1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

i think i messed it up .....(goldcard)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Braincrank, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Braincrank

Braincrank Newbie

I send off my CID and was waiting for e mail to come through with the image ...
    Next minute i get a call to pick up my daughter from school and unplug the phone with the intention to carry on later ....
    Now i have got the email with the image but somehow i can't get the image to my sdcard S-:
    On my handset in > SD& phone storage> i have >mount sd card- insert an sd card for mounting, so obviously the phone doesn't recognise the card that is in
    What to do??
    btw i'm using a mac S-:

Advertisement

2. Braincrank

Braincrank Newbie

ok i found the image on my device and the file LOST.DIR haven't got the Footprints one though
    In the guide it mentions < enable usb mass storage on the phone> but i have not got that option...

3. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User

Its whatever way you mount the sd card on your PC to copy / read files.

4. Braincrank

Braincrank Newbie

Ok, found a mac guide and managed to do everything except the last hurdle is now that at the end it asks for a password ?? Is it the password i have for my phone or my apple id pw? Does anyone have a idea ?

Just found out it's the 'local root password' ??? What the ....

5. SUroot

What password? Where? Following what guide?

6. Braincrank

Braincrank Newbie

7. SUroot

Your mac user account password.

8. Braincrank

Braincrank Newbie

it doesn't let me type anything ... no numbers or letters S-:

Might have to contact my local apple store tomorrow and see if they can reccomend something .

9. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

This is where you type "sudo dd bs=512 if=~/goldcard.img of=/dev/disk2"? (copied from the page you linked)

sudo means "run as superuser", so it's asking for your account password on the mac to validate you. It won't echo your typing, not even asterisks to show that you typed something, but it is accepting input, so if you type the correct password it will execute the command.

If it won't work, it may be that the account you are using is not on the sudoers list. If you have an administrator account that's different from your normal user account, try running the command from that account instead.

10. Braincrank

Braincrank Newbie

hello Hadron,
    i put my pw in and that was what it says:
    dd: /Users/*******/goldcard.img: No such file or directory
    have you got any idea what to do next ?

11. Hadron

VIP Member

Is goldcard.img in your home directory? It seems to think not.

If it's in a different directory, change the path, i.e. replace "~/goldcard.img" with "goldcard.img" if you are running in the directory where the file is, or "/Users/******/wherever-it-is-/goldcard.img" if it is somewhere else.

Macs have the annoying habit of putting everything you load from the web or email into the ~/Downloads directory, so if you aren't sure where it might have been saved to, look there.

(Disclosure - to be fair to Macs, I find the Windows default of "download everything to the desktop" even more annoying ;))

Braincrank likes this.
  12. Braincrank

Braincrank Newbie

Ok, i found it in the Downloads folder, it's actually not called goldcard but got my name.img (that's how it came via email.)
    So i suppose i type it's name as it came, not goldcard.img , am i correct?
    I also can't open the file , the reason : not recognized

13. Hadron

VIP Member

If that's the file then yes, I would guess the name doesn't matter. But it's probably worth renaming it to goldcard.img for future use, i.e. so that you'll know what it is in 6 months' time!

If you can't open it with the "open" command or Finder then that's not a problem - I'd not be surprised if MacOS doesn't know how to handle that file.

14. Braincrank

Braincrank Newbie

Now that's very odd .... since my fuffing about this morning and getting that message after the pw story, i just came back to try and get to the bottom of things and while i was checking my phone i realised that it now accepts the card because the <unmount sd card> button is active and i now have 7.40GB space available from my 8GB card ..... Phew
    The next step will be rooting and trying to get my backed up stuff back onto the card ....
    I'll keep you posted ....

Thanks Hadron, can i just rename it like any other file-re name ie highlight, delete, re name ?

15. Hadron

VIP Member

Can't think why not.

Almost never use finder myself - more comfortable with terminals ;)

16. Braincrank

Braincrank Newbie

So here i'm back home after some time away and it's nearly the 2.oct and i still haven't created a gold card )-: my mac doesn't seem to be able to open the goldcard.img .... am very annoyed and frustrated at the mo.

17. SUroot

what do you mean "open"? You dont open it, you use the tool to put it on the card. Dont know how you do that on a mac though

18. Braincrank

Braincrank Newbie

When I do the steps like in the link I attached in my earlier post , at the end after adding my pw it comes up with a msg along the lines that apple can't open the file ....(I'm not on the mac now)
    It's very odd and very frustrating )-: I tried it few times but no joy.
    Any idea what else I can try ?
    I got a few small (2gb) cards floating about and if anyone would be able to make me a goldcard I would be very grateful . Please pm me .
    Forgot to mention I'm uk based (most of the time )

Tags: