• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I think I've finally had enough....

Status
Not open for further replies.
After getting my tb days after launch (against my will -- I know the Eris is no comparison, but I loved my rooted Eris and it died prematurely). After just a couple of days, I was still unhappy with how big and clunky the bolt is in comparison but I was wowed by the speed, power and memory. I stopped using my laptop, could run my home and business all on the bolt.
Then one day, my apps were gone. Just gone. I tried everything an experienced android user would do, spent 2 hours one-on-one with a Verizon tech who rose to the challenge and was ultimately smacked down. Verizon sent me a replacement phone. Happy, I fire up the new one and...no apps. Oh, they're listed under "my apps" -- I just can't have them. Can't download, can't install anything, can't push-install from the pc, nothing. and the data backup I did before data wiping and replacing the phone? Didn't actually save.
One week, countless hours and all my data and apps gone, I have a very expensive 'dumb phone'. I suspect the problem is really with Google and the market, but who can tell? The biggest company in the world can't answer my lil ol' concerns except with the stock "log out of and then log back into Talk". Thanks a bunch.
I'd love to know if anyone else has encountered this particular woe. I don't wish it on anyone else but it would be some comfort to know I'm not alone.

Upvote 0
No direct disrespect to you, but I've never understood posts like this. I have been battling with HTC battery life since my Incredible. I've done everything under the sun and it still barely makes it through an 8 hour work day. And I'm not doing anything heavy on it other than texting here and there and maybe checking the Market once or twice. And this is my second TB too, so I don't think it can be chalked up to being a lemon.

I just can't even fathom getting 12-13 hours and still be at 50%. It's not my reality and never has been. And like I've said in earlier posts, that is with 3G running and all background syncing off, etc. I still can't get that type of life out of it.

Maybe I have had two straight lemons, but I doubt it. It's just so frustrating. :(

Take a look at the apps that might be running. Some use tons of power, and aren't even necessary all the time. Just a thought.

Upvote 0
Guys, I would like to update this thread since I got my Charge. The Charge has better battery life compared to the TB....by a mile.

And signal quality is not the problem. While it is a problem in general, it's not when comparing these phones. I say that because I have used them both at work. Same signal quality, different results.

Yesterday my Charge lasted 16 hours and still had 15% left when I went to bed. I would have had to charge my TB two times during the day just to make it until then. It's a BIG difference and it's refreshing to have a phone that can last all day on the stock battery with normal usage.

Here are some positives compared to the TB that I have already noticed:
  • Signal quality is better overall.
  • The screen is extremely better. Eye candy to its fullest!
  • Battery life is extremely better. 16 hours with 15% left before bed.
  • No random reboots.
  • No text message app freezes.
  • No data connection loss.
  • No bump charging needed. When the battery is at 100%, it stays there for quite a while unless you start heavily using the phone. It doesn't show 100% on the charger and then immediately drop to 95% when you take it off like the TB.
  • The Charge build quality is better. No frame separating from the glass and no mushy power or volume buttons. I had both of those problems on my two TB's.
Overall I think the Charge is the much better phone. But don't get me wrong, the TB is a nice phone. It just seems rushed and too many quirks.

Upvote 0
Guys, I would like to update this thread since I got my Charge. The Charge has better battery life compared to the TB....by a mile.

And signal quality is not the problem. While it is a problem in general, it's not when comparing these phones. I say that because I have used them both at work. Same signal quality, different results.

Yesterday my Charge lasted 16 hours and still had 15% left when I went to bed. I would have had to charge my TB two times during the day just to make it until then. It's a BIG difference and it's refreshing to have a phone that can last all day on the stock battery with normal usage.

Here are some positives compared to the TB that I have already noticed:
  • Signal quality is better overall.
  • The screen is extremely better. Eye candy to its fullest!
  • Battery life is extremely better. 16 hours with 15% left before bed.
  • No random reboots.
  • No text message app freezes.
  • No data connection loss.
  • No bump charging needed. When the battery is at 100%, it stays there for quite a while unless you start heavily using the phone. It doesn't show 100% on the charger and then immediately drop to 95% when you take it off like the TB.
  • The Charge build quality is better. No frame separating from the glass and no mushy power or volume buttons. I had both of those problems on my two TB's.
Overall I think the Charge is the much better phone. But don't get me wrong, the TB is a nice phone. It just seems rushed and too many quirks.

I got ya and I understand where you are coming from. But you have to remember that your experience with the bolt is not the same as everyone else's.

The Bolt doesn't have the best battery life. It's worse than my D1 and my Fascinate. But I'm at 40% left and I've been off the charger for over 13 hours. When using 4G, the battery is used up very quickly vs. when on 3G or WiFi and that is an issue that HTC needs to address.

But if everyone had the same experience that you had...we would have all left the Bolt a long time ago.

Upvote 0
couple of disclaimers:

#1 - i did NOT read this entire thread.
#2 - i'm kind of in a cranky mood.

that being said...

what the hell do people expect out of a portable device that's got more horsepower under the hood than behemoth desktop pc's of just a decade ago? i, for one, still have to pinch myself sometimes when i realize just how powerful phones and tablets are becoming.

is this whining the result of some sort of youthful sense of entitlement? the need to be spoiled and have everything be top notch and perfect? i just don't get it.

expectations are blown wayyy out of proportion, or so it seems to me. modern day smartphones are, to put it bluntly, amazing feats of technology. i get so tired of hearing all the whining about battery life or screen quality or this or that complaint about an OS. give it a damn rest already. you have no idea how good you have it!

Upvote 0
car+phone.jpg

Amen :D

Upvote 0
No direct disrespect to you, but I've never understood posts like this. I have been battling with HTC battery life since my Incredible. I've done everything under the sun and it still barely makes it through an 8 hour work day. And I'm not doing anything heavy on it other than texting here and there and maybe checking the Market once or twice. And this is my second TB too, so I don't think it can be chalked up to being a lemon.

I just can't even fathom getting 12-13 hours and still be at 50%. It's not my reality and never has been. And like I've said in earlier posts, that is with 3G running and all background syncing off, etc. I still can't get that type of life out of it.

Maybe I have had two straight lemons, but I doubt it. It's just so frustrating. :(

You are doing something wrong.

I had the Incredible. Yes, the battery sucked. I knew that the day it came out. Within a week I was almost furious with my phone, but I got into the habit of not using my phone every waking minute of the day and the life improved. It improved further when I rooted and got a good ROM (Virtuous) that I used until I finally sold off the Incredible for my Thunderbolt.

I knew the Thunderbolt would have a crap battery, too. HTC just doesn't have the best battery life. They cram plenty of features in, but the battery can't seem to keep up... it's like that with a lot of phones now.

With both phones, however, I manage to make it through my 10 hour shift, the hour or so that it comes off the charger before work, the drive to and from work AND the time until I go to be, normally 4 or so hours after I get off work. We are looking at a full 16 hours of unplugged time. I may not make a call some days, but most of the time I do a little talking. I do some moderate texting and some browsing. I even like to break out the phone for some light gaming later on at night before bed. When I plug it in I generally 20-40%, depending on usage. I'm at 52% today and I've still got about 2 hours before bed.

You are doing something or running something that is causing the battery to drain. I can say WITH CERTAINTY that the problem isn't with the phone.

Reactions: SeekerOfTheWay
Upvote 0

I had the Incredible. Yes, the battery sucked. I knew that the day it came out. Within a week I was almost furious with my phone, but I got into the habit of not using my phone every waking minute of the day and the life improved. It improved further when I rooted and got a good ROM (Virtuous) that I used until I finally sold off the Incredible for my Thunderbolt.

I knew the Thunderbolt would have a crap battery, too. HTC just doesn't have the best battery life. They cram plenty of features in, but the battery can't seem to keep up... it's like that with a lot of phones now.

With both phones, however, I manage to make it through my 10 hour shift, the hour or so that it comes off the charger before work, the drive to and from work AND the time until I go to be, normally 4 or so hours after I get off work. We are looking at a full 16 hours of unplugged time. I may not make a call some days, but most of the time I do a little talking. I do some moderate texting and some browsing. I even like to break out the phone for some light gaming later on at night before bed. When I plug it in I generally 20-40%, depending on usage. I'm at 52% today and I've still got about 2 hours before bed.

You are doing something or running something that is causing the battery to drain. I can say WITH CERTAINTY that the problem isn't with the phone.

I'm glad you are experiencing good battery life with your TB. But are you saying that the widespread and consistent reports of bad battery life is all user error? Even Verizon themselves say that the TB has horrible battery life.

And to say with certainty that the problems aren't with the phone, I can say with certainty that it's not true. I have my Charge set up the exact same way and with the exact same apps as I had on my TB. And I can say with 100% certainty that the battery life is leaps and bounds better. It's not even close or a question. As I type, my Charge has been off the charger for 3 hours and I'm sitting at 93%. My TB would have been well below that by this point.

And I doubt my phone was a lemon, because I went through two of them with the same battery life.

So, gone are the days of not wanting to even use my phone because of the fear of it dying. And gone are the days of keeping a 4G phone on 3G and crippling a ton of features just to get by.

I'm sorry, but I just don't agree with having to root and/or cripple the phone just to make it through a day. And if I was doing something wrong with my TB why am I not having trouble with my Charge? Same user, same settings, same apps.

Just my $.02.

Upvote 0
And to say with certainty that the problems aren't with the phone, I can say with certainty that it's not true. I have my Charge set up the exact same way and with the exact same apps as I had on my TB. And I can say with 100% certainty that the battery life is leaps and bounds better. It's not even close or a question. As I type, my Charge has been off the charger for 3 hours and I'm sitting at 93%. My TB would have been well below that by this point.

The Charge has different software though.

Upvote 0
The Bolt doesn't have the best battery life. It's worse than my D1 and my Fascinate. But I'm at 40% left and I've been off the charger for over 13 hours. When using 4G, the battery is used up very quickly vs. when on 3G or WiFi and that is an issue that HTC needs to address.

But if everyone had the same experience that you had...we would have all left the Bolt a long time ago.

Just goes to show you that not all phones are created equal. I actually get significantly better battery life with the Bolt over my D1 and I use my Bolt for games more than on the D1. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones but both my Bolt and my D1 are rooted and the Bolt gets me at least an extra 4-6 hours. I had even bought a spare battery for the D1 thinking it was the battery.

Upvote 0
After getting my tb days after launch (against my will -- I know the Eris is no comparison, but I loved my rooted Eris and it died prematurely). After just a couple of days, I was still unhappy with how big and clunky the bolt is in comparison but I was wowed by the speed, power and memory. I stopped using my laptop, could run my home and business all on the bolt.
Then one day, my apps were gone. Just gone. I tried everything an experienced android user would do, spent 2 hours one-on-one with a Verizon tech who rose to the challenge and was ultimately smacked down. Verizon sent me a replacement phone. Happy, I fire up the new one and...no apps. Oh, they're listed under "my apps" -- I just can't have them. Can't download, can't install anything, can't push-install from the pc, nothing. and the data backup I did before data wiping and replacing the phone? Didn't actually save.
One week, countless hours and all my data and apps gone, I have a very expensive 'dumb phone'. I suspect the problem is really with Google and the market, but who can tell? The biggest company in the world can't answer my lil ol' concerns except with the stock "log out of and then log back into Talk". Thanks a bunch.
I'd love to know if anyone else has encountered this particular woe. I don't wish it on anyone else but it would be some comfort to know I'm not alone.

Did you remember to keep the same sim card, and was the first phone deactivated properly? That sounds like the problem. I had to swap my first phone and it took the store over an hour to make all the adjustments in their system.

Upvote 0

Ill say with certainty it is the phone look at all htc phones. Nuff said.

Reactions: WizeGuyDezignz
Upvote 0
Wow....is the Wise man breaking down and betraying his beloved TB? hehehehe....Not to rub it in, but I'm kind of enjoying my Charge these days Wiseguyy.

What's funny is that the EVO 3D forum might ending up looking like this one. The reviews on it are kind of split when it comes to battery life. Some say it's horrible and some are saying it's great. Sound familiar?

No one even owns that phone yet...:eek:

Enjoy the charge Sean! ;)

Upvote 0
What's funny is that the EVO 3D forum might ending up looking like this one. The reviews on it are kind of split when it comes to battery life. Some say it's horrible and some are saying it's great. Sound familiar?

No one even owns that phone yet...:eek:

Enjoy the charge Sean! ;)

Lol...sounds super Familiar bro! I've checked a couple of reviews on the 3D and its not looking to good as far as battery life goes. But who knows...You really have to own it a few weeks to get a pulse on how it performs in the real world. I can attest to saying my EVO was a battery Hog...even without 4G. So that thing with 4G up in NYC, a 3D screen, and some other treats might steal the Thunder away from the TB as being known as a monster battery killer..lol

Thanks...for now enjoying my Charge, however if VZW and HTC gets they're heads out of they're butts and give us some Gingerbread, and Sense 3.0 love, I may have to take the TB back out of the box...hehehe.

Upvote 0
Lol...sounds super Familiar bro! I've checked a couple of reviews on the 3D and its not looking to good as far as battery life goes. But who knows...You really have to own it a few weeks to get a pulse on how it performs in the real world. I can attest to saying my EVO was a battery Hog...even without 4G. So that thing with 4G up in NYC, a 3D screen, and some other treats might steal the Thunder away from the TB as being known as a monster battery killer..lol

Thanks...for now enjoying my Charge, however if VZW and HTC gets they're heads out of they're butts and give us some Gingerbread, and Sense 3.0 love, I may have to take the TB back out of the box...hehehe.

Amen! 5 minutes of hands on time...not really going to get an accurate picture. Some will love it and some will hate it...and then some will be like me and enjoy it for what it is and accepting the faults of the phone and start looking to the NEXT gen phones LOL.

GB and Sense 3.0 isn't perfect right now...but I'm pretty happy with it. I dig the 3D launcher but we will have minor issues with it until they have a true TBolt GB ROM to base it off of.

Upvote 0
I'm glad you are experiencing good battery life with your TB. But are you saying that the widespread and consistent reports of bad battery life is all user error? Even Verizon themselves say that the TB has horrible battery life.

And I doubt my phone was a lemon, because I went through two of them with the same battery life.

So, gone are the days of not wanting to even use my phone because of the fear of it dying. And gone are the days of keeping a 4G phone on 3G and crippling a ton of features just to get by.

I'm sorry, but I just don't agree with having to root and/or cripple the phone just to make it through a day. And if I was doing something wrong with my TB why am I not having trouble with my Charge? Same user, same settings, same apps.

Just my $.02.

I still maintain that you are using it wrong. Especially after you saying that your Incredible continued to have horrid battery life. Something you are doing with your phone just isn't what it was meant for. The phone isn't made to send and receive emails 30 times a day while sending and receiving 800 texts and talking for 8 hours. Just not gonna happen. EVER.

I'm far from a fanboy, but I think you enjoy the Charge more just because you have a new phone. My wife has the Charge, she hates it. The battery on her phone may last an hour or two on a normal day. The screens do show the difference in design, but I prefer my form factor. She is considering going BACK TO HER FASCINATE she hates the phone so much.

Once the realization sets in that you use your phone way too much or have standards that are far too high for where mobile phones are at, then it'll get better. If HTC can't get a decent battery into their devices from this point on, then I will also have to start buying elsewhere.

I'm glad you're happy with the Charge. Though I've had the same mixed reviews that I've had with the Thunderbolt (IRL). My wife, like I said, is regretting her decision to get the Charge. It is her coord line (she works at the local VZW callcenter), though, so she can't just give it back or sell it. =(

Ill say with certainty it is the phone look at all htc phones. Nuff said.

I know! The phone maker widely regarded as the best in the business is obviously terrible. Thanks for your facts and figures!

Upvote 0
I still maintain that you are using it wrong. Especially after you saying that your Incredible continued to have horrid battery life. Something you are doing with your phone just isn't what it was meant for. The phone isn't made to send and receive emails 30 times a day while sending and receiving 800 texts and talking for 8 hours. Just not gonna happen. EVER.

I'm far from a fanboy, but I think you enjoy the Charge more just because you have a new phone. My wife has the Charge, she hates it. The battery on her phone may last an hour or two on a normal day. The screens do show the difference in design, but I prefer my form factor. She is considering going BACK TO HER FASCINATE she hates the phone so much.

Once the realization sets in that you use your phone way too much or have standards that are far too high for where mobile phones are at, then it'll get better. If HTC can't get a decent battery into their devices from this point on, then I will also have to start buying elsewhere.

I'm glad you're happy with the Charge. Though I've had the same mixed reviews that I've had with the Thunderbolt (IRL). My wife, like I said, is regretting her decision to get the Charge. It is her coord line (she works at the local VZW callcenter), though, so she can't just give it back or sell it. =(

I know! The phone maker widely regarded as the best in the business is obviously terrible. Thanks for your facts and figures!

Easy. If you are not having problems with your phone, great (me neither). If the battery last you long enough, and you feel the build quality is good, and the camera takes good pictures, and you feel HTC is one of (if not THE) best manufacturer...then you are in good company. A lot of us feel that way.

But imagine...you were having the same issues, and then got a different phone and your complaints disappeared and someone told you that you were using the phone incorrectly...how would that fly with you? This is a no win, pointless debate over another user's usage that isn't scientific, can't be contested, and honestly...doesn't matter. He's moved on to a new phone. Time to move on to a new topic.

/Closed

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones