1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root I use to be rooted like you, but then....

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by sex instructor, Jan 12, 2012.

1. sex instructor

None

Aug 20, 2010
    I updated... Phone appears to still be rooted (superuser still installed and seems functional) But wifi hotspot is buggy and wifi tether doesn't work at all.

Should I root again and if so, do I need to do the Un-Root process? Or just run the same Mac root program?

Sorry if question is redundant I just don't wanna mess my phone up:thinking:

Advertisement

2. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice
    None

Nov 28, 2009
    Which update? Verizon or GSM razr?

You should be able to just reroot and be fine.

Unfortunately, the owner no longer allows the discussion of wifi tethering (as it can be considered theft of service) so we will be unable to help you with that one. We can help with the rest though! :)

3. AndroidGreg

AndroidGreg Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 8, 2011

Wait one second before putting up the Wifi tether red flag. He never said he was using a root app to steal it. I know for a fact the wifi tether stock on the phone is buggy and it could be talking about the fix posted up what seems like ages ago about the MTU setting I believe

4. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice
    None

Nov 28, 2009

I'm fully aware of that. However, I would be neglecting my duties as a moderator if I failed to mention it. :)

5. Raw Dodge

Raw Dodge Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 16, 2010
    What software are you now on? I just updated to the leaked 2.3.6. It was painless and retained root easily with OTA rootkeeper.I never tried to take an OTA using it,so I cant say if itd helped you or not...but in the future,when you are rooted,your no longer under verizons safety net,as I call it,and need to look out for yourself... before you take any update from Verizon or unofficially,check here or with the developer of the root method to see if the update will break root,or is rerootable after...If no one knows dont update until the Devs had had time to figure this out.Ive been using this simple method since my OG droid,thru my DX,DX2 and now the Razr,and it works for me.....At least we have SBF,worst case you can SBF back to 2.3.4 ,root,OTA rootkeep,then OTA,and then the leaked update using ro

6. iploya

iploya Android Enthusiast

Aug 25, 2010
    TO answer the original question, the OTA updates have required me to re-root. It's a 2-minute process on this phone, so no biggie.

7. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time...
    None

Jul 9, 2010
    Male
    Engineer
    'neath a cactus
    To follow Kelmar's comment above, Verizon Wireless currently indicates that tethering without subscribing to their tethering plan is prohibited...

http://androidforums.com/verizon/455585-verizons-official-tethering-policy.html

In the Android Forum site rules/guidelines thread

http://androidforums.com/introductions/704-site-rules-guidelines.html#post3504

our site administrator states:

As this is a privately owned forum, the site owner has decided that he'd prefer that we not have these discussions. Since the site owner pays the monthly ISP bill, he gets to make these sorts of policy decisions. I'm sorry but this is simply the way it is... ;)

El Presidente likes this.
  8. sex instructor

None

Aug 20, 2010
    Thanks for the reply fellas
    I got it figured out, I only mentioned the Tethering to give an idea of how the phone was acting up because of the update. I never meant to actually have any forms of discussion about tethering.

I thought that running the rooting script while already halfway rooted would break something but it didn't.

9. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice
    None

Nov 28, 2009
    Glad to hear it worked!

10. Techno Tonis

Techno Tonis Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 1, 2011
    I wholeheartedly came in here expecting to see some sort of "arrow to the knee" joke. I must say I am disappointed, but congratulations on fixing your problem.