• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I urge you to try swiftkey if you liked multi-touch. Place your review in here.

"you can turn that off"

Huh? Guess u don't understand what I'm saying. There is no word correction in this keyboard, they need to add it to spacebar. There is only word prediction.

I was annoyed by that also, not being able to put spaces in my texts, because i like to seperate sentences like paragraphs. So i disabled the space bar option, but the phone still operates the same, since the middle option is the word that i want 90% of the time, when i hit space, it still chooses the middle word and i can then hit space bar a few times and get more spaces between sentences. I know there is only word prediction, but the words that are in there are spelled correctly, so if you type the first 3 letters, you'll always get a correctly spelled word. I dont need it to auto-correct as much as i need it to auto predict. Because i'm literally hitting the first 3 or 4 letters and tapping out the rest of the word. I'm a good speller :)

I think you mean if you spell rediculous, it doesnt give you the option for "ridiculous" ? is that what you mean by auto-correction?

Upvote 0
I was annoyed by that also, not being able to put spaces in my texts, because i like to seperate sentences like paragraphs. So i disabled the space bar option, but the phone still operates the same, since the middle option is the word that i want 90% of the time, when i hit space, it still chooses the middle word and i can then hit space bar a few times and get more spaces between sentences. I know there is only word prediction, but the words that are in there are spelled correctly, so if you type the first 3 letters, you'll always get a correctly spelled word. I dont need it to auto-correct as much as i need it to auto predict. Because i'm literally hitting the first 3 or 4 letters and tapping out the rest of the word. I'm a good speller :)

I think you mean if you spell rediculous, it doesnt give you the option for "ridiculous" ? is that what you mean by auto-correction?

What it should do is check the success rate of its predictions, and if that rate is above a certain percentage, it should offer 1 auto-correction suggestion and 2 predictions (out of 3), where auto-correct is to the left, best prediction is center and a VARIATION of the prediction is to the right (e.g., middle is singular form, right side is plural form).

If predictive text is not accurate, it should switch to middle suggestion being the auto-correction and the side suggestions being predictions.

But, there is no easy way to add a space, no mic, and keys are not nearly as accurate as on the stock HTC Sense keyboard. If those issues alone were fixed, the dev would have an awesome keyboard.

Upvote 0
does the stock keyboard have a name?

how easy is it to switch between keyboards?

I've had a few bad experiences with apps seeming to screw up what I've accomplished so far, if that makes any sense. I'm still learning the ins/outs of droid.

thanks in advance.

not sure of what bad experiences you've had. Usually apps from the market are legit and tested.

Anyway, you long press in the text message box, just like you would if you needed to copy or paste something,once you long press it will say
select all
copy
paste
input method

click input method, and you'll have your keyboard options there.

Upvote 0
I don't seem to have any issues with the "margin of error" around the edge of the keys. Perhaps I'm missing something but there is no dead space around the keys. It seems like stock to me. I don't have thick fingers, though, and that may be why.

One problem I did have this evening is using handcent along with swiftkey. Handcent pops up a message window automatically in portrait mode. When I turn the phone sideways, it won't switch to portrait. If I close out, load handcent manually, then open the message thread, it will rotate to landscape.

I uninstalled handcent this evening because of it... I'm not sure which one is the culprit in this scenario and I'm not really interested in hunting the bug as I'm not a big handcent fan.

Upvote 0
I don't seem to have any issues with the "margin of error" around the edge of the keys. Perhaps I'm missing something but there is no dead space around the keys. It seems like stock to me. I don't have thick fingers, though, and that may be why.

No, it may be how fast the keys can be "read" by the keyboard. I know if I type past a certain speed - that would normally be fine with stock HTC kb - I get "read errors," as if the keys are not being picked up.

One problem I did have this evening is using handcent along with swiftkey. Handcent pops up a message window automatically in portrait mode. When I turn the phone sideways, it won't switch to portrait. If I close out, load handcent manually, then open the message thread, it will rotate to landscape.

I uninstalled handcent this evening because of it... I'm not sure which one is the culprit in this scenario and I'm not really interested in hunting the bug as I'm not a big handcent fan.

That's an issue with Handcent, I believe, because sometimes the quick-notification window will pop up in portrait and can switch to landscape, other times it cannot switch to landscape. I think I've noticed that, when the background screen is the home screen, Handcent can't change the orientation of the quick-notify window.

If the background is another home screen or an app, the quick-notify can switch to landscape. I'm almost positive that this is the case and that therefore is a bug.

What are you fan of, then? ChompSMS? I hate Chomp and love Handcent...but Handcent slows down when you have over 2500 total texts. Another issue is that, when you hit "search" within your list of SMS threads, you can't search by recipient's name, only where the name appears WITHIN a thread...huge oversight, in my opinion. Maybe I should email the dev about it.

Upvote 0
What the dev should do is turn the settings button into the mic button and then require long press to get to settings.

Also, the keyboard keys are not accurate like the stock keyboard and there must be a good reason.

I agree with you there. The mic button should be there, I also don't like the question mark insertion. You have to long press the period and i feel like the long press is too long to get the question mark.

i find the keys to be a little easier to hit vs. the stock keyboard..I would always eventually go back to the stock keyboard after a while, but for some reason, my keystrokes are registering better on this one. i dont know why, but it works better for me. I disabled the space bar to select word and i have mistakes, but not that many. most of the time, the word i want i s in the middle as one of the posters said here. its cool that it learns your lingo and texting ways .So if i'm always starting a text with "yeah or "yo" it starts my options with those words.

Upvote 0
JuniorNA:

You're either the dev's cousin, brother, or in-law, am I right? :p

Lol, dude, i don't blame you for thinking that, I'm usually one of those people that would be the FIRST one to think that same thing, but I'm really not associated at all.

Check my previous posts, never mentioned it before, i've had tons of posts testing out other keyboards, im just excited about one that i actually like and i know that keyboard functionality is a big issue on this board, so many different options and opinions out there, i was happy i finally found a 2nd best to stock. I promise i'm not, if it helps at all, i like swype too, lol. but no affiliation to the dev.

Upvote 0
Hated it. I used Multi touch before. Swift key picked the wrong words 7/10 times. I don't suggest this keyboard to anyone but my worst enemy.
well it is in beta now..so i dont knock it too bad.. I am using it now..and remember..it learns as u type..so it may take a bit to conform to your way of texting.. the only hard thing for me is that i use better keyboard..and ive been soooo used to the shiny red skin that i love...so swiftkey looks kinda generic..but... they do respond fast to questions and comments...i have submitted please add customize colors...hopefully they listened..id be happy to pay for it then........

Upvote 0
where is the option for you to have it scan your texts so it could learn the way you talk when you text?
open up app it takes u to the main setup.. hit enable swiftkey and after that hit back arrow..it will ask to download language pack..just hit skip..anyway it is step 4... i just saw this today...cause i was switching from better keyboard back to swift.. i only noticed it cause i got pissed that it was making me go thru whole setup again..im glad i read that it reads texts..otherwise i was gonna give up on it.. anyway..make sure u have texts in ur phone..lol..cause i had deleted all mine before that and was like wtf???this keyboard dont read sh**..ummm..no wonder...so what i did was text my husband a bunch of different crap in the lingo i use a lot with him and friends..that way i didnt have to randomly piss off others by texting them for my benefit..lol..better yet..text urself..

Upvote 0
ha, thats what i do. I have about 200 texts in my own text thread .if someone read the texts i was writing to myself, they would have me admitted to the psych ward.

"this is how i text, sup bro, f you, drop dead, anyway, how's life, love you, ok, talk to you later, yeah i know, oh me too, yeah i def agree, You're a loser, I hate you, love you, drop dead you scumbag, ok meet me later, come over for a booty call, nah, work tomorrow, get me cigs, ok, bye"

Imagine someone read that? they would never talk to me again.

Upvote 0
ha, thats what i do. I have about 200 texts in my own text thread .if someone read the texts i was writing to myself, they would have me admitted to the psych ward.

"this is how i text, sup bro, f you, drop dead, anyway, how's life, love you, ok, talk to you later, yeah i know, oh me too, yeah i def agree, You're a loser, I hate you, love you, drop dead you scumbag, ok meet me later, come over for a booty call, nah, work tomorrow, get me cigs, ok, bye"

Imagine someone read that? they would never talk to me again.
lol swiftkey was prolly like wtf??? this guys texts gonna need its own language pack...but question...why u save that many texts..lmao.. u got that many keyboards that read ur text style??anyway..now we all know what u say to yourself....u should be admitted for keeping them all..hahahaha..just kidding.. i text myself alot so i can longpress and save to quicktext in handcent so i dont have to type..im so lazy..i dont even know why i use a keyboard..other than to save preloaded messages to send..i even change them up a bit like what u doin..and what u doing babe..and so what u doin ..hahahaha...hey..i just realized..i have vlingo..i never use it...too lazy to even speak the message..hehe

Upvote 0
lol. yeah, i like how it learns what you type. it's very smart in that aspect. a lot of the sentences i type are already there in the 3 option boxes, so it's a matter of tapping the words you want instead of actually spelling it. pretty cool. The only thing i would request is more word boxes (maybe 6) so you can tap more than just 3 available words that are there when you start a text, whether it be a reply or a new convo.

Upvote 0
now you guys will KNOW that i'm not related to the developer after my reviews and insisting everyone to try it. The latest update ruined the keyboard completely, voice to text option keeps coming up in the middle of texting, and it takes a good 10 seconds to let it load, then hit cancel, it's really horrible when all you want to type is hello. I'm nowhere near the Vioice to text option button, i'm on the other side of the keyboard when i do it and it still pops up. I submitted a request/issue on their site.

Hello, ever since the upgrade, i find myself getting the voice to text command come up in the middle of my texts, and i'm nowhere near the voice to text button/settings button. I will be on the right side of the screen, typing in MOM, and the voice to text button keeps coming up, and i have to hit cancel, and then go back to my text. I think it has to do with the speed in which i'm typing at. I'm a very fast typer, and at first, swiftkey was the only keyboad that would stay on target with me when typing, even the stock keyboard was lagging, but now swiftkey lags more than usual, and i think it has to do with the added voice to text button, because in the middle of a fast sentence like "ok, im on my way", the voice to text screen comes up while i'm typing ON, and then i have to hit cancel, and then go back to my text. It might be the speed in which i'm typing, or could be a bug. either way, i'm sorry but right now i have to use the default keyboard because swiftkey is rendered useless due to the voice to text popping up non stop. I just did a test and typed in hello, and the voice to text came up and i was nowhere near the settings button. Maybe an option to shut it off would help? that way if you hit that key by mistake, u only go to settings and not voice to text?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones