• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help I think my Samsung Note 4 is dead..... I have important data inside, I need advice

Michael 828

Lurker
Jul 23, 2016
I have had my Samsung Note 4 for about a year now

For the past few weeks , the phone has been freezing randomly on certain apps and randomly shutting down and restarting. It has also been displaying a "Down loading target " screen , some times , when trying to switch it back on again. I have just taken the battery out and put it in again , every time that has happened and then the phone would start up normally and then I could use it

All has been okay..... until last night , when I was listening to some music on the phone. It was on about 31 % battery and then suddenly went down to 11 % ....and then shut down . I tried putting in the charger and charging it for about 20 minutes, but nothing happened, the phone didn't even respond

I waited for about 20 minutes, with the battery out, etc....then put the battery back in to try again. This time it started charging (still switched off), and showing it was 0n 40%. I waited for about 30 minutes and then checked to see how much it had charged..... it said 60 %, so I decided to switch it back on again.... as for the last few weeks, when it is charged over 50 % , it switched on okay

This time though the phone wouldn't charge or switch on, I tried all night and all morning to take the battery out....and put it back in again, repeatedly , but the phone was not responding . I have taken it to some repair kiosks, and tried other batteries .....but , even with new batteries, it still won't switch on or charge. I can not even get into the reboot or safe mode option by pressing the volume key, home button etc..... the phone is just dead... really strange

I am worried as I have really important data in the phone that I tried to back up a few days back, but didn't have enough storage......
Any advice would be great

thanks

Last edited:
too late now, but you need to make it a habit to store everything on the SDcard...

I won't buy any phone that does not have the option of using an SD card.

That train of thought saved my ass just last week.
My Note 4 died a hard death when I stupidly left it on the dash of my truck in full sun.

I pulled the SIM and SDcard out, put them in my old S5 which I carried with me all the time as an emergency backup when on trips...... and I was instantly right back in service again.....

I was able to do this, as I keep the S5 updated identical to my Note 4 with Nova Prime, folders, and home screens all backed up to the SD card, and also to my email server.

First thing I did was to "restore apps" off the SD card, then I imported the Home Screens from my email server and wallah! instant S5 just like the Note 4.

Reactions: The_Chief
Upvote 0
Try charging it up when it's off. I bumped into this issue with a Note II, but the battery was really messed up. I replaced the battery with a NEW one and it's been working fine since then.

New as in getting a ZeroLemon Battery. :)

If you get everything backed up off of it, do a complete clean and run Kies3 and do an update to Marshmallow (depending on the carrier). That, or Odin. That *should* resurrect your phone without further issues.

Upvote 0
Thank you guys for replies

To Simba:

I have tried different batteries in those indian run repair kiosks , they inserted the batteres, but it still didn't work

But I noticed this morning that my battery has a crack in it, right where th gold pincers are

And also I connected my phone to the P C this morning, via the charging cable on the U S B port on the lap top, and the connected sound came on.... but still no response from the phone. So it is recognsisng the phone.... but some how, the phone is not powering on

I thibnk either the phone is bricked or it short circuited when I attempted to charge it with the cracked battery.... OR it may need cleaning inside, or may be water damage

What do you think? either way.... tried different batteries yesterday, and nothing

Upvote 0
Update:

I went to the Samsung store , and they told me that if I left it with them, it could take a month and a half to fix as they don't have the parts yet, and it will take a while to get them. So they gave me a number to call, and then I will get sent a jiffy bag for me to send them the phone with and will take about a week

One last question: please guys, is there ANY way I could recover my data.... while I am waiting for this jiffy bag? I have tried switching the phone on all day, no avail

When my laptop went dead.... for an extra fee, they recovered my data... on the hard drive... is there an equivelent in a phone.. some thing they could pull the data from, if I offered them an extra fee?

I have important stuff on there

Thanks

Upvote 0
I don't get it. Whether its a PC or a Iphone or android. We always see these can't boot phone will I lose my data or what can I do. I started backing up my phones in 2008 or 2009. Especially tweaking, I know at some point in a electronics life its a matter of when it bites the dust and not if. Its like my roommate and his wife. 2 PC's, 2 Androids, tablet, etc and have absolutely no kind of backup for anything.

Upvote 0
No backup??? Oh well, that's on them. Data loss isn't a question of IF, it's a question of WHEN.
this is a truism that just cannot be emphasized enough.

I never keep data inside just a phone's app.
I always keep my good data in a "cloud based app" that can be accessed from something, another phone, my PC, but I just do NOT rely on the phone not crashing.

Damn good example. I have a Note 4 that was working perfect, never once did it give me an issue.
Right up until, I spaced out badly, and left it laying on the truck's dashboard in full sun.

It has not powered up again since. I am waiting on a new battery in the pipeline somewhere, FedEx claims I will see it sometime next week.....

If that gamble don't work, and it won't fire up and work again... it is toast.
My data? I keep it in Evernote and ColorNote.

Evernote for highly secure stuff.

ColorNote for grocery lists, etc..... and even that has a Cloud backup automatically, each time you exit out, it backs up to the cloud.

I pulled the SIM card out of my Note 4, plugged it into my old S5 ( I always keep a spare something around ) and it booted up just like it was never "off the air", and both of those apps came right up, and had all of my good data that was entered just the night before.

If someone does not use backups, I have no sympathy for them at all...
there is just no excuse for not doing so.

Nova Prime Launcher will make backups of your homescreens, complete with the folders for all of your favorite apps... but if you don't set it up to do so, even that won't help you later.

Reactions: The_Chief
Upvote 0
Update:

Last Sunday night I went home and decided to try my luck for the 1000th time, and try and switch on the phone..... the phone came on!!! Randomly, after days, decided to come alive again

I have backed up every thing I want and then tried to factory reset the phone , and the recomendation of the Samsung support.... I couldn't factory reset as it won't reboot

Now I am stuck with a dead phon again (but thank fully have my data now)

I am not just waiting for some courier guy from Samsung to collect my phone for repair

So the phoned is now wiped, but won't reboot to factory reset .... any idea why that could be?

Cheers

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones