• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I want to root my samsung galaxy s7 edge - Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge

Hello all! I have a samsung galaxy s7 edge. And well for one i really scored with the price i paid for this phone! A friend of mine sold it to me for $300! Yep thats a great deal! Its a blessing from the lord!!!! So yes i own own the phone. And i live in united states. And my phone carrier is verizon. And they just released the nougat 7.0 firmware update. And aparently now with that update i can root my phone? So before i do it, i have some questions to ask you all? Because i never rooted a phone before. And i want to make sure to do it right so i dont brick my phone? So anyone who knows a lot about rooting a phone? Please get back to me. Thanks!

My first question would be - Why are you looking to root your phone? Samsung is not easy to root and you lose features like Samsung Pay and Netflix, not to mention Samsung states it will void their warranty. There are several resources on XDA that can allow you to root if you are still interested, though.

Hi, thanks for getting back to me! And yes im aware that i will loose the ability to use a few factory installed apps like android pay? I dont even know what samsung pay is actually used for? Can you please explain samsung pay to me? But i dont have factory installed netflix. Although i am going to get netflix soon? One of the reasons i want to root my phone is to uninstall the bloatware i will never use? I think its bs that samsung and my phone carrier force me to have things installed on my phone that i will never use! Because its taking up memory space on my phone. And thats just not right for them to do!!!!! I would understand if a person is on a divice plan? And they dont own own their phone like me? But yea with netflix? I do plan to get it and also maybe another streaming app or 2? Because im getting the gear vr for this phone soon. That gear vr is pretty good! So ill be streaming the vr content. So if i root my phone will there be certain apps like netflix that i wont be able to download and use?

Upvote 0
My first question would be - Why are you looking to root your phone? Samsung is not easy to root and you lose features like Samsung Pay and Netflix, not to mention Samsung states it will void their warranty. There are several resources on XDA that can allow you to root if you are still interested, though.

And also, as far as the warranty? Thats fine. Watranties are good to have yes! For sure! But ill just deal with not having warranty. Which brings me to my next queation? When it comes to bricking a phone? What is it exactly during the rooting process is it that a person does that causes their phone to brick? I want to know so i dont do that thing? So i dont brick my phone? I think it has something to do with when you flash a new rom? But what if i dont want to flash a new rom after i root my phone? Do i have to flash a new rom? Mainly i just want to get the bloatware off of my phone? If i can do that without flashing a new rom? Then thats would work for what i want.

Upvote 0
Samsung pay is a encrypted payment system to help consolidate credit cards/banking into a single payment system. As far as Netflix, the play store app will no longer work because of DRM. I would suggest installing and running Package Disabler Pro for Samsung devices before trying to root. There are a great many ways to brick a device, Let me know if the package disabler works for you.

Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0
Uninstalling bloatware won't actually save you space, because pre-installed apps live in a different partition from your apps, and uninstalling them won't make that partition any smaller (there will just be free space in a partition that you can't use).

Any data those apps store does use "your" space, but if you clear data for the bloat apps, uninstall any updates to them (which also use your space), then disable them (so they can't run, store more data or update) that will bring you all of the benefits you'd have got from uninstalling them without the risk or effort, and without preventing you from using Netflix on it (because it's not just a pre-installed Netflix that will not work if rooted).

Another point to consider is that you won't be able to install any more official updates once you root unless you return to unmodified software, accept the update, then root again. You don't have to install a custom ROM, but once you root then either using custom ROMs or the procedure above will be the only way to update in future.

Not telling you not to root - I'm typing this on a rooted phone - just making sure some of the implications are known.

Reactions: Snakeyeskm
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones