1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

I think it's bricked, but I'm desperate for a solution- Removed "Home"

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by beninan, Aug 22, 2012.

1. beninan

beninan Lurker

To make a long story short, I accidently disabled the "Home" with my sausage fingers. :(

Now the longer story...
    I had rooted this phone about a month ago, I got it as a replacement phone after my other Commando decided to become several pieces. This "new" phone (which was used) still had Android 2.2.1 on it, so it rooted with no issues, and everything seemed ok. I had disabled a bunch of the stock apps with the app "Root App Delete" I believe, but I realised shortly after that the battery life was crap. So in an effort to figure out why the battery life was crap, I re-enabled all the system apps to see if one of them monitored battery life or something, but it turned out it was a different app on the phone that was constantly running. So I decided to go back in and disable everything again, and fat-fingered the "Home" app....

This phone is on a Verizon network BTW.

I have tried to do a master reset by holding the "power" "camera" and "volume down" buttons after turning on the phone, but had never gotten the red led to illuminate as described by everyone who seems to say that procedure works. I have also tried forcing it by holding the buttons for one second, every second after turning on the phone, but it would hang at the "Verizon INITIALIZING" screen with a bar graph that just sits there. I waited 5 minutes or so and nothing happend, so maybe I need to wait longer???

Stupidly I don't think I did any sort of backup.

The phone still has USB debugging enabled. Is there possibly some sort of Windows or Linux program that I wasn't able to find that may be able to access my phone through USB, to help undo my boo-boo? Is there a way to install programs though the SD card without actually having to navigate through the phone to install it, as to possibly install some for of Home app?

Am I fawcked? :(

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. beninan

beninan Lurker

After researching everything I could find, I came across this:
    http://androidforums.com/commando-all-things-root/542208-did-i-just-brick-my-phone.html

So it seems there may be hope for me after all. I've tried to access my phone though windows with the ADB.exe utility but it errored out. I don't remember exactly what the error stated but it was something about not able to see device.
    Every time I plug in the USB cable from phone to computer, the phone won't indicate that the USB functionality is available, it only charges now. Before I tried to use the ADB.exe utility the phone would connect via USB and I could view the files on the SD card.
    So now I'm trying it again in Linux, but it still won't connect via USB to even view the SD card files, which it previously did about 1/2 hour ago.
    Hopefully it will still go through

3. 4DAIVI PAI2K5

4DAIVI PAI2K5 Member

I did something similar. I was able to get online on my laptop and go to the android market and redownload ti back up and that made it pop up on my phone. I was then able to un freeze it.

4. or2me

or2me Newbie

easy .

find the apk and push it to /system/app.chmod it , restart.

5. beninan

beninan Lurker

update on this. i rememered i stupidly disabled usb debugging, so i cant do anything through usb to push files. i tried miltiple attempts to get something to happen, but no luck. ended up going back to "the store" and played dumb, figuring it wouldnt hurt to try. they told me i could use my insurance with a $125 deductible, or they had a used LG Revolution for $100. i went with the LG. much better phone so far and it was cheaper for me.
    thanks for the help.

6. Kobra7734

Kobra7734 Newbie

i Know this probably doesnt help now but the power camera volume down trick doesnt work on the commando i found this out when i bricked my phone with the security specs on this phone it is the only phone this wont work on as far as i can see. Was a real pain but i got lucky and got verizon to replace the phone for free (they didnt know i rooted it)

7. Willster419

Willster419 The Casio Smartphone Guru

you realize that you could have just installed the go launcher ex from a laptop and it would have defaulted to that? sorry about you leaving. wish i found this thread earlier.

8. anonymous777

anonymous777 Lurker

To whoever is interested, I would like to add that I actually uninstalled all of my home screen applications once. After that the phone would hang at the Verizon boot screen. To my great relief I found that I could use adb to install a home application from my Linux computer. As soon as I had done so the phone finished booting.
    Just to say that the phone will not complete booting until it loads a home screen, any home screen (I used Lightning Launcher).

Casio G'Zone Commando Forum

The Casio G'Zone Commando release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 3.6" inch screen, 5MP camera, 512GB RAM, processor, and 1460mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews