1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

I want to flash a new ROM

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by cdadams1223, Feb 18, 2011.

1. cdadams1223

cdadams1223 Well-Known Member

You guys helped me out quite a bit a while ago when I rooted and flashed CM6 to my wife's phone. Well, it's become laggy for some reason despite running at 768. Also, her battery is draining quite a bit. I see there are two new ROMs...one AOSP and a CM7. Which one do you feel is better? Also, are the methods still the same to wipe her phone for a new ROM? I'm sure I'll have more questions, but we're about to go eat.

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

2. DonB

DonB ♡ Truth, Justice and the American Way !! ♡ ™

They are both good but new and still a WIP, if you want to try one that is really stable you can try AOSP 9.9.2 which is a very stable ROM, but if you want to venture out you can try the AOSP GB 2.3 or the CM7 they are both very similar, they seem to be having issues with GPS, before doing anything make a Nandroid first, as for wiping, yes it is the same, you boot into recovery, I recommend a full wipe including cache partition and then make sure you wipe Davlik, then flash the Rom followed by the Gapps.

cdadams1223 likes this.
  3. MahaloCat

MahaloCat Android Expert

Its your wifes phone -
    I would go with .9.9.2 AOSP until they get the GB issues fixed.
    Would hate for you to feel guilty if she gets lost and the GPS doesn't work properly

cdadams1223 likes this.
  4. cdadams1223

Thanks for the replies DonB and MahaloCat. I've downloaded the AOSP 9.9.2 to her SD card along with the GAPPS. I was getting her phone ready to switch ROMs by doing a backup with Titanium Backup. I tried to do a Nandroid earlier but the darn phone wouldn't boot into recovery...just kept me at a white screen w/ HTC on it forever. I had to pull the battery. :(

5. cdadams1223

One more thing as I just tried to boot into recovery, it's on the white screen...again...with a red "FASTBOOT USB" in the upper left hand corner. Any thoughts?!?

6. cdadams1223

Nevermind not being able to get into recovery. I was able to do it and I just flashed the 9.9.2 ROM and GAPPS. Keeping fingers crossed that all her stuff is still there...

7. cdadams1223

LOL...I just keep responding to myself. Sorry if I caught all of you asleep, but I do have another question. In the CM6 ROM that I had on her phone previously, one thing I liked (or she liked) was the ability to pull the notification menu down and toggle wifi, GPS, bluetooth, etc. on or off. With this new AOSP 9.9.2 ROM it doesn't have it. Do you know where I can find that or is there something similar she could use that's just as easy?

Thanks!

8. DonB

That is not available on that Rom build, that is a CM feature, it is available on the new 2.3 AOSP GB build which is based from the CM7, there are apps in the market that will allow a widget to do the same.

As for your recovery issues, I would upgrade you CWM and flash the latest recovery available that should resolve your issues, and again always remember before flashing make a Nandroid Backup.
    ;)

cdadams1223 likes this.
  9. srkmagnus

srkmagnus Well-Known Member

Cdadams, you can customize the pull down notification to have various widgets. For example, you take off the bluetooth widget and replace it with screen brightness. Access it through the menu settings.

cdadams1223 likes this.
  10. cdadams1223

Thanks for the help fellas! I think I've got her phone like she likes it. It's purring right along! :)

11. DonB

Great and glad we could help, tell her to enjoy her new kitten :D

12. cdadams1223

LOL! Will do! ;)