• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I want iPhone 4

Yeah that Iphone looks sweet. But in comparison to your dINC vs the Iphone 4, the only advantages (IMO) would be the front facing camera and I think the build quality (but of course my opinion can change after the Iphone is released). I still like my Moto Droid but if I was stuck with ATT, I would probably get the Iphone 4.

Upvote 0
iPhone still has a 3.5 inch screen after all this time. This is because the iPhone apps are hardcoded to look perfect for that one screen size. The problem is that perfect looking apps don't scale very well. They can't adapt.

I feel that 3.5" is the perfect screen size for a phone. The EVO feels too big and bulky, and to me that detracts from the experience. The Incredible is about the biggest screen I think I could get used too. My Eris seems perfect for screen size, it's just a shame the hardware isn't on par with other offerings.

Upvote 0
I feel that 3.5" is the perfect screen size for a phone. The EVO feels too big and bulky, and to me that detracts from the experience. The Incredible is about the biggest screen I think I could get used too. My Eris seems perfect for screen size, it's just a shame the hardware isn't on par with other offerings.

I disagree. The EVO is perfect for me since my hands are so large.

Upvote 0

3.5" wouldn't be as bad if it had a real keyboard. But since it only has a virtual keyboard, that will take up most of that 3.5" and hard to see the rest of your sentence/paragraph (and what you are responding to if you are chatting)

That 960-by-640 won't lead to more text in less space because even if the smaller text is sharp, it is still too small to read.

Upvote 0
I have a 3.5" phone and it is the perfect size for me. If you are typing in landscape, it is not too bad. Would not recommend writing an essay. Keep in mind that there are alot of HTC phones and one iPhone so as a result, Apple has to make a phone which can work for everybody and 4.3" is not for everybody. Size/specs is not the problem, OS is.

Sent from my Liquid using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

Lol. If it cannot work well with Apple's wifi, it probably won't with mine. And iPhone to iPhone only? Skype/Qik better make apps. Most future smartphones will have front cameras (hilarious that Jobs is acting like Apple pioneered this despite there being two phones already on the market with it)

Sent from my Liquid using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
Somebody convince me that I should stick with Android...I really like Android but something about iPhone just set the bar for me.

Depends on what you want. I also have a DINC.
Android benefits:

Removable battery, removable memory, open-platform with many possibilities, wide range of choice (choose between many music players, email clients, web browsers)

iPhone benefits: unrivaled PMP , clear Enterprise features/connectivity advantages, better hardware (until the next round of handsets int 3-4 months), iOS user interface, better 3rd party accessories, better build quality and refinement.

The A4 CPU, battery life, & the 720p/30fps video play/record took me over the edge. Not to mention, my next car I am getting in September will have full iPhone controls.

Upvote 0
lol nuff said

Some of us have locked down android phones, so we have no freedom, except to have wallpapers, and widgets are not important to everyone. My iphone 3gs could multitask much better, way better than my htc hero. in fact my hero can barely get out of its own way, often freezing, locking up, slow as molasses too.

many of us are having a bad android experience, especially on the carrier i am on. if everyone could root and not need a computer engineering degree to do it, it would be neat. Our carrier ticked off a lot of people selling the hero, promising the updates as fast as Google could put them out, we could have more apps than the iphone because it had removable and upgradeable storage, etc etc..it was faster than the iphone, blah blah blah....

Upvote 0
The thing is, I will never be able to consider the iPhone as more than an exercise of intellectual curiosity (is A4 better than snapdragon? is a 3.5" screen with hi-res better than a bigger screen?) until it is off AT&T exclusivity. After all, I would actually want to use it as a phone and not as a more expensive iTouch.

Upvote 0
A4 better than snapdragon?
From my own personal experience. My iPad (A4) is leaps and bounds faster than my 1GHZ Droid Incredible. The battery life is also amazing. So if I get 75% of what the iPad can do in the iPhone 4, then yes, it is better. That is until I see the Galaxy and the newer Snap Dragons. It could also be that Apple is better at optimizing their OS for their own CPU.

is a 3.5" screen with hi-res better than a bigger screen?

It has a PPI higher than most print magazines. It is also a 18-24 bit color display whereas the Nexxus One, Droid Incredible and Sprint EVO 4G are 16-bit with a max of 65,000 colors.

If you are to believe the printed and stated specs, it has a higher pixel density of a printed magazine.

This is a bit hard for me to believe so I have to see this for myself. I'm straining eyes reading 800x480 off my 3.7 DINC so anything that is closer to a printed paper would be mind blowing. Again, we all have to see if this is true or not.

Upvote 0
the iPhone will have a "advantage" for about 3 months. They still don't have things that 2.2 has such as push to device - browser extensions. Video chat with anyone, over the actual network, not wifi. Replaceable batteries that only cost around 30 dollars. True, not pseudo multitasking.

They only advantage they have currently is the screen ... and that will not been such in 3 months I can say for certain.

Upvote 0
They only advantage they have currently is the screen ... and that will not been such in 3 months I can say for certain.

No, don't make such a blanket statement. Froyo still lacks many enterprise features that still makes Blackberry, iPhone, Windows Mobile bigger in market share in that order for those reasons.

Just go to Google's own feature request site for Android. All the top requests are for enterprise level connectivity/management stuff that is standard and taken for granted on Blackberry, iPhone, WM.

Companies that buys 100s of handset make a bigger impact than people like you and me.

Upvote 0
The inherent disadvantage of the Apple closed development model is that we will at most get a single phone each year and a single major update to the operating system. On the Android end, there seems to be a steady flow of updates, as would be expected from an open development model. Likewise, with the open licensing, we will also see monthly advances in phone technology, whereas with the iPhone, there will be one type of iPhone once a year.

This is the kind of issue that caused the Mac to be relegated to second position in the computing industry, and this will likely provide the same fate for the iPhone and iOS. Why does history need to repeat itself?

Upvote 0
From my own personal experience. My iPad (A4) is leaps and bounds faster than my 1GHZ Droid Incredible. The battery life is also amazing. So if I get 75% of what the iPad can do in the iPhone 4, then yes, it is better. That is until I see the Galaxy and the newer Snap Dragons. It could also be that Apple is better at optimizing their OS for their own CPU.

It has a PPI higher than most print magazines. It is also a 18-24 bit color display whereas the Nexxus One, Droid Incredible and Sprint EVO 4G are 16-bit with a max of 65,000 colors.

If you are to believe the printed and stated specs, it has a higher pixel density of a printed magazine.

This is a bit hard for me to believe so I have to see this for myself. I'm straining eyes reading 800x480 off my 3.7 DINC so anything that is closer to a printed paper would be mind blowing. Again, we all have to see if this is true or not.

You're straining your eyes? Really? I wear glasses and can read my DINC from arms length clearly. When I look at it and the vids of the new iPhone I see the same thing. I know of course the iPhone pics can't be any better than my computer monitor but my DINC doesn't look anything like the iPhone 3GS pics they are using for reference. It looked like the iPhone 4 pics. I guess I will have to see this in person. But as far as it being revolutionary....it seems more like a case of trying to gamble on the business of it being worth it vs actually coming up with new technology.

Upvote 0
I know of course the iPhone pics can't be any better than my computer monitor

Let see. a 21" 1080p monitor:
1920x1200, 21" diagonal:
197.58 square inches
2304000 total pixels
=107 dpi

Evo 4G
800x480 on a 16:10 aspect 4.3" diagonal measurement:

8.18 square inches
384000 total pixels

=216ppi

iPhone 4 advertised at = 326 ppi

So yes, based on spec, it will have a better PPI. As good as printed paper; less antialiasing. Care to refute my numbers? If you have a 24" or 30" monitor, your PPI will drop even lower.

Upvote 0
Let see. a 21" 1080p monitor:
1920x1200, 21" diagonal:
197.58 square inches
2304000 total pixels
=107 dpi

Evo 4G
800x480 on a 16:10 aspect 4.3" diagonal measurement:

8.18 square inches
384000 total pixels

=216ppi

iPhone 4 advertised at = 326 ppi

So yes, based on spec, it will have a better PPI. As good as printed paper; less antialiasing. Care to refute my numbers?

I mean the pics of the new iPhone can't be displayed any better than the monitor on which I'm browsing them. I can't see what it truly looks like.

Since you bring up numbers though it seems to me that its always been said until now that packing excessive pixels into smaller viewing areas doesn't get you that much benefit. The overall image is still small and you won't see all the details as you would if the image was larger. I'm inclined to believe that this is the reason Jobs felt he needed to come up with a marketing term for the screen. A truly noticeable difference would speak for itself. But now you have basically a bunch of fanboys running around screaming "Retina Screen" without having ever laid eyes on one.....and when it amounts to nothing more than a higher resolution in a small space.

Upvote 0
The overall image is still small and you won't see all the details as you would if the image was larger. I'm inclined to believe that this is the reason Jobs felt he needed to come up with a marketing term for the screen. A truly noticeable difference would speak for itself.

Initial reports from sites online say it is noticeable in a significant way.. None of us will know until we see it. You say it is excessive...

Well, I can tell you this: I can read fine print as low as 6pt on a business card at 300dpi. Print anti-aliases the font to make it legible.

I can't read anything under 12 pts on a 3.7 screen without getting a headache. So if the claims are accurate, it is a big deal. It isn't the icons, the pictures, it'll be reading nytime.com in a mobile browser; seeing a full webpage and being able to distinguish glyphs as real letters when it is fully zoomed to full page on that tiny screen. If this is the case, consumers will walk away from the store; thinking quality.

Upvote 0
Initial reports from sites online say it is noticeable in a significant way.. None of us will know until we see it. You say it is excessive...

Well, I can tell you this: I can read fine print as low as 6pt on a business card at 300dpi. Print anti-aliases the font to make it legible.

I can't read anything under 12 pts on a 3.7 screen without getting a headache. So if the claims are accurate, it is a big deal. It isn't the icons, the pictures, it'll be reading nytime.com in a mobile browser; seeing a full webpage and being able to distinguish glyphs as real letters when it is fully zoomed to full page on that tiny screen. If this is the case, consumers will walk away from the store; thinking quality.

I agree that it would be a big deal if that were the case. The reviews so far though strike me as a reaction to the term "Retina Display" as a sort of tech placebo effect. You know...give it a cool name and people will see something thats not completely there. I'm quite certain it has to look better with a higher dpi but the question, like you've basically said is how much. I imagine we'll see some better reviews and comparisons in the coming weeks.

Upvote 0

Are you sure the Android phones you mentioned only have 16-bit colors? Correct me if I am wrong, but since Android 2.0 I thought the OS + the Samsung AMOLED screen that the Nexus One uses are capable of displaying 16 million colours.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones