1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

I want to root but just a few questions

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by tLoz, Dec 26, 2011.

1. tLoz

tLoz Newbie

I have a Sony Ericsson Xperia Play (R800i). I recently updated OTA to 2.3.4. I want to root it now but im not sure how to. I searched on the xda developers website and I'm a bit confused and I just need some clarification:

What is a ROM?
    What are Kernels?
    What is the difference between Zergrush and DoomLrod v3 and which one is better?
    I've read that SuperOneClick is good for noobs who want to root their phones. Should I go with this method and does SuperOneClick support zergrush and/or DoomLrod v3?
    At this stage, I just want to root. Thats it. I just want the ability to be a superuser in my phone. I dont want to do anything fancy to my phone such as getting a custom ICS update etc. So how would I do this?
    Can I still update OTA despite my phone being rooted??

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. paxchristos

paxchristos Android Enthusiast

So I'll try to answer your questions

A Rom is a different flavor to the Android OS on your phone. It get installed in place of the current version of Android on your phone. AOSP (Android Open Source Project) roms are ones that are dedicated to just being android, no bloat, no additions to it (i.e. HTC's Sense UI (User Interface) or Motorola's Motoblur UI.) Other Roms will tell you what they're based off of, and what's changed from stock.

Kernels are what allows the hardware to talk to the software. (wikipedia article describing kernels: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel_(computing) ) For this phone, they need to be flashed separately from any ROM installed

Zergrush is the exploit that is used to root your phone
    DooMLoRD's auto root script (now up to v.4 i think) uses ZergRush to root your phone

Yes, it is. Superoneclick uses zergrush, and does the exact same thing DooMLoRD's script does. The difference is that SuperOneClick has a graphical interface as opposed to just being a script run in commandprompt

Superoneclick is your best bet. It's the easiest way to root.
    Yes, but you'll lose root when you OTA update.

Sony Ericsson Xperia Play Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews