• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I want EVO: can I trade?

dan330

Extreme Android User
Jan 22, 2010
Hi all,

I have the Hero.. my upgrade is not till Dec.

a co-worker is on T-mobile and he is paying too much and service sucks. His contract is up and is paying $114 a month.
So I tell him about Sprint and the EVO. He can not afford the $200.
He wants to save on the monthly plan on sprint. So I come up with a plan.

He get a new contract with an EVO. I give him the $200 for the phone. We trade phones.
Told him to tell sprint the truth; that we plan to trade phones. So that he not get charged the $10/month. I will pay that on my plan when I activate the EVO.

I think this is a win-win for both of us. Dont want to take advantage of a buddy.

1. Will this work?
2. Will sprint care?
3. Any after effects or concerns? I can not think of any.
4. What is the best deal out there for an EVO? Sam's, BB, RS, online? where????

Thanks guys. :eek:

You can probably get away with that but you won't be able to get insurance on the phone and the manufacturer's warranty probably wont apply either. My buddy tried to do something similar with Verizon and that is what they told him. I am not 100% sure on that since I haven't heard about anyone doing it with Sprint...

Upvote 0
You can probably get away with that but you won't be able to get insurance on the phone and the manufacturer's warranty probably wont apply either. My buddy tried to do something similar with Verizon and that is what they told him. I am not 100% sure on that since I haven't heard about anyone doing it with Sprint...

I dont buy insurance. Hope I never need it :cool:

I dont see why HTC or Sprint would not cover on warranty!!!

Upvote 0
You can do this. The insurance WILL still apply.

However, you will forfeit the mail in rebate if you buy the phone straight from Sprint. If you buy a phone from Sprint and transfer it to a different line within 30 days, you forfeit the mail in rebate.

So if you want to do this, unless you want to pay $300, buy from Best Buy, Radioshack, or some other store... NOT straight from Sprint.

Reactions: dan330
Upvote 0
I dont buy insurance. Hope I never need it :cool:

I dont see why HTC or Sprint would not cover on warranty!!!

I think it has something to do with you not being the original buyer. My friend wanted to get the Incredible from one of his friends who just did an upgrade and Verizon told him that the warranty will not transfer over.

I would double check with Sprint just to make sure.

Upvote 0
You don't need their insurance...insure it as a personal article with your insurance company. I have State Farm...$10/month for insurance on 2 HTC Hero's, 8k engagement ring, 1k wedding ring and 2 laptops. No deductible. Covers repairs and replacements.

That's actually not a bad price. The only thing is electronics like laptops and cell phones generally would be classified as "Misc" category for many companies, and would require an underwriter to review and approve it.

Do you have homeowners with State Farm? Or renter's insurance? I'm a bit surprised they would write a standalone personal articles policy without other business, especially since jewelry and electronics are generally the highest risk for a loss. Sounds like a great deal, but I'm not so sure every personal would be able to get that.

I don't know how State Farm works, I work for a different insurer. For us, it would depend on a couple factors, the big ones being "location" and "other business".

Upvote 0
I don't think it matters where you get the phone you can still get the tep insurance within 30 days of activating that phone on your sprint account, that is the only stipulation I am aware of and the manufacturers warranty should still apply because if you are actually buying the phone and your friend never activates the phone on his account no one will know the difference, as long as you don't buy it directly from sprint they will never know.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones