• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I thought i had it sussed....

alowen

Mar 17, 2010
Hi all, couple of questions: firstly, how do i get the weather app to update by itself without me refreshing? Oh, and ive gone to settings and set update automaticly.

Secondly: Google mail, how do i get it pushed to my hero? as in real time?

In the settings i can see the "always on mobile" thing, do i need to tick that box to enable both of the above?

Thanks in advance

Al

P.S.

Been reading the forum for a while now, love it.

Thanks slug, but it hasnt help im afraid. I got my phone through carphone warehouse and used my voda sim in it and it wouldnt send mms to start with. I rectified that by searching the web to get new settings to type in, it now sends mms.

I wonder if the lack of updating of the weather and push of emails is caused by similar settings not catered for with a vanilla device with vodafone?

Al

Upvote 0
Hah, thats probably the problem :p

In order to auto-update, a task needs to keep a service open in the background. Most of the time this service will use little if any system resources, only coming into action when it needs to do something, like update a widget. Killing the service means no auto-update.

However, you are safe to kill the gmail app, if you kill this you WILL still get auto notifications of emails. But this doesn't apply to the default mail app, killing that will stop you getting email updates for any email accounts you have set up on it.

If you are using taskiller then yellow does mean it is using resources.

Anyway add the weather (and any other widget you want to auto-update) to your ignore list :p

Let us know if it works out!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones