• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I want to send sms to a few people at once.

pcavins

Lurker
May 21, 2011
Hey guys-

I'm a droid newbie so be nice:)

I'm getting used to having a smart phone, I'm liking it. I am missing a texting feature that I used on my dinosaur dumb phone.

I play in a rock band. We organize practices by texting. In my old phone, I could set up a contact that was a group (not the gmail term) contact, so that I could choose it from the contact list and send a text out to my four band mates at once.

I'm having a hard time getting that going in droid land.

Can somebody help a needy newbie?

This is one way of doing it...

1. Create a group in your gmail Contacts (call it Band)... see here

Creating contact groups - Gmail Help

2. Download and install Handcent (or GoSMS, etc.) free from the Market.

3. Use one of the above to compose your text and select "To:"

4. A list of your sync'd gmail Contacts is shown and next to it will be your Group that you created in gmail. You can create as many groups as you like using this method.

Hope this helps. :D

Upvote 0
I have an HTC, its contact manager is called people. I would think there must be a way to create a group in your contacts app. If you sync your contacts to gmail then ironass has a good suggestion.
I'm guessing that pcavins doesn't have an HTC handset.

Might prove useful in future postings if you could let people know which make/model of handset you have pcavins, as well as the version of Android you are running. This could be added permanently by you to your Android Forums profile (see mine on the left) and saves a lot of ambiguity.

Upvote 0
You can easily type the name of each contact in the to line and select them, you don't have to send text from the contacts app.

You can also go to the contacts app, hit menu - display groups - create new group.
Add the names of your band members to the group. When you go to the texting app, type in the name of the group.

Upvote 0
Hey Pool Shark. I'm a Buckeye too, I live in Cincinnati. I don't see any offering in my contact app about displaying groups. I'm perplexed by that.

I'm very new to the Droid thing, and there is a way of thinking that I'll come around to. Thanks-

PC

Cool.

I guess all of our phones don't have the same features in the same apps.
You can still just type the names on the line.

Upvote 0
pcavins, if you are just unable to create a group in contacts directly on your phone, just log onto your google account online from any browser and create the group list there. Once you do this, your newly created group should show up on your phone in the "Contacts" area. Then you can use any messaging app to send to the group contact as needed. Hopefully this helps.

Upvote 0
Thanks, woods. I guess my messaging app is overly lame. I would have thought that using a group of contacts was simple.

I did create the group on my gmail page, so it is in the mix, but it hasn't been of great use in my phone's software.

I did get a group app "expandable group by Acontact, and can now get the job done.

I'm surprised at how clunky it all is-

PC

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones