• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I think something is wrong

i have NO IDEA if I am rooted. How do I know. never been b4. I aquired this DX from another.

also,what is SBF...this is cool. I am excited to get my phone on track keep speaking im all ears

Start here: U D G
It will tell you all you need know. Once you are done that head back here and someone will answer and specific questions you have.

Upvote 0
i have NO IDEA if I am rooted. How do I know. never been b4. I aquired this DX from another.

also,what is SBF...this is cool. I am excited to get my phone on track keep speaking im all ears

the easiest way to find out if your rooted is to go into the app drawer and see if there is an app called "Superuser" the icon will look like this

superuser.jpg

if that is there...then you are rooted...

As for the SBF...basically what you need to know here is that the SBF is going to be a complete system file...you're going to use a Windows based program called RSDLite to flash your phone with the most recent version of Froyo...

the process you're going to use is the exact process that Motorola or Verizon would use to flash your phone...

once you are done with the SBF you will have 3 options for getting on Gingerbread...

1. Take the OTA update...not rooted...may never be rooted
2. Manually install the OTA...not rooted...may never be rooted
3. Manually install the pre-rooted OTA

the post right above mine is a perfect link to start at...that will walk you step by step through the SBFing process...once that is complete...we will get you on GingerBlur...

OH!...i hate to say this but you're probably going to lose your data on this journey...you MIGHT be able to SBF without a data wipe...but i think its going to send you into a bootloop...

Upvote 0
the easiest way to find out if your rooted is to go into the app drawer and see if there is an app called "Superuser" the icon will look like this

superuser.jpg

if that is there...then you are rooted...

As for the SBF...basically what you need to know here is that the SBF is going to be a complete system file...you're going to use a Windows based program called RSDLite to flash your phone with the most recent version of Froyo...

the process you're going to use is the exact process that Motorola or Verizon would use to flash your phone...

once you are done with the SBF you will have 3 options for getting on Gingerbread...

1. Take the OTA update...not rooted...may never be rooted
2. Manually install the OTA...not rooted...may never be rooted
3. Manually install the pre-rooted OTA

the post right above mine is a perfect link to start at...that will walk you step by step through the SBFing process...once that is complete...we will get you on GingerBlur...

OH!...i hate to say this but you're probably going to lose your data on this journey...you MIGHT be able to SBF without a data wipe...but i think its going to send you into a bootloop...

OK!!! not rooted...I checked. what data would I loose? curious.

Upvote 0

OK!!! not rooted...I checked. what data would I loose? curious.

well...

- Apps...though they SHOULD sync back to your phone once you have set up your Google Account again

- Contacts...they should sync back as well...as long as you have not disabled the sync in your settings

- Texts...you can use a program called "SMS Backup&Restore" PRIOR to the SBF to back up your texts to your sdcard

- high scores for games and stuff...

NOW...if you want to save all these things then you need to root Froyo...and you can download an app called Titanium Backup...it will allow you to backup all your apps (and data such as high scores and settings)...then once you're on Gingerbread you will restore all your apps...

Upvote 0
Bleedgreen, to check if you are rooted, go into your app drawer and look for something called superuser.

To get you on Gingerbread, you will need 3 things.
1. RSD light 4.9 RSD Lite 4.9.rar
-or you could go the linux route that someone posted earlier. If you use the linux way, i'm pretty sure you can skip thing #2

2. Drivers for your phone. USB and PC Charging Drivers - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA

3. 2.3.340 SBF file. You need to look for this one, all the links I found do not work. The file is around 400mb though. Here is the filename to make it easier. VRZ_MB810_2.3.34_1FF_01.sbf

Here is a youtube video that shows you how to SBF. YouTube - ‪How To Unbrick DroidX Droid X Factory Reset SBF 2.3.340‬‏

Before you do a SBF, You need a FULL BATTERY

You should be able to get the OTA after you do this, but if not; You will need to download z4root off of the internet and the Droid2 Bootstrapper. Then you will need the 2 files from the TeamBlackHat app or from Mydroidworld.com

Good luck to you. You will probably mess this up, but just stay calm, with RSDlight working, you can never truly "brick" Your phone

Upvote 0
if you don't really care about the data you currently have...then go ahead and SBF...

but if you want to keep all your apps then you're going to root your current Froyo using an app called z4root...then get Titanium and backup all your apps...

THEN SBF your phone following Roooler's guide...that was posted by Frag...on the left side of the screen look for where it says "SBF'ing the Droid X"

Upvote 0
well...

- Apps...though they SHOULD sync back to your phone once you have set up your Google Account again

- Contacts...they should sync back as well...as long as you have not disabled the sync in your settings

- Texts...you can use a program called "SMS Backup&Restore" PRIOR to the SBF to back up your texts to your sdcard

- high scores for games and stuff...

NOW...if you want to save all these things then you need to root Froyo...and you can download an app called Titanium Backup...it will allow you to backup all your apps (and data such as high scores and settings)...then once you're on Gingerbread you will restore all your apps...

well perhaps maybe i should root.

but say i just get to stock froyo, to get to GB, and SBf'ing RSD lite(4.7 8 or 9)
which one do I use from that linjk. then when i download it what to do with it.

Upvote 0
Not OP but I've been trying that every ten minutes since about 9:00am - all I get is "Check for update was not available at this time. Try again later."

Not even Please try again later. lol.

Off topic - not for the OP, just the quoted above:

Had the same issue before the FroYo update came out. Turn off Sync over WiFi only. In GB it's under Settings / Battery & Data Manager / Data Delivery / Social applications / uncheck Sync over WiFi only. Should be the same or close in FroYo

I just found the POST answering this issue. Note: battery pull not necessary.

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
Does anyone have a zip to rsdlite_4.9.zip? I have 4.8. It is suggested to use the 4.9 via an instruction at youTube.

this one:<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/c58XaWnr6XE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

YouTube - &#x202a;How To SBF Droid X1 to full 2.3.340 OS 2.2 Now linked for Droid 2&#x202c;&rlm;

I also have no idea where to find the 2.3.340.
I have not fully seen this video yet. (im the cart before the horse guy)

these zips are quite frankly a pain when I have to go through a site that wants a membership. Just requesting a simple zip for both requested items.

Trying to get through this tedious task. I do believe a pointed out to yous already helping that I can get my DX up to recent FROYO and get GB working.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones