1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips I thought Invisible Shield was supposed to be clear

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dannykewl, Jul 28, 2011.

1. dannykewl

dannykewl Member
    None

Jul 4, 2011
    Male
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA
    Hi, I just went to Best Buy yesterday, as I wanted to get a decent screen protector for my new HTC sensation 4G. I just blew thru the 2 pack that you get from T-Mobile for $16.99 in less than a week, they just won't stay on, and i even had the T-Mo store apply one for me.

Best Buy has the Zagg Invisible shield, which they claim is virtually indestructable. BB didn't have one for the Sensation yet, so they used one for the Samsung Infuse, but they had to cut it a bit. I asked them to apply it for me, as I had awful results (air bubbles) when I tried the T-Mo one.

BB also charged me $7.99 for "Invisible Shied Service" to apply it for me, so with the shield itself at $20.99 and tax, cost justover $31.

They told me not to put the phone in my pocket or anywhere that may try to peel the shield off till it cures 24 - 48 hours, which I'm honoring. But soon as I got it home, I noticed a lot of "lines" in the screen, that get worse depending on background and angle, and that seem to move when you move the phone. I tried to take a pic with a digital camera with only fair success:

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/7412/invshieldscreen.gif

The thin horizontal lines the screen are what I'm talking about. The camera also picked up a moire pattern, which I tried to get out of the pic best I could, as the camera introduced that. Is this normal for the Invisible Shield, or was it installed wrong? I really would like to get my screen protected reliably, but the lines really take away from viewing the hi-res screen. Thanks in advance for any input.

Advertisement

2. drdoom

drdoom Android Expert
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    College Student
    North Carolina
    My Zagg shield on my Incredible has the same orange peel texture, but it isn't as noticeable.
    I would attribute some of that look to a poor installation on Worst Buys part; it looks like they stabbed the screen with the squeegee when they were installing it. I would bring it back and try to get your wasted $8 back since it is so simple to install.

dannykewl likes this.
  3. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    Moved.

Avoid the "smudge free" Invisishields - those are no good. The plain ones are far better.

dannykewl likes this.
  4. colnago

colnago Android Expert
    None

Nov 17, 2009
    That's funny (odd)...I got the Sensation the week of its release, and the screen "shipping cover", that came pre-installed, is still on. I thought I was going to go ahead and get the T-Mo more permanent "protectors", but I guess I'll be looking elsewhere. I may go back to Lexerd...worked fairly well on my N900.

dannykewl likes this.
  5. mygt8a4re

mygt8a4re Member
    None

Feb 1, 2011
    Bradenton, Fl
    Its all in the user and/or installer in some cases.....I do agree, the Zagg IS is not so "invisable". I havent had one for some time (since my G1 a couple years back) and it appearently has the same blotchy look as it did back then. I also remember it not feeling to good when sliding across the screen (kind of sticky/unsmooth). I currently have the screen protector on that t-mo sells & its still looks perfect, no air bubbles, no problems at all, with another to spare. It was installed by the t-mo rep that sold me the phone & I personally praise it. It is completely transparent, feels smooth so its easy to navigate/swipe across the screen, and because of the screens concave/contour it never snags on anything when using the phone or pulling/putting it from/to pocket....sorry to hear your having issues....

dannykewl likes this.
  6. OldRoman

OldRoman Member
    None

Dec 12, 2009
    Security Officer
    Wichita, KS
    If you can find a Ghost Armor kiosk at your local mall try it out. I've had GA on every Android phone I've had (Sprint Hero, Moment, EVO 4G and now my Sensation). GA is fantastic. The dealer will install it onsite.

dannykewl likes this.
  7. dannykewl

dannykewl Member
    None

Jul 4, 2011
    Male
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA
    Thanks all who replied. I showed this to a couple of friends today, both who recently got similar phones to mine, one has a HTC Inspire, forgot what the other one has, and they are thinking by the way it looks that either my piece of shield came from a bad part of the original manufactured roll at the factory before it was cut and packaged, or the end of the roll, as the end of rolls of things sometimes are "bumpy". They both have screen protectors, not the Invisible Shield, but the Inspire has the AT&T store bought ($14.99/2) and these look much thicker than the T-Mo ones, and don't know where the other guy got his, but he put his own on. Both are flawless. I'm going to try to get my $ back from both BB and T-Mo, and perhaps actually go to AT%T and see if they have one that fits. If that o
    "orange peel" look is "normal", I don't like it, and especially what looks like stretch lines.

Thanks Mod also for moving this, I didn't realize I posted under the wrong area till later, and I was going to try to move it. Sorry about that.

8. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    No worries about the move, we like to help! :)

Anyway - fwiw - I have the Invisishield (regular one) on my Evo 3D and wife's Evo Shift - no bumps or anything wrong visually. (Believe me - anything visually hosed would show up on my 3D way quickly, certainly I'd be sensitive to any moire patterns in any case.)

Not trying to pimp the Invisishields, just saying they come in two kinds and as noted above by mygt8a4re, gotta watch for lemons in anything mass-produced.

The Invisishield can feel tacky to the touch if contacted hard, but glass smooth if touched lightly. All in all, I've been happy but will likely see what else is out there better on my next go-round.

Anyways, glad you got the info from folks you needed! :)

dannykewl likes this.
  9. dannykewl

dannykewl Member
    None

Jul 4, 2011
    Male
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA
    Actually I do like the finger feel of the Invisible Shield, it offers a little resistance as I think otherwise, on my Sensation anyways, the touch screen is a bit too sensitive. But the lines never straightend out, didn't think they would, so I'm going back to Best Buy in a little bit. Maybe I'll just ask for a refund and get a fully protective case for now. Thanks again.

10. dannykewl

dannykewl Member
    None

Jul 4, 2011
    Male
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA
    I took the phone/protector to Best Buy on Friday, the cut and applied a new one for me. It's a little clearer, and it still has some lines, but just on the right hand side of the screen, but not as bad as before. Guess I'll try to live with it till I figure something better out, at least it's screen protection that's not peeling off so far like the T-Mo ones. I took the T-mo ones back to the T-Mo store, and they said the only thing they can do is replace the package, no refund. So I have to unopened that I got for half price on a coupon when I bought the original pack. Don't know if I'll keep or put on eBay.