• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I want to root but there's too many choices!

ok, so based on your successful ability to get adb to see your device, try this to get pushing to work:

cd AndroidSDK/tools
./adb push PC36IMG.zip /sdcard/PC36IMG.zip

I know you said you already got the file onto your SD card via mounting it as a disk drive and directly copying it that way. But the above syntax should allow you to do it via adb. There were two potential problems with your original statement:

AndroidSDK/tools/adb push PC36IMG.zip /sdcard

First, where was the location of PC36IMG.zip on your linux box? Was it in the tools folder? If so, you would have needed to use:

AndroidSDK/tools/adb push AndroidsSDK/tools/PC36IMG.zip /sdcard
because your current directory is actually the parent directory of AndroidSDK. The other potential problem is that you specified /sdcard without a trailing slash, which is ambiguous. Did you refer to the sdcard folder? Or did you mean a file located in your phone's root directory named sdcard? The trailing slash removes the ambiguity, telling adb that you mean your sdcard folder on the phone. Specifying the name of the file at the end is just being as clear as possible what you want.

Looks like you're making progress though....

Upvote 0
Hey Novox. Thanks again. I'm making progress but I don't know if it's positive. Apparently I just deleted everything on my sd card. One of the notifications says I have a blank sd card or unsupported file system.

So do you think I should start from the beginning of the root process?

I was copying these commands from this thread over at xda.
[TUTORIAL] How To Root The HTC EVO ~ Part-1 \0/ - xda-developers

Since my sdcard is blank I don't even have the option of selecting disk drive when I plug my phone into the computer. Should I format it? maybe just save sometihng to it? I don't think adb is recognizing the phone anymore.

Upvote 0
Well I guess I'm rooted. I figured I'd add something to the sdcard so I downloaded mybackup and when I started it up a little "info" box popped up.

Info:
Your phone has root access. Do you want to activate extra features for root users? This will make an applications Backup include applicationsdata/settings, as well as Android Market install links.
I guess, even though my sdcard is blank, I should move on to the next step. Should I do a nand? how. Any direction will be appreciated.

So I tried to do a backup and it's telling me no sdcard found. I think I need to format it but I dont want to proceed without confirmation.

Upvote 0
First, let's check to make sure you are fully rooted with nand unlocked.

boot into the bootloader, and verify that you see S-OFF at the end of the first line.

from the bootloader, go into the recovery image and verify you have either RA or clockworkmode

Reboot your phone normally and see if you have the superuser icon in your app drawer.

If you verify all three, you are all set. And yes, do a nandroid backup, which you can access via the recovery image.

Upvote 0
First, let's check to make sure you are fully rooted with nand unlocked.
boot into the bootloader, and verify that you see S-OFF at the end of the first line.
Nope s-on. and apparently the zip file is still there somewhere because it is going through the process again.

from the bootloader, go into the recovery image and verify you have either RA or clockworkmode
Said no to update/ flash

then selected recovery and now I have a triangle with an exclamation point. over a picture of an evo on a black screen.

Upvote 0
So I rebooted into the boot screen.

I let the update proceed.

I get

Parsing...[SD ZIP]
[1] boot-ok
etc -ok
etc -ok
[8] TP (blank)
[9] TP - Bypassed
update complete.

Is this bypassing a big deal?

So I've got these options when I refuse the reboot...
FASTBOOT
RECOVERY
CLEAR STORAGE
SIMLOCK
HBOOT USB

Not sure what to do.

Upvote 0
So this is the next step.

- YOU ARE NOW ROOT!!!
- rename the PC36IMG.zip on your sdcard:
- plug your phone into a usb port on your desktop and do:

Code:
adb shell mv /sdcard/PC36IMG.zip /sdcard/root-PC36IMG.zip

Not sure how to execute this command in my situation. I'll try a few things but I'd like some input. Also, since I just changed the name of the file will this even do anything?

Upvote 0
I also changed the name of the file back to what it was since I think I misunderstood something here.

OK so it seems that my sdcard is named ####-#### and I can't change the name of it. I tried changing sdcard to ####-#### in this command and I still had no luck.

Code:
mike@mike-laptop:~/AndroidSDK/tools$ ./adb shell mv /####-####/PC36IMG.zip /####-####/root-PC36IMG.zip
failed on '/####-####/PC36IMG.zip' - No such file or directory
mike@mike-laptop:~/AndroidSDK/tools$

I'm thinking that I've got some locations wrong again since I know that file is there.

Upvote 0
The phone is designed to look for this file PC36IMG.zip on bootup. If it finds it, it will try to update itself with its contents. If it's not there, the bootloader will continue to boot normally. If you reached the step where you are rooted, you no longer need that file on your SD card. The procedure asks you to rename it (do it any way you deem easiest). Or you can just delete it. Assuming you're rooted, you don't need it anymore.

Check if S-OFF is present on the bootloader screen. if so, go to RECOVERY (volume buttons to navigate, power button to select) and see if you have clockwork or RA. then boot normally and check for the superuser icon in app drawer.

Upvote 0
No S is still ON. That's why I'm stuck.

These are the instructions from xda.

INSTUCTIONS FOR ROOTING:

- Put the PC36IMG.zip on the root of your sdcard

Code:
 adb push PC36IMG.zip /sdcard

- Power off the phone
- Hold volume down while powering the phone on. continue to hold volume down until you see the WHITE bootloader screen.
- After a few seconds it will begin to checking for files, and find PC36IMG.zip. while its doing this it will show a blue progress bar while its checking. (this takes 30 - 60 seconds to finish)
- It will then list all the images in the zip and ask you if want to flash. SAY YES
- When its finished it will ask you if you would like to reboot. AGAIN... SAY YES
- At this point it will boot into a rooted rom.
- YOU ARE NOW ROOT!!!

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{I think I'm stuck about here}}}}}}}}}}}}}}]

- rename the PC36IMG.zip on your sdcard:
- plug your phone into a usb port on your desktop and do:

Code:
adb shell mv /sdcard/PC36IMG.zip /sdcard/root-PC36IMG.zip

Tried entering this code. Don't understand what it's trying to accomplish or why.

Upvote 0
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=690762

The phone is designed to look for this file PC36IMG.zip on bootup. If it finds it, it will try to update itself with its contents. If it's not there, the bootloader will continue to boot normally.
Right the phone found the zip file and updated with it. The second time it seemed to work. Then I selected reboot like the tutorial said.

If you reached the step where you are rooted, you no longer need that file on your SD card.
According to the tutorial...

[URL=http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=690762 said:
[TUTORIAL] How To Root The HTC EVO ~ Part-1 \0/ - xda-developers[/URL]]- YOU ARE NOW ROOT!!!

The procedure asks you to rename it (do it any way you deem easiest). Or you can just delete it. Assuming you're rooted, you don't need it anymore.
Right but then the next terminal command in the tutorial seems to be moving this file that I'm supposed to rename or delete!

Check if S-OFF is present on the bootloader screen.
Nope like I said S is still on.

if so, go to RECOVERY (volume buttons to navigate, power button to select) and see if you have clockwork or RA. then boot normally and check for the superuser icon in app drawer.
What do I do if S is on?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
But before you get there, you need to finish part 1. Rename your PC36IMG.ZIP file and continue. I don't think you're stuck at all.
I renamed it. I just removed the .zip

Then I entered the next code a couple different ways and got file not found messages. First I tried toasts exact workding then I tried this since I noticed my sdcard was not called sdcard it was a series of numbers in the filesystem. I still got the same message.

Code:
mike@mike-laptop:~/AndroidSDK/tools$ ./adb shell mv /####-####/PC36IMG.zip /####-####/root-PC36IMG.zip failed on '/####-####/PC36IMG.zip' - No such file or directory mike@mike-laptop:~/AndroidSDK/tools$

I figure it's not found because I renamed it.

Upvote 0
yes, exactly. move on.
OK then what was the point to that step?

Here's the next steps...

RECOVERY INSTRUCTIONS:

DONE- Extract the evorecovery.zip to your desktop
DONE- plug your phone into a usb port on your desktop
- In a shell:

Code:
  adb reboot recovery

- this will reboot your EVO into recovery mode. at this point turn your attention to the directory u extracted the evorecovery.zip to.

This was extracted to my desktop as directed. When I enter this code the phone reboots but I end up with the evo and a red triangle and exclamation point.

- in a shell do:

Code:
    For Linux ~~> ./recovery-linux.sh

Ok so while I had the triangle and exclamation point. I tryed entering this code but I assume I'm in the wrong shell or something.

Code:
mike@mike-laptop:~/AndroidSDK/tools$ ./recovery-linux.sh
bash: ./recovery-linux.sh: No such file or directory
mike@mike-laptop:~/AndroidSDK/tools$ /desktop/evo-recovery ./recovery-linux.sh
bash: /desktop/evo-recovery: No such file or directory
mike@mike-laptop:~/AndroidSDK/tools$

Upvote 0
anyone have any suggestions or in other words bump?
I didn't read everything (I haven't rooted my phone so you probably know more about it than I do) but I keep seeing that you're attaching the phone to a USB port, but adb devices doesn't show anything. That's probably because you haven't enabled USB debugging.

Try going to Menu -> Settings -> Applications -> Development. Make sure that the USB debugging option is checked. Once it is, you should be able to plug in your phone and run adb devices. It works fine for me...

Code:
$ adb devices
List of devices attached 
HT05YHL12261    device
Note that I just copied adb from the tools directory to my /usr/bin directory (as /usr/bin is in my PATH). If you do the same (copy adb to any directory in your PATH) it will make it much easier to run it.

Also, if you update to 2.2 then you can follow the instructions here to root it:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=765496

It looks like the only choice you have to make is clockwork or amon_RA.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones