1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

I think I have a virus - help please!

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Martindale, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Martindale

Martindale Lurker
    None

Jan 10, 2012
    Hey., I'm new here so sorry if this is in the wrong place.
    Earlier this morning, I got a popup on my homescreen saying 'Gmail authentication failed : reinput username and password ' then two options saying 'reinput ' and 'cancle '(exact spelling). If you press cancle then it goes for a second, then comes back. I didn't realise the selling mistake to start with so I foolishly entered my password. I've obviously changed my email password to something company different. I have two antivirus apps installed and they haven't detected anything.
    Please help!?
    Cheers

Advertisement

2. Xerses

Xerses Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 28, 2010
    Technology provider for small companies.
    Ste-Therese, Quebec, Canada
    Not that this is the best solution, but if it were me I would format USB storage and reset to default to be 100% sure that the problem is gone. BEWARE: THIS ERASES ALL DATA, APPS AND CONFIGURATIONS IN THE PHONE.

I just did my phone on the weekend for a non-related "issue" and it is a major pain, but this way you know you are clean.

3. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    You may just be a "victim" of an airpush add pop-up that's design to have you provide your credentials to some ... we'll, we're not allowed to use that kind of language on the forums.

I would first install Addons Detector and see if it locates and nefarious services running in the background.

A factory data reset (menu>settings>privacy>factory data reset) will return your phone to it's original condition and delete user data and apps, but if the problem is from a specific app and you install it again, you will be in the same boat.

4. katybrittperry

None

Jan 10, 2012
    I got to read this thread now, and I hope Martindale was able to find a solution. Thanks lunatic59 for your posts. I'll install addons detector too, to avoid this kind of issue. :))

5. whooaahh

whooaahh Lurker
    None

Jan 10, 2012
    I got the same message showing up on my phone a few hrs ago. I downloaded and ran Addon Detector and AirPush Detector neither one found anything. Lookout (which I had already) didn't find anything either during a manual scan. I really don't want to have to do a reset if I don't have to. Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks

Edit: I created a new gmail account to enter, and it says that it failed, yet I can login to the account just fine. I also used the built in Task Manager that the Droid 3 comes with, as well as Astro's TaskKiller, looked through the list and I don't see anything strange running. Even closing out everything i could, it keeps happening.

Edit 2: Found my solution. This started around 9am for me, and been working on it since. The 2 new apps I downloaded that didn't find anything made me look into why they didn't. About an hour later I decided to post my original post.

I use GO Launcher EX and GO Launcher EX Notification (for text and missed called only). Since inputting the fake gmail info into my phone I knew it had to be something wanting to access the only gmail account I have on my phone. That's when I looked at GO Launcher EX Notification. Even though only 'Missed Calls' and 'Text Messages' were checked, I disabled them, enabled 'GMail' and disabled it, and clicked ok/apply. I used the phone for about 5 mins, no popup. Went back and enabled only 'Missed Calls' and 'Text Messages' and used the phone for about 5 mins, no popup. Enabled 'Gmail' clicked OK. Popup. Went back into the settings for GO Launcher EX Notification saw 'Gmail' was unchecked again, so I enabled it, and disabled it (checked and unchecked), clicked OK, and all is well. No popup, no issue, no security risk.

TL:DR
    Enable (check) and disable (uncheck) 'Gmail' in GO Launcher EX Notification settings.

lunatic59 likes this.
  6. badtom

badtom Lurker
    None

Jan 11, 2012
    I had the same message this morning.
    Uninstalling GO Launcher EX Notification helped for me.

Question is, for what it want's to know my gmail account informations?

7. stratnolegs

stratnolegs Lurker
    None

Jan 11, 2012
    Thanks for coming back with your solution whooaahh, was wrecking my head.
    I got this myself this morning and spend ages searching, the dodgy spelling on the failed login pop reeks of malware but Lookout and two other AVs all coming up clean I was wondering what the hell it was.
    All sorted now

8. whooaahh

whooaahh Lurker
    None

Jan 10, 2012
    GO Launcher EX Notification requests the gmail account info to display on the gmail app icon how many unread messages you have. I know other apps are able to aqure this info without needing your credentials, but I guess the japaneese/chineese programmers don't know to program it correctly. I know they are one of the 2 cuz an email reply from them contained both english and one or the other in the reply.

Thanks.