• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help I think I know why the G2X locks up

Fine69

Android Enthusiast
Jul 29, 2010
I was watching a video someone sent to me and doing some surfing as well. As it was reaching 26 percent on the meter I decided to call it a night and put the phone on the charger it was really warm in my hand. After about 20 minutes or so of charging, a text came through. I touched the top of the phone to wake it up. And it locked up no screen. After gently prying open my body glove case( the right side of the phone by volume control is really thin) popped the battery out then back in and it came back on. Anyone else see locks up when phone is hot? This is the second time it locked up with a warm phone.

I was watching a video someone sent to me and doing some surfing as well. As it was reaching 26 percent on the meter I decided to call it a night and put the phone on the charger it was really warm in my hand. After about 20 minutes or so of charging, a text came through. I touched the top of the phone to wake it up. And it locked up no screen. After gently prying open my body glove case( the right side of the phone by volume control is really thin) popped the battery out then back in and it came back on. Anyone else see locks up when phone is hot? This is the second time it locked up with a warm phone.

Ya know, you might be onto something. I mean, the science makes sense. If you take a regular computer for example, they tend to seize up and act real funny when they overheat. Now, you're dealing with a dual core 1ghz device with no on board ability to cool itself whatsoever. Hmmmmm.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't be surprised if that's a factor in many of the problems. This phone runs hotter than any other that I've had, so if there's a component like a memory chip that is a little out-of-spec and is sensitive to temperature, that could definitely cause such problems.

I think there are other possibilities, though. For example, I've managed on several occasions to put the phone into what appears to be a catatonic state (nothing responds except for the button LEDs turning on when the screen is touched) while I was running the Firefox browser. In fact, though, it wasn't frozen, just responding incredibly slowly (the busy circle would move maybe one tick every 30-60 seconds, for example). I think it's related to memory usage: the G2x only has 512MB, and in each case I had opened 8+ tabs in the browser. After a few minutes the browser would finish what it was doing and the phone came back to life. I just limit myself to six tabs or fewer and I haven't had that happen again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones