• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

i think i might be in a pickle (regarding unlimited data plan) please help

bone_dizzle

Lurker
Jun 21, 2011
ok so here is my predicament, ive got an early upgrade as of right now but all i have is an old standard phone with no data package. im wanting to get a new android phone and get locked in the unlimited data plan before its too late.

i was wanting to wait till the bionic comes out but it looks like i might have to give up on that option. what do you guys(and girls) think would be the best bet for me to get locked in the unlimited data plan.

also if i should go ahead and get a new phone now what do you think is the best out there so far.

Go an play with all of the phones at the store. I owned a Thunderbolt for about a month and did not like it and bought an Atrix with ATT. They were horrible so I am now back with Verizon and got a Droid Charge. I have had no issues with the Charge and its a really solid device. Even coming from the Atrix the Charge is fast enough for me. The Thunderbolt is a good device if you can look past the build quality issues. If you don't mind caved in power buttons, misplaced kickstands or light leakage around the bottom of the screen is would be a good option.

Upvote 0
ok so here is my predicament, ive got an early upgrade as of right now but all i have is an old standard phone with no data package. im wanting to get a new android phone and get locked in the unlimited data plan before its too late.

i was wanting to wait till the bionic comes out but it looks like i might have to give up on that option. what do you guys(and girls) think would be the best bet for me to get locked in the unlimited data plan.

also if i should go ahead and get a new phone now what do you think is the best out there so far.

You can put unlimited data on your feature phone. Add it on there on 7/6... (I believe is the date before tiered data is introduced).. then just upgrade to Bionic once it comes out. You should be able to keep the data unlimited since you had it.

I would call in closer to July 7th and double check if that will work, since no one knows for sure yet.

Upvote 0
As someone suggested, just buy a used smartphone from someone (EBay, craiglist, etc). Just make sure the ESN number is clean and it can be activated on the Verizon system. I would recommend calling Verizon before buying the phone with the ESN number so they can verify it is clean.

Data is an add on service so you do not need to modify your existing contact, lock in a new contract, or use your upgrade to do this. So when you get the used phone, take it to Verizon and have them activate it with the old contact/phone number and add Data onto the plan.

Then you can still use your upgrade in the future when the phone of your dreams is released. This will lock you into a new 2 year contract, but according to Verizon, you'll be able to retain the grandfathered unlimited data plan at that time.

Reactions: Johnnybee
Upvote 0
Verizon seems to make a clear distinction between feature phone data and 3g/4g packages. Used smartphones are so cheap I see no reason not to find one to get the unlimited 3g package. Alot of feature phone people are going to be screwed if they think otherwise.

Hi Everybody. Can anybody confirm this? I am also in the same situation as a few of you guys. I have an old school flip phone LG VX8300. I know my upgrade is long overdue. I was planning on making the jump when the bionic comes out. I have a family plan and have recently upgraded two of the lines with smartphones, one with the iphone 4 and the other with the LG revolution both have the $29.99 unlimited data plan.

When I go under my verizon wireless account online, I can add features and under data packages they list an unlimited data package for $29.99 on that phone. I was thinking about adding this unlimited data package to that phone to get grandfathered in. Before I add it I want to see if anybody would know if what optimus wrote is true or not? I honestly have no clue. This was the only idea I had and want to see if it would work or not.

Some of you have suggested to buy an old 3g phone off ebay and activating it but i don't know that just seems like a hassel, and the date is getting close. I think I would sooner just get one of the other phones that are available now. Would anybody know if the available $29.99 unlimited data plan for my LG flip would carry over when I switch when the bionic comes out? Thanks for the help.

Upvote 0
A co-worker is in the same boat, feature phone but waiting for the Bionic. She and her daughter added/upped their data plans to unlimited on their feature phones last night. They called VRZ multiple times to make sure this would work and they would then be grandfathered in...every time they called they were told yes.

Upvote 0
A co-worker is in the same boat, feature phone but waiting for the Bionic. She and her daughter added/upped their data plans to unlimited on their feature phones last night. They called VRZ multiple times to make sure this would work and they would then be grandfathered in...every time they called they were told yes.

Thanks for replying Clementine. Would you know if they had like the older model flip phones? Mine is an old school LG VX8300 flip phone. Under my verizon online account it is allowing me to add the unlimited data package for $29.99 to that phone.

Upvote 0
I currently have an LG enV Touch which only has a $10 Web Plan associated with it. My contract just expired and I have a New Every Two $50 Credit but I would like to wait until the Droid Bionic is released, even if my last NE2 credit expires before I can use it.

Can somebody suggest a cheap (sub $100) Verizon smart phone as a temporary solution until I upgrade? I only expect to use it for a few months and I've had it with my enV..

Upvote 0
I currently have an LG enV Touch which only has a $10 Web Plan associated with it. My contract just expired and I have a New Every Two $50 Credit but I would like to wait until the Droid Bionic is released, even if my last NE2 credit expires before I can use it.

Can somebody suggest a cheap (sub $100) Verizon smart phone as a temporary solution until I upgrade? I only expect to use it for a few months and I've had it with my enV..

I can add that $10 package as well under my verizon wireless account.
This is what is listed under my verizon wireless online account under add features for my LG VX8300

ESSENTIALS

Data Package

Pay Per Use ($1.99/MB) - $0.00/month (this is what I have selected)

75 MB Data w/E-mail - $10.00/month

Unlimited Data - $29.99/month

What do you guys think? Should I go ahead an add the unlimited data and see if it will transfer over when the bionic comes out? If anybody knows or has done this with an older model flip phone feel free to let me know. Thanks Everybody

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones