• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root i unrooted...

i had to unroot because of a very serious issue i had yesterday. i was in an emergency situation with my father being rushed to the hospital and i was trying to get a hold of my sister and what happens? i get the silent call bug. i had to restart my phone 4 times before it was able to work again. i was running Evil Eris 3.0. now i obviously know i have to call verizon and complain but i was wondering what everyone thinks is the best way to go about this. i read in other threads that getting a new phone(non eris) all depends on how long youve been with them and how much you pay etc... im in a family plan and my dads been with verizon since 97 and we also have everything fios.

(and everything is fine with my dad, he should be coming home within the next hour or two.)

i had to unroot because of a very serious issue i had yesterday. i was in an emergency situation with my father being rushed to the hospital and i was trying to get a hold of my sister and what happens? i get the silent call bug.

What a terrible thing to happen. :(

We've seen that bug reported in other urgent situations, but not on a rooted phone as I can recall (could be wrong).

Smart to unroot ant then head to the store with your experience, but (people don't like hearing this) if I ever had this "silent bug," at any time, even not in an emergency, I would return my phone never to have an Android 2.1 again, perhaps never to have an Android phone at all. That is a bit much, having silence, of all things when trying to communicate via phone.

I don't see how it is put up with at all, especially knowing that it could strike at any time, such as it did with you.

Upvote 0
this is getting ridiculous. i called verizon to see what could get done. they told me to go to the store and get the update reflashed to my phone, so i obliged and went hoping to get something there, so i get to the store, the guy tells me that this is not an issue with the eris only the droid. he then said that the only thing you can do is buy a phone at full retail price or switch to another network. he actually told me to switch to another network i couldnt believe it so i just walked out. so i went to another store a few miles away and they told me pretty much the same thing that i can only buy a new one at full retail price. i just got this eris 4 days ago because of the same issue. and now i cant even get a refurb?! ridiculous. now i've been on the phone with CS for 34 mins. the rep i initially talked to was great and now im just waiting on tech support. we'll see how it goes...

ok so just got off the phone... the are sending me a brand new moto droid at no cost. its good to see some reps actually care about your issues and dont just dump them on someone else.

Upvote 0
so i get to the store, the guy tells me that this is not an issue with the eris only the droid. he then said that the only thing you can do is buy a phone at full retail price or switch to another network. he actually told me to switch to another network

I'd make sure to mention his name to the store manager and probably whatever CSR's I ended up talking to. Get him fired. It sounds like he was just being an ass. And a clueless one at that.

On a positive note: I'm glad to hear that your dad is doing ok, and that someone finally came through for you on the VZW end.

Upvote 0
I'd make sure to mention his name to the store manager and probably whatever CSR's I ended up talking to. Get him fired. It sounds like he was just being an ass. And a clueless one at that.
thats exactly what im going to do. im calling over to the store tomorrow because i dont have time to go over and am going to talk to the manager and explain what happened.

I saw in an XDA forum people were reporting that as of yesterday verizon reps have been told that if an eris customer comes in complaining about a known bug to offer them a new eris, droid, or droid x (but the droid x will still cost $199)

the rep that offered anything was the on the phone. and i had to persuade her to do it. they gave me the option of a refurb eris, an early contract pricing for any phone, refurb pricing for any phone, or a free brand new droid. being in college and not having a lot of money i went we the free droid. i figured that was the best offer. i think it helped that i got those offers because i stayed calm and respectful to the rep i was talking to on the phone. it wasnt her fault the other reps i talked to in person were a-holes so i didnt want to take my anger and frustration out on her.

Upvote 0
I saw in an XDA forum people were reporting that as of yesterday verizon reps have been told that if an eris customer comes in complaining about a known bug to offer them a new eris, droid, or droid x (but the droid x will still cost $199)

I wonder if the incredible is available if you're willing to wait for it. The X is pretty cool, but with the current reports of the root/ROM situation with it, I think I'd rather have the D inc.

Upvote 0
I wonder if the incredible is available if you're willing to wait for it. The X is pretty cool, but with the current reports of the root/ROM situation with it, I think I'd rather have the D inc.

the rep i talked to did in fact bring up the incredible but because i stated multiple times i needed a phone asap she said that she didnt want to make me wait. so i guess depending on the case/situation they may offer it.

Upvote 0
it's always best to stay calm with the rep. i work in a call center also (not for a cell company tho) and will do anything i can to help a decent caller, but if a person calls and does nothing but give me hell, i will only do enough to keep my job.

^^^^^Words of wisdom.

I used to do phone work at an employment agency. It was a pleasure to assist decent callers and a challenge to even listen to some others, let alone give them our best.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones