• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I tried rooting and it kept failing

It all started when I accidentally permanently deleted some pictures I actually wanted to keep from Google photos unaware it would also delete from my gallery. I tried those restore photos apps and most of them required rooting for the best results. So I tried to root it using odin and the firmware from sammobile and a few other places I can't remember. It kept failing. I even tried giving to someone to repair it but they didn't manage to. Now I can only get it to download mode, sometimes Recovery mode and it gets stuck and doesn't boot up when I go to the restart thing on download mode. I have tried resetting in recovery mode but it still doesn't boot it up. Is there anything I can do to fix it without retrying the rooting process cause I don't have space on my laptop for that anymore. Or is it just gone for good?

Attachments

• 163251001051458706435302044583.jpg
    163251001051458706435302044583.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 160
  • 16325100691191973830074119924703.jpg
    16325100691191973830074119924703.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 128
well first off using odin and firmware does not root the phone. did you use the correct firmware from sammobile that was specific to your device? using the wrong firmware can screw your phone up.

try sammobile again and make sure you are using the correct firmware for your specific device.
Yes I used firmware which was for my phone but it failed. I don't have enough space on my laptop now to retry using odin & firmware and all so I suppose it's doomed then

Upvote 0
When you refer to trying to flash the firmware obtained from multiple sources, that is something of a vague reference. The issue being if you're stuck in this bootloop only into Recovery Mode or Download Mode after flashing the stock ROM, that's an indicator it was the wrong ROM. When a different ROM than what's required was used, that creates a situation where your phone has no working Android operating system to boot into so all it can do is boot up into Recovery or Download mode. That's at least an indicator that your phone isn't hard bricked and at that point for the most part dead. Flash it again using an appropriate, matching ROM should restore your phone to working condition once more.
Keep in mind that there are multiple variations of your S7 Edge, with differences in each variation involving a mix of hardware (internal components) and/or software (ROMs, also referred to as firmware). So the ROM for a SM-935F phone may or may not have any or little compatibility with a SM-935A phone, there's a lot of variables to account for. So just to confirm, I'd suggest you re-download the appropriate ROM that exactly matches your particular S7 Edge. It's vital to select the ROM that matches the model, country, and carrier, ROMs are not interchangeable.
https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/
Even if you did previously select the correct ROM, perhaps the problem is due to the file itself was corrupted during the download process. But whatever the case, try re-flashing again. And do save the Odin utility log file that's displayed, there's a lot of relevant info in it.
Even if this isn't a ROM issue though, there are lots of other factors to take into consideration. Which version of the Odin utility are you using?
https://odindownload.com/
Have you tried connecting your phone to your PC using a different USB cable? If you're plugging it into a USB hub or similar pass-through device, try plugging directly into a USB port on your PC.

As a side note, since you were attempting to root your phone due to some lost photos, just be wary and very selective about which file recovery utility you opt to use if you do try to root your phone again. Most are just smoke-and-mirrors effective about actually being able to restore deleted files, basing their claims of success on how easy it was to actually do this with unencrypted storage media. Since Marshmallow, all Android devices have encrypted internal media so when remotely using third-party utilities running on a non-native OS it's not the same environment.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
When you refer to trying to flash the firmware obtained from multiple sources, that is something of a vague reference. The issue being if you're stuck in this bootloop only into Recovery Mode or Download Mode after flashing the stock ROM, that's an indicator it was the wrong ROM. When a different ROM than what's required was used, that creates a situation where your phone has no working Android operating system to boot into so all it can do is boot up into Recovery or Download mode. That's at least an indicator that your phone isn't hard bricked and at that point for the most part dead. Flash it again using an appropriate, matching ROM should restore your phone to working condition once more.
Keep in mind that there are multiple variations of your S7 Edge, with differences in each variation involving a mix of hardware (internal components) and/or software (ROMs, also referred to as firmware). So the ROM for a SM-935F phone may or may not have any or little compatibility with a SM-935A phone, there's a lot of variables to account for. So just to confirm, I'd suggest you re-download the appropriate ROM that exactly matches your particular S7 Edge. It's vital to select the ROM that matches the model, country, and carrier, ROMs are not interchangeable.
https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/
Even if you did previously select the correct ROM, perhaps the problem is due to the file itself was corrupted during the download process. But whatever the case, try re-flashing again. And do save the Odin utility log file that's displayed, there's a lot of relevant info in it.
Even if this isn't a ROM issue though, there are lots of other factors to take into consideration. Which version of the Odin utility are you using?
https://odindownload.com/
Have you tried connecting your phone to your PC using a different USB cable? If you're plugging it into a USB hub or similar pass-through device, try plugging directly into a USB port on your PC.

As a side note, since you were attempting to root your phone due to some lost photos, just be wary and very selective about which file recovery utility you opt to use if you do try to root your phone again. Most are just smoke-and-mirrors effective about actually being able to restore deleted files, basing their claims of success on how easy it was to actually do this with unencrypted storage media. Since Marshmallow, all Android devices have encrypted internal media so when remotely using third-party utilities running on a non-native OS it's not the same environment.

Thanks for the response I'll try again someday I guess right now I don't have space on my laptop to get odin or the firmware as I have a lot of college work on it but maybe later.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones