1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root I want to flash but overwhelmed!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Sarius24, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Sarius24

Sarius24 Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 11, 2011
    Dishwasher
    yesterday I did the Superoneclickroot thing and that worked perfectly fine, I was going to actually FLASH the phone but I'm so overwhelmed at all the information. First of all I want to put serendipity on my cappy but I have no clue where to start and even when I look at the instructions it feels overwhelming, and then I hear people saying you need to flash a kernel and all that Like....what does the kernel do? Also if Im gonna flash this phone should I disable the app "one click lag fix"?

Bah it's so overwhelming, I wish someone could litterally get on msn or skype and take me through a step by step...im so afraid im gonna screw my self over.:thinking:

also another thing that's held me back is im using the Rogers I896 phone, it's not the AT&T are most of these roms built for the AT&T version?

When I flash serependity do I start from version 5 all the way to 6.3??

Will I be able to return to my stock froyo if an actualy UPDATE for gingerbread does come out?

All these things I would really love to have answered...I would appreciate it thanks.

Edit: Okay so I tried to flash and it failed o_O I got an error because of the update file.
    Edit: Bah I found out why...my phone is stock 2.2 it needs to be 2.1....forget this -_-

Advertisement

2. JayFReaZy

JayFReaZy Member
    None

Oct 28, 2010
    Not to sound rude or anything, but how old are you? 10? There have been thousands, or perhaps even millions of people around the world who have flashed custom ROMs onto their android devices. The way you're going about it shows me that either 1. You've been spoon fed the 10 years you've been alive. 2. That you're not the brightest color in the crayon box, or 3. If there's a bump in the road, you give up completely.

I too am still a complete android "n00b", but with a little hard work and your friend "Google", a lot can happen. Flashing a ROM takes time and a lot of steps. Google "mobile tech videos" and the blog that comes up has a 3 part 30min long step by step guide on how to flash to a custom ROM. I don't think you can get any clearer than those videos. I just recently flashed my first custom ROM (serendipity 6.3) last week and followed his directions and it worked flawlessly. The only direction I deviated from was how to root the device. In the video he used clockwork with the update.zip. I used "Super One Click" which I feel is a lot easier and more user friendly.

Like I said, just watch the three videos, they are extremely detailed and informative. Flashing my phone took me about an hour (which inlcluded backing it up with Titanium backup and restoring it). In the future, please try not to come off sounding like your 10. There are a lot of people here willing to help, however, you have to be willing to help yourself first. If you need more help or information, Google is always there for you. Don't be afraid to break a sweat on your fingertips.

3. beatdroppah

beatdroppah Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 18, 2011
    Indiana
    the stock 2.2 shouldnt matter....i wiped my system, back to stock froyo 2.2, and flashed Serendipity 6.3 without any trouble at all...

ive only had my phone for about a month now...and this was my first android OS phone, so i was completely fresh and new to this OS and the whole rooting and ROM flashing stuff. but i googled and found some insight on all this, found some informative and tutorialized videos, and had my cappy flashed to Serendipity 6.3 fast and flawlessly. just look around, and do some research.

doing it is not the hard part, understanding it, and being cautious is the part you need to keep in mind

4. Sarius24

None

Feb 11, 2011
    Dishwasher
    ..........K first of all no im not freaking 10 years old I spent almost 2 days researching on how to do this going through countless pages on google and xda, spent hours trying to figure out how to flash it for ROGERS phone. I know the steps to do it now but atm it's stuck at the update and It's because I need to downgrade the phone because mine is stock 2.2 froyo. Problem is there isnt a suitable downgrade for the rogers one...Im not 100% sure but i looked everywhere. I pretty much gave up on it, it doesnt bug me if I dont have the custom rom or not anymore. So don't go around just assuming I haven't done my research...it's actually IS RUDE. And I CAME here because I wanted to know if anyone HAS flashed FOR ROGERS phone because the majority of people here are almost certainly using the AT&T US captivate instead of the rogers so I needed to comfirm if it's even possible to root. Just don't start

5. JayFReaZy

JayFReaZy Member
    None

Oct 28, 2010
    You're right I shouldn't have assumed. I didn't want to come off as mean, it's just I got this whiny, I'm throwing a temper tantrum, I give up, kinda impression from your initial post. Then you wished someone would hold your hand through the whole process. I'm no android expert, far from it, but I've been doing research little by little ever since I purchased my Captivate way back in October. Only a week ago did I feel comfortable enough to flash my first ROM.

Now you say you've done tons of research on XDA, Google and here. However,"there isn't a suitable downgrade for the rogers one", you're not 100% sure, but you checked everywhere? In a nutshell that means, you ARE 100% sure, or you DIDN'T check everywhere. I'm not assuming this, but you didn't check everywhere. You're right that Rogers is different than the AT&T captivate version, however there are instructions on XDA and Google on your exact situation. It does seem different than the instructions for the U.S. captivate, however, it still says you must DOWNGRADE to stock 2.1 in order to flash. I decided to perform a quick Google search and I was able to find all the info you needed in less than 2 minutes. From how to flash over the AT&T stock software to Rogers, to how to fix your current predicament; but since it doesn't "bug you" not having a custom ROM, I wish you good luck in going back to stock.

6. xThaNaturalx

xThaNaturalx Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 23, 2010
    Student
    East Lansing
    I'm not sure what your current profession is, but I would suggest looking into the psychiatry field. That post made me happy.

7. Sarius24

None

Feb 11, 2011
    Dishwasher
    Wow, doesn't hurt to be kind...

8. Andrewdroid

Andrewdroid Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 28, 2010
    Enterprise
    Gotham
    Sarius24 likes this.
  9. Andrewdroid

Andrewdroid Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 28, 2010
    Enterprise
    Gotham
    Sarius24 likes this.
  10. JayFReaZy

JayFReaZy Member
    None

Oct 28, 2010
    I'm glad I can bring some joy to a part of your day! :D

11. Sarius24

None

Feb 11, 2011
    Dishwasher
    Andrew droid thanks! I will try this now! :D
    DUUUUDE THANKS It worked Perfectly!!! <3 you are god!