1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

I want to root my gs2 but have questions

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by martytarty, Sep 14, 2011.

1. martytarty

martytarty Member

I have an o2 UK branded gs2, I want to root and get rid of the branding and would like to unlock the phone so its sim free

Can someone point me to the best rooting and flashing guide, I would also like to know which rom is regarded as the best so I can use it

Can I get the official unbranded handset rom?

If I can does this mean I will get ota updates direct from manufacturer rather than my network

If I do ota updates does my phone stay rooted?

Will I lose my apps, phone numbers, settings etc after rooting and flashing?

After rooting flashing etc.. will I need to install a new wifi app?

I have come from HTC desire, I miss HTC sense Widgets and keyboard etc.....

Is there a rom for gs2 that's like HTC sense?

Anything else I need to know before I root?

Advertisement

2. Sydney99

Sydney99 Android Expert

1. go to the sticky thread above, use the CF-root guide. it's very easy and reliable. i couldn't get superoneclick to work, and others have had issues.

2. KG5 is the latest "officical" unbranded rom - it will load up samsung stock rom without your o2 bloatware

3. no, you have to keep a lookout manually

4. after rooting, if you update your firmware again, you loose root, and have to reroot

5. usually not, the firmware page warns which will wipe data. once ur rooted you can do full back-ups of this info anyway.

6. no

7. if you don't like samsung's touchwiz, there's alternatives out there

8. don't know, sorry, seen it talked about elsewhere but never taken much notice

9. you'll void your warranty. but generally accepted on here it's very safe/easy (although one poor chap bricked his phone when a lead got pulled during flashing/rooting)

in my opinion, your phone comes to life and releases it's full potential when you go down this route. good luck. any further problems there's plenty of people on here who'll help.:D

martytarty likes this.
  3. martytarty

martytarty Member

Cheers for your straight forward answers, very helpful

4. martytarty

martytarty Member

Another question,

With my o2 branded handset is there anything I need to make sure I use based on my current below software details

Baseband version is I9100XXKE7

Android 2.3.3

BUILD Gingerbread xwkf3

5. Sydney99

Sydney99 Android Expert

nope!

keep a note of these incase you ever want to revert back (unlikely!)

otherwise if you're flashing to a new firmware, it doesn't matter what you're currently on.

martytarty likes this.
  6. androidistic

androidistic Newbie

Hello,

I am trying to download odin from XDA, I cant install it, I am running Win7 is this a problem?

7. Shotgun84

Shotgun84 Extreme Android User

It shouldn't be a problem. I have Win7 and it works perfectly. Have you got kies open as apparently it doesn't like Odin.

androidistic likes this.
  8. martytarty

martytarty Member

2. KG5 is the latest "officical" unbranded rom - it will load up samsung stock rom without your o2 bloatware

Can someone give me the direct link to the above rom

9. martytarty

martytarty Member

i hope i aint fooked up, i think i have simply flashed my phone with the firmware on the above link, no actual root

im now have kg5 firmware, so i have now downloaded cf root kg5 version and am trying to add that via the same method, now im stuck on get PIT for mapping

please someone help me recover this mess

10. martytarty

martytarty Member

ok panic over, i simply tried it again and it worked, im rooted and booted

11. Remeniz

Remeniz Android Enthusiast

I've had my SGS2 for just over a month now and i'm seriously tempted to root it.

What's the benefits of a rooted SGS2?

12. martytarty

martytarty Member

Can someone just confirm something for me?

I'm rooted and flashed, am I now free to flash different roms to see which is the best and will I lose root each time I flash a rom?

Also once I get rid of that yellow triangle on boot is it gone forever or does it come back

13. Sydney99

Sydney99 Android Expert

all custom roms leave you with a rooted phone.

if you flash a stock rom (ie. a stock firmware) you will loose root.

you will regain your yellow triangle every time you re-root or flash an insecure kernel.

as someone else suggested, wear your yellow badge with pride!!

14. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member

This can be avoided if you flash kernels using the CWM app instead of Odin.