plugged in all the time. No problems, and it's over 4 years old. :D

ETA PPS: I totally forgot to say that the replacement phone's battery lasts HOURS longer than the lemon's! Like 8+ hours longer, under the same usage conditions. Nice!

Advertisement

#1 MoodyBlues, Jul 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  2. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

Always liked Motorola.
    Never an issue with any device they make.

MoodyBlues likes this.
  3. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby 100% That Guy
    VIP Member

OT: I never had one but there as campaign (Hello Moto!) That was genius.

MoodyBlues likes this.
  4. MoodyBlues

Exactly. I feel about their phones as I do Toyota with its vehicles. You just can't go wrong.

Dannydet likes this.
  5. MoodyBlues

I bought the very first Motorola smartphone I saw advertised, the Bravo. I still have it in a drawer. It sure is tiny compared to the Z²!

6. Milo Willamson

Milo Willamson Android Expert

This is my first motorolla ever :D

Yeah I did get the bug of the main camera, yammered a while ago on here, and I just cleaned it and wow, the snapshots seem a bit more clearer and I have to focus on what I am shooting off too :)

Still no matter what you are trying to tinkering around with it, then yeah you will start to understand it a bit better.

7. joe71

joe71 Android Expert

Where did you buy the phone?

8. MoodyBlues

Joe, who are you asking? :thinking:

9. MoodyBlues

Yeah...no! Your 'blurry photos' issue was completely different from my 'it rebooted the phone' issue. :)

ocnbrze likes this.
  10. Milo Willamson

Milo Willamson Android Expert

Like :)

11. DonB

DonB ♡ Truth, Justice and the American Way !! ♡ ™

I've had many Motorola phones for years and never had an issue, so I'd definitely say it's something with the device you purchased. I used to have the Moto X series and loved their active display. I myself have moved on from Motorola to One plus and love their devices.

I'm glad Motorola/Lenovo replaced your device and your issues are resolved.

I've had many BT devices from them and they've always replaced a defective device with no questions asked and some with warranty expired, so I'd say they want to keep their customer base happy.

MoodyBlues likes this.
  12. MoodyBlues

I still use [on Wi-Fi] my Moto X 2nd Gen that the Z² replaced. :) It's still happily cranking away--as long as it's plugged in!

You're right about Motorola keeping their customers happy. As noted, the screen burn-in was the catalyst for calling Motorola, and I didn't mention any of the other issues, like that one-off spontaneous reboot. After I explained to the rep that a factory reset (her suggestion) couldn't fix a HARDWARE problem, it was smooth sailing. They were great about quickly sending a new phone.

As I've said, this 'lemon' incident actually improved my already very strong good feelings about Motorola. When a company easily and quickly resolves a problem--the ONLY problem in 10(?) years--I'm sold! :)

13. joe71

joe71 Android Expert

@MoodyBlues I am interested in where the phone was bought

14. MoodyBlues

See, I didn't think you were asking me, because I thought where I bought it was clear from my OP...until I just re-read it. :eek:

I bought it directly from Motorola (via their web site), as is my habit. Now, why do you ask? :)

joe71 likes this.
  15. joe71

joe71 Android Expert

@MoodyBlues just curious. Just a thought it could have been a rejected model that failed the Quality and Inspection phase of testing but some how got shipped anyway.

MoodyBlues likes this.
  16. joe71

joe71 Android Expert

Buying a lemon isn't always a bad thing. A few years after we got married. My wife and I went to San Francisco. We ended up going to some shopping center that sold name brand merchandise at 60-80% off it's normal retail price because errors. For example my wife got two purses one for $125 when the original price was $400+ she got a purse originally price at more than $600 for $200. Both of these were top of the line I think one was a Dooney& Burke and the other was a coach or Lou vouton , I forget it was years ago. The sales person I remember point out the design flaws to us and explain it would be pointless to try and claim we had been sold a lemon because the company had stamped a cereal number inside indicating that the purse had been sent to a consignment shop/store

MoodyBlues likes this.

Motorola Moto Z2 Force Forum

The Motorola Moto Z2 Force release date was August 2017. Features and Specs include a 5.5" inch screen, 12MP camera, 4/6GB RAM, Snapdragon 835 processor, and 2730mAh battery.

August 2017
Release Date
Reviews