1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

I took the plunge

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Itsbiggs, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Itsbiggs

Itsbiggs Lurker
    None

Mar 11, 2011
    Got an early upgrade and went and picked up the Inspire. What the hell is this, 99$ for a smart phone, thats insane. I bought the Impression last year that does about 5% of what this phone can do and it was $129... All things aside that phone turned me off of samsung, possibly for good. Either way I digress, this phone is awesome... I only have one issue.

I've read the battery conserving posts, well i drove to work today (wake up at 7 to take phone off charger, it's 9:25 now) and my battery is down to 80% I did not use my phone at all, yes I have gmail, and my work email linked to the phone and the brightness turned down to 25%. I am not expecting phenomenal battery performance out of a phone that does this much, but with people saying they are moderate users and are getting 12 hours, or atleast 8-9 hours and I've used 20% of my batter doing essentially nothing but changing settings and downloading the battery widget.

I am surely not bashing the phone because I love it (only had it for a day) it's beautiful, well crafted and surely feels better than the atrix did (played with both before I purchased) and for 99$ how could I complain! I am wondering if I should just keep a spare battery around and just accept it as life and get on with it. I just wanted your guys feedback.

Should point out that i am 100% an android nub this is my first android phone, and I dont know what I need, a friend suggested GoSMS but that is about all I've got besides some useless apps to mess with. What are your guys suggestions, as well as some feedback on the things I discussed above. Let me know I want to become a part of this forum and help people, but this time I am asking for the help.

Advertisement

2. Piederman

Piederman Newbie
    None

Mar 8, 2011
    Try the "Juice Defender" app. It's free, and available in the Android Market. That's what I did, and it helped.

I'm new to Android, too. Got my Inpsire a few days ago. It's taking a bit of getting used to (coming from the iOS), but I'm liking it more and more. One thing I would recommend is that you take some time to really look through all the nooks and crannies of the device (software-wise), as there are a lot of settings you can fiddle with to do vaious things (such as extend battery life).

As for the battery life I'm getting: After a full charge at the beginning of the day, I was down to about 50% by 5:30pm. This was after moderate use of apps, internet and texting. Not sure if that's great, but it's good enough for me.

;-)

3. Itsbiggs

Itsbiggs Lurker
    None

Mar 11, 2011
    I'm down to 63% just got Juice Defender. Wouldn't be much of a deal but I kinda forgot my charger this morning, though I do have a car charger that I could pop it on for an hour on lunch. I am not sure how these new batteries work and if it would be counter productive to do that or if i should just let it die and have it sit on the charger when I get home. I've always heard about letting them die and fully recharge them a few times when they are new to get past the "memory" but I don't think these new batteries have the "memory problem" I just don't know. I've always tried to let my phone get close to death before charging it, about 10% then up to 100% I don't know what is healthy anymore.

4. digbickman

digbickman Member
    None

Feb 13, 2011
    i turn down brightness almost all the way down

switch wifi and 3g off/on based on need

turned off auto sync

removed those news and friendstream widgets

i get about 19-26 hrs

5. RigelX

RigelX Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 13, 2011
    Alabama

Still learning all of the tricks myself (only had mine 2 days) but I did all of this and installed Juice Defender last night.

I took it off the charger at 6 this morning, and I'm at 83% right now (almost 7pm).

Since I started reading these forums, I've had to re-classify myself as a very light user.
    I figured I'd be moderate at least...but I see some folks on here send more texts before lunch than I will in three months!

6. darkside79

darkside79 Lurker
    None

Mar 18, 2011
    I left my battery die the first day. Used the phone till it turned itself off. Then charged it all night. I have been having much better battery performance today. I also am an Android noob. Plan on using it till it dies tonight and then charging it overnight again. I heard it helps the battery hold more of a charge. Read it on another Inspire forum.

7. RigelX

RigelX Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 13, 2011
    Alabama
    I was prepared for dismal battery life from any smartphone. It is just about the number one complaint of any phone I researched.
    I am pleasantly surprised with my Inspire.
    I fiddled with it constantly from the time I got home till I went to bed. WiFi was on pretty much from 6pm to 11pm. It was at 40% when I finally put it down.
    When I woke this morning it was at 33% (been 25 hrs since I took it off the charger).

8. mrcamp

mrcamp Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 18, 2010
    Chicago
    Just got it last night. Nice phone indeed. How do you see the battery percentage? I see the icon but no % next to it.

Posting this from my inspire.

9. RigelX

RigelX Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 13, 2011
    Alabama
    There are free battery monitor apps on the market