• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root i think i messed it up .....(goldcard)

I send off my CID and was waiting for e mail to come through with the image ...
Next minute i get a call to pick up my daughter from school and unplug the phone with the intention to carry on later ....
Now i have got the email with the image but somehow i can't get the image to my sdcard S-:
On my handset in > SD& phone storage> i have >mount sd card- insert an sd card for mounting, so obviously the phone doesn't recognise the card that is in
What to do??
btw i'm using a mac S-:

This is where you type "sudo dd bs=512 if=~/goldcard.img of=/dev/disk2"? (copied from the page you linked)

sudo means "run as superuser", so it's asking for your account password on the mac to validate you. It won't echo your typing, not even asterisks to show that you typed something, but it is accepting input, so if you type the correct password it will execute the command.

If it won't work, it may be that the account you are using is not on the sudoers list. If you have an administrator account that's different from your normal user account, try running the command from that account instead.

Upvote 0
Is goldcard.img in your home directory? It seems to think not.

If it's in a different directory, change the path, i.e. replace "~/goldcard.img" with "goldcard.img" if you are running in the directory where the file is, or "/Users/******/wherever-it-is-/goldcard.img" if it is somewhere else.

Macs have the annoying habit of putting everything you load from the web or email into the ~/Downloads directory, so if you aren't sure where it might have been saved to, look there.

(Disclosure - to be fair to Macs, I find the Windows default of "download everything to the desktop" even more annoying ;))

Reactions: Braincrank
Upvote 0
If that's the file then yes, I would guess the name doesn't matter. But it's probably worth renaming it to goldcard.img for future use, i.e. so that you'll know what it is in 6 months' time!

If you can't open it with the "open" command or Finder then that's not a problem - I'd not be surprised if MacOS doesn't know how to handle that file.

Upvote 0
Now that's very odd .... since my fuffing about this morning and getting that message after the pw story, i just came back to try and get to the bottom of things and while i was checking my phone i realised that it now accepts the card because the <unmount sd card> button is active and i now have 7.40GB space available from my 8GB card ..... Phew
The next step will be rooting and trying to get my backed up stuff back onto the card ....
I'll keep you posted ....

Thanks Hadron, can i just rename it like any other file-re name ie highlight, delete, re name ?

Upvote 0
When I do the steps like in the link I attached in my earlier post , at the end after adding my pw it comes up with a msg along the lines that apple can't open the file ....(I'm not on the mac now)
It's very odd and very frustrating )-: I tried it few times but no joy.
Any idea what else I can try ?
I got a few small (2gb) cards floating about and if anyone would be able to make me a goldcard I would be very grateful . Please pm me .
Forgot to mention I'm uk based (most of the time )

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones