• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I want to root but....

NickDroid86

Android Enthusiast
Apr 18, 2010
Largo, FL
i have no idea what is meant in the instructions. I have a computer but no internet and I do have a flash drive so I can go and download the needed files but I dont understand what they are.. What is a rom? Sorry for sounding dumb. I am into the technical stuff but not sure what this means. Anyone want to mentor me?

I am a bit confused myself. You are "into the technical stuff" but you don't know what rooting means? I'm sorry if I seem rude, but, this just doesn't make sense.

As long as you can download the necessary files somewhere, you can install the sdk on your own PC and perform the root process there.

Basically look at a ROM as being a base image for your phone. There are quite a few custom roms out there with different skins, themes and pre-installed apps.

Upvote 0
This is pretty much the complete guide to rooting: http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-eris/53963-guide-stock-1-5-latest-root-2-1-a.html

You will find links there to download the android sdk, java, the all-in-one script to make rooting easier and the recovery image.

After you do this, if you just want the stock looking 2.1 rom with Sense, may I suggest this rom: [ROM] Plain Jane 2.1 - OTA UPDATE BASED w/ zanfur OC Kernel - xda-developers

May I also highly suggest that you create an account over at the xda forum. There really is a vast selection of ROMs and resources that you will find quite handy that aren't here.

Upvote 0
If you manually installed the OTA yes you can still root. And yes you can remove factory apps through sdk or a few other ways, but be careful doing so, some of those apps have to remain on the phone for i certain parts of it to work from what i understand. how much free memory? that depends on the rom you choose to run. all you have to do now is to see if you are able to root.

Upvote 0
Col thanks, im going to my grandmas in a couple hours. Can someone be so kind as to post everything I will need to download when I go to use her computer? ill probably use a basic rom to get me started. So far i understand I need to download android sdk, java, a rom off my choice, what else?

i recommend using the Eris Master Application for rooting. It does it all for you. Read the sticky thread. It was very simple.

Upvote 0
I went to the ema that is stickied, scrolled down to where it said 2.1 version released on 5/5/2010. Clicked on the ema download under prereq's it brought up 2 files, one was 1.xMb and the other was a windows driver that was 6.1mb, i downloaded both with my eris now im going to transplant them to my computer. 2 questions, can I download w my phone and transplant all the files like that? And are those 2 the correct files? What else do I need?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones