• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help I think Im Done with This Phone - Multiple Issues

Matt3166

Dec 16, 2009
Reno,Nv
Ok, I've had this phone since day 1, had to exchange my first phone because of the amount of reboots I was getting, the second wasn't as bad, a reboot here and there but over all everything worked.
I finally upgraded to gingerbread and my phone is just down right awful, freezing that requires a battery pull, my getting notified I have voice mail when my phone never rang, I get text messages which the phone never notified me of, my data has been locking up requiring me to turn off the data in options then turning it back on (all the problems only happened after the update and I'm using both stock apps and I'm not rooted or ever was), then everyone's big complaint, the camera, one big feature that I got this phone was the camera, I paid for that camera not the new one, I didn't pay for updates that take features away, updates are supposed to make things better not worst. I did try doing the whole system reset after the update with no luck of fixing any of the problems I've been having.
So I'm stopping by a t-mobile store tomorrow to see what my options are which Im sure is limited since t-mobile nor lg want to take the blame for any of these problems that everyone on here have been having. I'm sorry for ranting on here I'm a pretty laid back person in general, but I just feel ripped off with this whole phone experience.

Ok, I've had this phone since day 1, had to exchange my first phone because of the amount of reboots I was getting, the second wasn't as bad, a reboot here and there but over all everything worked.
I finally upgraded to gingerbread and my phone is just down right awful, freezing that requires a battery pull, my getting notified I have voice mail when my phone never rang, I get text messages which the phone never notified me of, my data has been locking up requiring me to turn off the data in options then turning it back on (all the problems only happened after the update and I'm using both stock apps and I'm not rooted or ever was), then everyone's big complaint, the camera, one big feature that I got this phone was the camera, I paid for that camera not the new one, I didn't pay for updates that take features away, updates are supposed to make things better not worst. I did try doing the whole system reset after the update with no luck of fixing any of the problems I've been having.
So I'm stopping by a t-mobile store tomorrow to see what my options are which Im sure is limited since t-mobile nor lg want to take the blame for any of these problems that everyone on here have been having. I'm sorry for ranting on here I'm a pretty laid back person in general, but I just feel ripped off with this whole phone experience.

Can't blame ya Matt.

Over the past two weeks I've almost had to do a daily battery pull.

The GPS is still crap.

I'm starting to see the WiFi vs 4G fight (resulting in neither actually working).

It's just very frustrating. I called T-Mobile yesterday and the support guy had me pull the battery and sim card (like that will do anything, considering I do that on a daily basis), then I was supposed to be transfered to a "higher tier" tech, but my call either got dropped or hung up on.

I'll be calling again in a few days, after this whole Irene thing is sorted out.

Worst part is, like you, I've been an adopter since day one, waiting for some looney toon update that was supposed to fix the problems with this phone, only for it to behave the same as before.

Upvote 0
Ok, so I called T-Mobile and talked a Rep then a tech rep and their sending me another phone, I asked what would be my options if this new phone started acting up would we just have to keep going in circles, he basically told me it would be up to a manager if they wanted to do something else.
I'm happy to try another G2x, they seem to get better the older it gets but I may just have sell it and move on if it doesn't cut it this time, maybe for a Nexus S or a G2?

Upvote 0
Ok, so I called T-Mobile and talked a Rep then a tech rep and their sending me another phone, I asked what would be my options if this new phone started acting up would we just have to keep going in circles, he basically told me it would be up to a manager if they wanted to do something else.
I'm happy to try another G2x, they seem to get better the older it gets but I may just have sell it and move on if it doesn't cut it this time, maybe for a Nexus S or a G2?

good luck to you mate.

Upvote 0

I actually did the same.

Had a nice talk with a rep. Got all the information down, then told me it'll be another 20 bucks. I told him it's unacceptable, having already paid 500 for this phone, plus 20 already for the first replacement.

Escalated to a manager, manager told me there's nothing she can do, but give me the phone number to Samsung to replace my phone. Told her it's made by LG and she said she'll provide me the number to LG.

Called LG, it'll take 5 to 7 days to get a new phone once they receive it and inspect it. They'll figure out if it's a manufacturer defect or not.

That too, is unacceptable.

Called T-Mo, a nice rep waived the fee and will replace it with another one.

I also asked what my options will be if the new one starts acting up, but she said we'll just have to wait and see.

So we'll wait and see. Honestly, I'm hoping for the best, but expecting the worst.

If there are these no problem G2x's, well I really hope the both of us stumble upon them.

Upvote 0
I actually did the same.

Had a nice talk with a rep. Got all the information down, then told me it'll be another 20 bucks. I told him it's unacceptable, having already paid 500 for this phone, plus 20 already for the first replacement.

Escalated to a manager, manager told me there's nothing she can do, but give me the phone number to Samsung to replace my phone. Told her it's made by LG and she said she'll provide me the number to LG.

Called LG, it'll take 5 to 7 days to get a new phone once they receive it and inspect it. They'll figure out if it's a manufacturer defect or not.

That too, is unacceptable.

Called T-Mo, a nice rep waived the fee and will replace it with another one.

I also asked what my options will be if the new one starts acting up, but she said we'll just have to wait and see.

So we'll wait and see. Honestly, I'm hoping for the best, but expecting the worst.

If there are these no problem G2x's, well I really hope the both of us stumble upon them.

Alright, so I got my new one.

So far so good. Granted it's only been a few hours since I've been using it and I haven't installed any apps so far, but the phone is silky smooth. It would even make iPhone users jealous.

But I'll hold off until I see it in full action. I don't want to get my hopes up too high.

Upvote 0
Just got the G2x again on sunday. This is my second go-around with this phone. It replaced my Sensation, which was nice, but...eh. I really like the G2x. It rebooted on me 3 times in a row last night while charging. It then can't decide if it wants WI-FI or 4G, so then it stops data all together. Not sure what to do. I really like the phone and I really like stock Gingerbread. Hopefully the problems will sort themselves out.

Upvote 0
I've replaced my Mytouch 4G with this G2X... man, I have regret it big time..
Yes... the g2x is faster, but it is very glitchy and buggy..I just got it a few days ago and it came with the new updated GB 2.3.3.

The battery is horrendous.. I lose 10% battery every 2 hours without using the phone..just sitting there with the screen off. I have turned everything off except wifi.

I am about to switch back to mytouch 4g.. the battery on it is awesome, I get 20+hrs with medium to heavy use. Luckily I am still on the 14 day trail.

Upvote 0
Glad things are looking up for you. I got my replacement this past Tuesday and I'm glad to say things are looking good, like you said silky smooth, no freezing, no revolts. Hopefully this will keep up.

Alright, so I got my new one.

So far so good. Granted it's only been a few hours since I've been using it and I haven't installed any apps so far, but the phone is silky smooth. It would even make iPhone users jealous.

But I'll hold off until I see it in full action. I don't want to get my hopes up too high.

update guys? Still better. I've had the same issues, but I bought mine for cash on ebay. I don't think Tmo will be that supportive. Maybe through the Assurion warranty though I can have it replaced.

Upvote 0
So, I'm getting the idea that many (most?) of the problems with the G2X are related to individual phones and are only fixed by replacement of the bad phone. Is that an accurate conclusion?

If so, should one assume that most examples of the G2X listed on ebay are lemons?

About half the G2Xs currently listed on ebay offer some period for return - usually 3-7 days after purchase. Is that long enough to determine if the phone is a lemon?

What is a reasonable test procedure to determine whether any specific G2X is a lemon?

Thanks,

Stan

Upvote 0
update guys? Still better. I've had the same issues, but I bought mine for cash on ebay. I don't think Tmo will be that supportive. Maybe through the Assurion warranty though I can have it replaced.

It's been three weeks and I really couldn't be happier.

I've had two shut downs in that time.

One of them I noticed, because the phone was going very slow. Some app must have misbehaved (got Watchdog for that now).

The other one (about two weeks ago) was a random shut down. Which is fine with me, because all of my android phones have done it at one point or another.

I'm at a 109 hours of uptime right now, which is four and a half days and 100% positive that this is a new record for me with this phone.

I'm not exaggerating when I say that my 2nd G2x was restarting once a day before I got this one.

I'm so happy with this phone right now (things can still change, I will keep you updated) that I have no desire to switch to the Hercules or Prime when they come out. (About a month ago, there was nothing stopping me from flat out purchasing either one of those two.)

If all the newer ones are like this, I think it's a brilliant phone.

As far as getting a replacement Notsean, I'd try calling both T-Mobile and Assurion.

You never know who you'll get on the other line, they may possibly care and replace yours for the 20 dollar fee or something.

If worse comes to worst, then I'd Assurion.

Standroid43, if I were to guess, I'd say about a month is a good estimate. That's why, even though I'm happy right now with mine, I'm gonna let a few more weeks pass by before I make my final judgement.

My 2nd G2x was pretty bad, but it didn't shut down daily until about a month after my Gingerbread upgrade.

So it's hard to say.

Of course, you could always try selling it back on eBay afterwards.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones