• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I want to cry! Getting fed up with this phone! Help!

Maybe you should stop trying to multitask - concentrate on your children and not a phone call!! Surely, making a call comes secondary to handling your kids - your calls aren't THAT important are they? ;-)

You're an idiot! Obviously kids are more important that phone calls you moron, the point is that you should be able to use your phone while doing other things. What a moron.

Upvote 0
I second TF1984's recommendation for the Proximity Sensor app. I've been using it for a week or so now and have been pleased. It locks the screen when the light sensor (top right LED) gets covered up, so basically if you have the phone up to your ear it will be locked. It automatically unlocks when the light hits the sensor again. Not perfect, but definitely the best available surrogate for an actual proximity sensor.
Here's the link:
chart

Upvote 0
Have you considered excusing yourself from the phone and calling them back?? Not much HAS to be done RIGHT NOW....Anything short of 911 can wait! And it's a PITA to try to talk to someone when you don't have their attention...
I really hope you don't think your post was helpful in the least bit.

Anyways, I noticed this thread and a few others about the Hero not having a proximity sensor. For this reason alone I will NOT buy the HTC Hero but instead I will be buying the Samsung Moment. The Samsung Moment DOES have a proximity sensor as well as other better features. To OP, you might want to concider exchanging your Hero if it's not too late. Ofcourse this all depends on your personal preferences between both phones.

Upvote 0
Anyways, I noticed this thread and a few others about the Hero not having a proximity sensor. For this reason alone I will NOT buy the HTC Hero but instead I will be buying the Samsung Moment. The Samsung Moment DOES have a proximity sensor as well as other better features. To OP, you might want to concider exchanging your Hero if it's not too late. Ofcourse this all depends on your personal preferences between both phones.

Funny thing. A friend of mine is on his 2nd moment cause the proximity sensor kept messing up. Open source is all fine and good but with a company like HTC making its own UI they may figure out a sort of "Scribbl" way of doing this and building it in with software instead of hardware that can fail. Given time creative programmers can over-come alot. Patience is a trait an android user must have otherwise go get an iPhone like the other sheeple.

Upvote 0
Hi there,

I really like the Hero but I have already called the emergency services twice by accident. You know, calling HP, then Press 1 for Dutch, then pres 2 for a new problem en eventually press 3 for servers. I actually get someone from HP on the phone but when they transfer me I got the emergency department on the phone (because I selected 112, which is the emergency number here in Belgium). This already happened twice and HTC couldn't give me an answer. So from now on I speak French instead of Dutch (which results in 212). It still tries to make a call sometimes but now I just get a 'wrong number' signal.

Upvote 0
I second TF1984's recommendation for the Proximity Sensor app. I've been using it for a week or so now and have been pleased. It locks the screen when the light sensor (top right LED) gets covered up, so basically if you have the phone up to your ear it will be locked. It automatically unlocks when the light hits the sensor again. Not perfect, but definitely the best available surrogate for an actual proximity sensor.
Here's the link:
chart

I really encourage everyone to install this app, it pretty much makes up for the lack of a proximity sensor.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones