• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help I think I have an adware virus - how do I remove it?

I think I have an adware virus. Pardon me if I don't use proper tech terms, and although I searched, I didn't get an answer to this.

When I wake up my Galaxy A6 by swiping the turn-on screen I am immediately greeted with ads or news already opened in a browser. At first it was Chrome (which I don't use) and when I disabled Chrome it moved to Opera (which I do use). Closing the browser is the only way I can see the app icons.

Clues: (?)

Google recently did an Android update. Unless everybody is getting this I doubt it's a 'feature'.

I recently installed Google's "Live transcript" but I also installed this app on my Galaxy A2 tablet so I doubt it's the culprit.

I don't web surf on this phone much. I have a few bookmarked sites, weather, local tides and such that I've been using for years, so I doubt they are the problem. Other than that sometimes I'll search for crossword clues and if I'm in my car, my wife might use it to look up something.

So unless this is a new "feature" I'm guessing I picked up some adware virus.

Avast (ad supported) can no longer scan the system. Lookout tells me there is no problem.

Is there any way for an end-user who isn't very technologically adept to solve this?

Thanks,
Bob

In addition to @ocnbrze's excellent link, Notes_Norton, I recommend viewing your apps in most-recent order. That makes it easier to narrow down your search for the culprit!

Using a browser (not the Play Store app), go to your My Apps page in Play. Your apps will be listed in date order, starting with the latest you installed.

Upvote 0
Thanks, these are good places to start.

The only app I've installed in the last few months is Google's "Live Transcribe" so it'll be the first to go. I installed a couple of apps before my vacation last September, other than that, all the apps have been on the phone for years. I think if it was one of the vacation apps it would have been active before a couple of days ago.

And I also put "Live Transcribe" on my Galaxy tablet, and I'm having no problem there. It's an older version of Android, I don't know if that would make a difference.

I don't keep too many apps on the phone because I don't use it that way.

I may also be suspecting a drive-by virus, as my Avast won't do a scan. I think I'll try that in the safe mode if it's possible.

I figure that if the AV won't scan I suspect something might be intentionally stopping it.

Thanks especially for the tip on getting into the safe mode, I didn't know the phone had one (I know how to get there on a Windows computer).

I've been on the Internet on my computers since 1995 and so far have avoided any malware. I've had an android phone probably for about 10 years and this is my first problem. I guess it was a matter of time before something got me.

It's a busy season so I'll work on this a little at a time, now that I have some direction.

It might be a week or two before I get it done. When done I'll be sure to thank you again if solved, or ask more questions if not.

Bob

Upvote 0
Thanks again for all your help.

So this is what I've done so far:

1) Tried to install Malwarebytes, it tried to download all night last night. When I woke up it was still waiting to download. Something fishy is going on here.

2) Went into the safe mode this morning and deleted the last app I installed (Google's Live Transcribe") and tried installing Malwarebytes in the safe mode - it took a minute or so to download and install. Did something block it when I wasn't in the safe mode or was it just a glitch? That doesn't matter it's on now.

3) Tried to run an Avast AV scan in the safe mode and found that wasn't allowed. It was worth a try.

4) Rebooted, ran a Malwarebytes update and scan, and it found no problems. Tried Avast again and it couldn't scan.

I didn't want to do too much at once, because how would I know what the culprit was? So I put the phone to rest.

Came back a couple of hours later, swiped the phone on, and the first thing that appeared was another ad... Well at least I found something that wasn't the problem, the google app.

Tried again to scan with Avast. It failed. This time I scrolled down the page to see if there was anything else of interest down there. Lo and behold I saw a couple of the last ads that appeared on my phones wake up. That's pretty good evidence to me.

Now Avast is ad supported, and I don't mind, but the ads used to only appear when I opened the app. I looked at the update list and Avast recently updated itself. Another clue?

So I went to the safe mode again and deleted Avast.

So far, so good but previous to this I haven't been getting the ads every time I turned the phone on, so I'm in the wait-and-see mode. After a good trial if it's still ad-free I'll consider it solved.

Either way I'll get back here so that all the kind people who offered a helping hand will know how it turned out.

Does anybody else have ad supported Avast? Is that a feature?

Thanks again,
Bob

Upvote 0
No. When I turn the phone on, I have to swipe up to get to the home screen where all my app icons are. The ads are displayed here and I can't see my icons until I close the ads.

I click the III to the left of the home 'button' and get rid of them there, and when I return I can see my icons.

I've never locked the home screen because the phone is either in my pouch or at home with me. This is my 4th Android phone and I have never needed to lock it (yet).

Bob

PS, sorry if I don't know the proper terminology. I'm pretty good with computers and really don't use the phone that much.

Upvote 0
you have a samsung device so you can use Samsung Smart Switch to backup and restore your data including your photos and such.
Does it restore apps as well? If so, does it have the option -not- to?

In the OP's case, reinstalling apps one by one is the safest, albeit slower, approach.

Upvote 0
I'm starting to think about that myself. I don't mind reinstalling all the apps, it's the pictures and contacts that I'm concerned about. Especially the contacts.
If you're not already doing it, you really should consider saving your important files elsewhere.

Personally, I routinely copy my data to my computers (including their external drives), and to my Dropbox account. Oh--I also let Google do its thing (backups, photos, contacts, etc.). You might want to look into at least some of that! :)

Reactions: Notes_Norton
Upvote 0
Does it restore apps as well? If so, does it have the option -not- to?

In the OP's case, reinstalling apps one by one is the safest, albeit slower, approach.
yep you can choose what you want to re-install. i think your main choices would be like messages, contacts, apps, and so forth.

just make sure not to do apps.

Upvote 0
Definitely not apps. One at a time from the play store.

Is there any way to copy my contacts to my computer or a USB-To-Go just to be on the safe side?

And is there any risk in that?

(I know how to get pictures off using USB to Windows, I'm sure I could drag them back on.)

Thanks again,
Bob
you can have smart switch back things up to your pc. then using your pc you can restore things as well. and contacts is one of the options.

Upvote 0
Definitely not apps. One at a time from the play store.
Right! Slow, but safe. :)
Is there any way to copy my contacts to my computer or a USB-To-Go just to be on the safe side?
In addition to @ocnbrze's suggestion, did you know you can export your contacts? Assuming you're using the default Google Contacts app, just go to its settings and look for export. You can then save the file wherever you like.
And is there any risk in that?
No. Just a simple matter of following up with the appropriate method. For example, if you've used Samsung's or Google's backup, they'll restore the contacts automatically [assuming you tell them to]. Or, if you exported the data, just open the app, go to its settings, and use its import function.
(I know how to get pictures off using USB to Windows, I'm sure I could drag them back on.)
[Okay, regulars, cue the 'oh dear God, here goes MB again! :rolleyes: ' chorus.] Notes_Norton, you're doing it the hard way! :eek:

I haven't used a physical connection between my Android devices and computers in years. (IIRC, it was the last time I rooted a device and needed to use adb.)

First thing you should know is that I only use Linux, specifically Kubuntu--and it's always been light-years ahead of window$ in every conceivable way. So things that are a snap on Linux may not be on window$.

With that in mind, my normal method of transferring data to/from Android/computers is by networking. I've networked all my computers, and my Android devices access them, including external drives attached to them, as if they were right there on the phone/tablet.

Using a file manager, I transfer files throughout the day. I'm typing this on my phone in bed, but if I wanted to insert a pic that's on my dining room laptop, its process would be exactly like picking a photo from the phone.

If you're already set up for networking on your computers, or are willing to do so, and your Android devices are on the same Wi-Fi network as your computers, you should be able to do exactly what I do. No clunky cables, no clunky...anything, just seamlessly transferring files among all your devices.

/end MB's 'Linux rules the world speech' :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Hadron and ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones