1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root I want to root my Atrix.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by morejaylesswar, Apr 22, 2011.

1. morejaylesswar

None

Mar 12, 2011
    But why do I want to root it?

As stated in my previous threads, this is my first Android phone. (Simultaneous iPhone and BlackBerry user before this.) Today is a week since I've had it. I don't know why I want to root it or what rooting essentially is. Everyone I ask explains it really nonchalantly like "Oh, it's just rooting. You just root the device and you're rooted." WTF IS THAT, MAN? Give me the 'rooting for dummies' version.

I should google that... Rooting for dummies.

Anyway, can someone really break down what rooting is in a slow, extra-careful way. Someone told me that it's just like jailbreaking, but I don't see the similarities in the process or in what's going on inside my device. This seems a bit more invasive into the actual make of the phone.

I'm really excited to jump into the world of Android but with baby leaps first.

Oh, and what is MOTOBLUR and why does everyone hate it? What are the benefits of having it versus not having it?

Advertisement

2. morejaylesswar

None

Mar 12, 2011
    AH-HA!

Googled rooting for Dummies and ended up here, then here.

I love this website, man. You're all so thorough and non-condescending.

3. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery
    None

Jan 20, 2010
    Where the Sakura grows
    @morejaylesswar: I'm not sure if you're rooted by now, but if you aren't please use gladroot . This root method is specifically designed for the Atrix :)

I know super-one-click will make your rooted Atrix wonky as it place another busy-box on the phone.

4. kilasix9

kilasix9 Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 23, 2010
    Male
    Sales
    Miami
    Gingerbreak FTW.

5. log1c

log1c Android Enthusiast
    None

May 12, 2011
    California Love
    I used Gingerbreak. But basically "Root" gives you full access to the phone, sort of how Linux has full access to a computer or like when you run as admin on a pc, so it unlocks whatever At&t or Motorola locked. The reason I rooted my Atrix was because I was on At&t and I could not install "Unknown Sources" like the rest of the Android community, I also wanted to install Gingerblur which is ROM access to change the launcher of our phones, I ended up not getting around to doing that, but I did get sideloading onto our phones which allows the option to install unknown sources.

6. kilasix9

kilasix9 Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 23, 2010
    Male
    Sales
    Miami
    I love that Gingerblur removed the ATT bloatware, allowed sideloading and improved performance all in one shot. There wasn't much for me to do after GB was installed lol.