• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I want normal smilies....

:thinking: OP, what are you talking about? If you want to put a smiley in a forum post, they're on the right hand side of the text box after you hit "Post Reply"

I guess he's / she's talking about his / her phone. At least my Hero (standard and Handcent) displays certain smileys as Android-pictures.

I don't know how to disable them, though. So I'm completely useless then.

Upvote 0
I guess he's / she's talking about his / her phone. At least my Hero (standard and Handcent) displays certain smileys as Android-pictures.

Well, in Handcent anyway, there's an option in the Settings menu called 'Enable Smilies' which you can turn off. In the stock app, I don't think there is a way to do it

Upvote 0

yeah, i think the OP is referring to the fact that our smilies, on our phones, are little alien heads, rather than the classic, round, yellow-faced emoticon....

i have no clue, personally, i like the little alien heads. i was the first person in my circle of friends and family to jump ship off blackberry to android so when i see the little alien heads and no one else, little personal moment of win. :p

Upvote 0
So I realise I'm bumping an incredibly old thread, but all the threads I find by using the search option seem to deal with turning *on* the droid smileys.

Is there a way to turn them off? By turn them off I don't mean replace them with any other kind of smiley, I just mean replace them with plain text. I really want a smiley face to show as a colon and then a closed bracket.

I've got Handcent SMS, but all I can seem to do is choose between the green droid faces and yellow smiley faces.

Thanks in advance for any help guys :)

Upvote 0
You can disable smileys on handcent I think. It's been a while since I used that app though so can't be sure

If I choose Settings>Application Settings>Smiley Settings I can choose "Handcent", "Default" or "Custom". "Handcent" means I get yellow smiley faces, "Default" means I get green android faces and "Custom" means it loads up the marketplace (where it finds nothing, but if I manually go to the markeyplace I can find a pack that lets you add in the android smileys if your phone didn't come with them).

The other option is to go Settings>Application Settings>Default smileys items. From here I can choose to use emoji smileys, standard smileys or both.

Neither seems to give me the option to just use plain text.

Upvote 0
Um, if you want text smilies, just type them lol.

Yeah, but what about smilies that other people send? I want those to show up as text, not as a graphic. Say I was sending code by SMS (just go along with me), and I need to show a C syntax error caused by a misplaced parenthesis, and I don't want it to look like this:

int a = (b + c;)

Silly example. But I would rather see ; and ) instead of ;) when someone winks at me. I thought the whole point of emoticons was to use punctuation in a graphical way, not to use graphics in a... punctuational way?

Upvote 0
I use GoSMSPro with the Emojii Plug-In. This lets me use the tons of smiles I used to use on my iPhone and even interact with all my iPhone friends...

...and as you can see below, there are tons of selections tabs.

SC20111130-095811-1.png

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones