• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root i wanna know what im getting into

rbby228

Sep 11, 2010
hey guys i have an htc evo 4g with 2.2 froyo and i plan on rooting my phone phone with 3.21 unrevoked now i have a couple of questions before i decide to do this
1) does rooting cause anything to not work properly (like 4g,hdmi, etc)
2) if i do run into any problems are they usually easy to solve
3) if i download apps like wireless tether, overclock/underclocking, (basically the big apps for rooting i shouldnt run into security problems right?
4) are there any good links that show what the different kernals and ROMS do
5) is it easy to revert to stock if need be
6) any other good apps for rooted phones
7) anything else for rooting i should know

thanks in advance

Reactions: as329
1. no, if you root using unrevoked 3.21 and dont flash anything, everything stays the exact same (4g, wifi, bluetooth etc will all keep working....should...keep working)
2. problems with rooting are like health problems. once you do it, anything could happen, and the list could go on and on. Most problems on here have been 'diagnosed' and a simple search will help you fix your problem you are having.
3. not really
4. ROMs are here, kernels are here
5. follow this to return to stock (ive done it 3 times and rerooted 3 times lol)
6. Titanium Backup, Shootme, Rom Manager, Quickboot, WiMax notifier...LOTS more, theyre in this section, people talk about them here and there.
7. Have fun :) youll have a whole new phone after you root.
Just READ READ READ and make sure you do everything carefully and follow the directions...i cannot emphasize that enough.

Hope it goes well :)

Reactions: madmak and rbby228
Upvote 0
Did you not think to read one of the hundreds of guides and tutorials on rooting the evo? Generalized threads like this make me laugh so hard at the lack of effort.

Way to be, that is such a nice post, if you don't want to help, don't help, but don't be a punk, I am sure there was a time when you did't know what you were doing

Reactions: scmobileman
Upvote 0
Way to be, that is such a nice post, if you don't want to help, don't help, but don't be a punk, I am sure there was a time when you did't know what you were doing

I agree wake. I've never understood why people have to be so rude when others are looking for help. Sure he could have spent countless hours searching the boards but why not just ask and get some feedback from those of us who have already been there and don't mind helping out. If you don't want to help someone just move along.

Reactions: wake69
Upvote 0
There are frequently times when I don't know what I'm doing, but there is a big difference. I spend hours, if I have to, reading through threads to find answers and learn more. Boards like this get clogged up when people ask basic questions that are answered in stickies at the top of the screen. You aren't the only one, but I just can't fathom why you wouldn't take 5 minutes to find those answers. You asked the most basic possible questions that are stickies on every evo thread in the world. It's funny you call me a punk for questioning your post when I think you are being a punk by being lazy in the first place. It's ok. I'll be the bad guy. You just keep asking stupid questions that have been answered thousands of times.

Upvote 0
There are frequently times when I don't know what I'm doing, but there is a big difference. I spend hours, if I have to, reading through threads to find answers and learn more. Boards like this get clogged up when people ask basic questions that are answered in stickies at the top of the screen. You aren't the only one, but I just can't fathom why you wouldn't take 5 minutes to find those answers. You asked the most basic possible questions that are stickies on every evo thread in the world. It's funny you call me a punk for questioning your post when I think you are being a punk by being lazy in the first place. It's ok. I'll be the bad guy. You just keep asking stupid questions that have been answered thousands of times.

You do realize that the person you're responding to wasn't even the one asking the original question? The point is it doesn't hurt these boards at all if people ask the same questions over and over. If you don't like reading those posts then don't but there is no need to be rude. Furthermore you say you spend hours reading, did you ever consider that some people simply don't have that much free time?

Upvote 0
and fyi, I'm eager to help in many threads. I don't know much, but if I can help...I do. Next time someone starts a thread with, "Hey I'm getting my evoz!! in an hour. Where is the power button. What is the android. Can this do iphone. How bout batteries????"........I'll be sure and bite my tongue.

Upvote 0
sorry but i knew that unrevoked 3.21 is pretty new so that alone i believe was reason enough to make this thread as some of my questions directly or undirectly were related to that. also i did search and what my search revealed was that people had problems with earlier versions of unrevoked and roms and kernals come in different "flavors" so to speak. eveything else was all greek to me

Upvote 0
You do realize that the person you're responding to wasn't even the one asking the original question? The point is it doesn't hurt these boards at all if people ask the same questions over and over. If you don't like reading those posts then don't but there is no need to be rude. Furthermore you say you spend hours reading, did you ever consider that some people simply don't have that much free time?

I was responding to one person, the OP. You posted as I was typing.

Nevermind, I see what you are saying. I guess I'm talking to two people then. You get the point, but no I did not notice that since I was trying to use this forum on my phone

Upvote 0
I was responding to one person, the OP. You posted as I was typing.

Nevermind, I see what you are saying. I guess I'm talking to two people then. You get the point, but no I did not notice that since I was trying to use this forum on my phone

I am not the OP, so again don't be a punk, i have had 2 evos and rooted them both manually, one with 2.1 and the other with 2.2 by following stickies but have no problems helping others since that is what a forum is for

Upvote 0
I am not the OP, so again don't be a punk, i have had 2 evos and rooted them both manually, one with 2.1 and the other with 2.2 by following stickies but have no problems helping others since that is what a forum is for

I'm not sure what 80's movie you have been watching, but the constant use of the word punk is ridiculous. Either you can debate the issue or not. You obviously didn't read everything I wrote since you omitted half of my post in your quote. It's interesting that the part you omitted would have rendered your post pointless. Other than the childish name calling you have nothing to do with this, Robin Hood. Maybe the OP will do more research next time and maybe he won't. I said my piece. I don't need to hear back from you about it. Internet fighting is for people with no career. If you would like to PM me, then feel free. I'll give you my phone number or any other info and we can discuss what type of problem you have.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure what 80's movie you have been watching, but the constant use of the word punk is ridiculous. Either you can debate the issue or not. You obviously didn't read everything I wrote since you omitted half of my post in your quote. It's interesting that the part you omitted would have rendered your post pointless. Other than the childish name calling you have nothing to do with this, Robin Hood. Maybe the OP will do more research next time and maybe he won't. I said my piece. I don't need to hear back from you about it. Internet fighting is for people with no career. If you would like to PM me, then feel free. I'll give you my phone number or any other info and we can discuss what type of problem you have.

I agree, but you edited the second part after my last post. All I am trying to get across is help or dont, but dont hate the people who may be frustrated and tired of things not working, thats all.

Upvote 0
Internet fighting is for people with no career.

Thank you for setting the example for us. Every subject of debate that we now have in this thread is because of you coming in here. If you think it is such a waste of time, then why are you spending so much time and effort replying in here?

Have a look at the forums Zero Tolerance Policy, please.

Upvote 0
Thank you for setting the example for us. Every subject of debate that we now have in this thread is because of you coming in here. If you think it is such a waste of time, then why are you spending so much time and effort replying in here?

Have a look at the forums Zero Tolerance Policy, please.

It's funny how this whole thing was over and done with and now you want to chime in. I spend effort and time replying because I find this board useful and it helps me learn about my phone. Thanks for asking. I wasn't internet fighting. I said the OP should do more research. That's hardly in the top 25% of worst things ever said here. The person I was discussing this with PM'd me and it's all good. You probably should have stayed out of it, since you are only doing what you are complaining about. But welcome to yesterday.

Upvote 0
Nothing was over and done, you were still insulting.
So i just said youre wasting everyones time.
Oh well, its over i guess so take care :)

Heres a gift
duty_calls.png

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones