1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root I Want To Get Junk-ware Off My Phone

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by andywarno, Jul 2, 2011.

1. andywarno

andywarno Member
    None

Nov 17, 2010
    Kalamazoo, MI, USA
    This morning, I successfully rooted my phone, thanks to the stellar guides in this forum. I then proceeded to try out OMGB Gingerbread. It was pretty cool, but I'm not entirely sure I used the right version. As I understand it, OMGB is up to v7 and mine said it was only 1.2 or there-abouts. It didn't have the market app and I couldn't get it set up with my Google account, so I decided I'd just recover back to 2.2 Sense (still rooted), and since HTC is going to supposedly roll out a 2.3 update to the Incredible this summer (I'm skeptical but still hoping), I think I'll just keep it here and see if 2.3 actually does come our way. But I digress...

One of the major reasons I wanted to root my Incredible in the first place is so that I can delete apps on my phone that I don't use and never will and are just taking up space on my phone. You know, the junk-ware that comes with it when you get it and can't be uninstalled. Stuff like Slacker radio, VCAST apps, Quickoffice, Footprints, etc. I figure since I have root access to my phone, and I cannot be the first person to want to do this, then there must be some way to do this.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Advertisement

2. wayrad

wayrad Android Expert
    None

May 12, 2010
    Female
    Long Island
    Congratulations on successfully rooting your phone! This thread:
    http://androidforums.com/incredible-all-things-root/335953-how-incredible-root-guides-threads.html
    has links to material on removing bloatware (and much more useful stuff).

Couple of hints: BE SURE to make a nandroid before changing anything! (edited to add: I see you already have, since you've done a restore.) Also, the paid version of Titanium Backup will let you "freeze" apps so they won't run or appear in your app drawer. Either freezing unwanted apps or disabling and moving them is generally considered better than just deleting them, since it's less permanent.

Most custom ROMs already have most or all bloatware deleted, so that's another option. Now that you're rooted, you can easily install a Gingerbread ROM, or one of the Gingersense ones - no need to wait for the official update and go through all the hassle of unrooting and having to wait for a new root exploit to be developed.

3. andywarno

andywarno Member
    None

Nov 17, 2010
    Kalamazoo, MI, USA
    Thanks. I decided to give Cyanogen a shot. It's pretty nice. Still gotta find out how to get apps on the thing though....

EDIT:
    Which I did by installing Gapps by doing an hboot into ClockWork Recovery and installing the zip from my sd card